What's new

What is your favorite shave stick?

Valobra is always wonderful. But it's always been expensive as well, and I think it's now out of production. Even so, Speick is my #1 pick! Sticks are great for travel, and I've got my Speick in a repurposed LEA container.

i'm not gonna name my top 2 because i'd just be naming the only 2 store bought sticks that i've tried so far. (although i do love them both).

But i will absolutely backup the comments that said Cella makes a GREAT home-made stick. I made a 40g (1 oz) stick out of 4 maggard cella brick samples. It's much softer than the store bought sticks, so it smears really easily all over your face, you get enough lather to shave 3 passes for you and your whole neighborhood and a family of water buffaloes.

i'm not gonna name my top 2 because i'd just be naming the only 2 store bought sticks that i've tried so far. (although i do love them both).

But i will absolutely backup the comments that said Cella makes a GREAT home-made stick. I made a 40g (1 oz) stick out of 4 maggard cella brick samples. It's much softer than the store bought sticks, so it smears really easily all over your face, you get enough lather to shave 3 passes for you and your whole neighborhood and a family of water buffaloes.

Cella does work great in a stick.

Don't say that you'll cause a stampede.

I can't imagine why! I've only found a few soaps that have been immediately tossed because they burned my face, and LEA is one of them. So I peeled off the label and squished some Speick into the bottom. It's been serving me faithfully that way for 3 Speick sticks and about 6 years!

I too recycled the LEA stick (It got smashed into a frankensoap because of average performance... didn't irritate me). Wilk sword stick is in its home now.

Pretty sure I've posted it here before... but Speick stick for me. Best current soap imho.

The Tabac stick is just about perfect. Easy to apply and lather with every brush I’ve used, very slick, rinses off quickly and thoroughly, lasts a long time and has a light, pleasant scent. (Some disagree strongly on the last point. But, then, I’m not much of a scent guy.) Other less expensive sticks, like Wilkinson Sword, Palmolive and even Arko, come quite close, but the Tabac refillable tube sets the standard for packaging, especially for travel.

I loved Irisch Moos but it's no longer available. I also like Palmolive sticks a lot and they are my go-to when I need a shave stick. I bought a couple of DR Harris sticks (lavender and sandalwood) but I haven't tried them yet. Derby delivered a great shave but good God, the strength of the scent almost drove me out of the bathroom.

If L'Occitane would make Cade soap in stick form, I'd be a very happy camper as that's my all-time favorite soap. I'll even promise to buy the inevitable shave stick holder accessory if they would just make the soap sticks.

Well if we're including homemade sticks, it's either Haslinger Aloe Vera or Barrister's Reserve Fern.
Of the ones sold as a stick, I like La Toja.

I can't imagine why! I've only found a few soaps that have been immediately tossed because they burned my face, and LEA is one of them. So I peeled off the label and squished some Speick into the bottom. It's been serving me faithfully that way for 3 Speick sticks and about 6 years!
LEA is one of the few hard soaps I'm not familiar with. I meant talk of valobra being discontinued will cause a panic. Looking at my regular vendors, it's widely available...?

For those who prefer Speick to Tabac (i like both a lot), what do you put that down to (disregarding scent for a minute); they have identical ingredients until you get down to the minutiae. Could it be the Speick plant extract, perhaps that makes it a little less drying, or do you find the actual lather superior in use?

For those who prefer Speick to Tabac (i like both a lot), what do you put that down to (disregarding scent for a minute); they have identical ingredients until you get down to the minutiae. Could it be the Speick plant extract, perhaps that makes it a little less drying, or do you find the actual lather superior in use?

I find Tabac performs a little better than Speick. It could be the way the ingredients are combined, the amount and so fourth. They are both great soaps but I think Tabac performs better but Speick has a better scent. One of the best scents of any soap.

I have one stick left of Sir Irisch Moos, and it is my fav. Same soap base as Tabac (made by same folks); for me a slightly nicer scent, although I do like Tabac.

I voted Speick over Tabac because of the scent, I can only use Tabac in the cooler months but I can use Speick year round. Otherwise the performance to me is the same, excellent!

Top Bottom