What's new

Looking for a new brush...

Hey all, I've been wetshaving for a while now and I'm mostly happy with my setup, but my stirling soap badger brush has never impressed me much and has been shedding the entire time I own. Recently it's been bad enough that I'm losing 5 or more hairs per shave so I figure it's finally time to upgrade to something better. I'm needing a solid daily shaver (always using a bowl) that will last. I've been looking into the Duke 2 brush since many say it's a great all around one, but I'm kind of interested in some of the smaller designers on etsy and the like. Also, I think I prefer the look of wooden handles. I don't have any interest in owning a bunch of different brushes, so does anyone have any recommendations for a be all end all brush?

Hey all, I've been wetshaving for a while now and I'm mostly happy with my setup, but my stirling soap badger brush has never impressed me much and has been shedding the entire time I own. Recently it's been bad enough that I'm losing 5 or more hairs per shave so I figure it's finally time to upgrade to something better. I'm needing a solid daily shaver (always using a bowl) that will last. I've been looking into the Duke 2 brush since many say it's a great all around one, but I'm kind of interested in some of the smaller designers on etsy and the like. Also, I think I prefer the look of wooden handles. I don't have any interest in owning a bunch of different brushes, so does anyone have any recommendations for a be all end all brush?

Anandre,

As with all things YMMV, it'll be better if you could give some ideas about your preferences such as hair type, size (knot loft, diameter), density (high or lower density knots) for example.

If you are looking at natural hair brushes, it would be best to have 2 to 3 so you can allow them to dry in between shaves. A constantly wet brush may not last as long as well maintained brush.

If you want just one brush that is maintenance free, get a synthetic such as a Yaqi.

I second Yaqi brushes if you want a non shedding and maintenance free synthetic brush. Yaqi has lots of interesting handles and different knots. Decent prices and occasional sales. They also have various badger knots. I have several and have had no issues with them.

The Yaqi synths are great brushes, and represent excellent value. For a really excellent badger knot at a fair price for what you're getting, the Elite Manchurian are well worth a look.
I'm not sure if the Yaqi's are available with wood handles, but probably not. Elite do very nice wood handles, or supply knots for you to put in your own choice of handle.

Omega 11126. Boar.
Ovangkol wood handle.
To this day it remains one of my all time favorites...even against others from Simpson, Paladin, Semogue, Vey, Yaqi, Vie-Long, and a few others. For $20.00 +/- you are not going to go wrong.

I only use synths, and my priorities would be a short handle, good backbone and a dense knot with soft hair tips. I personally like 26mm, though I still like denser 24mm brushes. The Simpson Chubby 2 at 28mm is one example, though others prefer the Duke. Still others prefer the Muhle - EJ - Frank Shaving knots, which have good backbone and soft tips. I haven't tried those.

I'd recommend a couple of Yaqis - the Moka Express Mew Brown knot and the Sagrada Familia with a Tuxedo knot. Both 24mm. Easy to hold and face lather with, soft and good backbone.

Sagrada+Moka.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The Semogue SOC boar is a most excellent bowl brush (and my personal choice for most comfortable wood handle in the business) for a very reasonable price.

Regarding omega boar brushes, that was actually my first brush and I didn't like it at all. The badger felt better for sure. I'm also not a fan of synthetic anything hence why I prefer wood handles. I did forget to mention, I don't actually shave every day, only every other day so there's plenty of time for the brush to dry.

I looked up the semogue and the 2 band in cherry wood looks great

The SOC boar is one of the softest boar brushes I've ever used, but still not a badger. I prefer badgers, but enjoy all manner of brushes. Yaqi has some decent cheap badgers too, but my personal favorite is a Shavemac 2 band badger.

Looks like you were interested in a nice, smaller badger.

To address that question: Yes! Simpson’s Duke 2 (in best or super) is a great brush!! Other Simpsons to consider in that range are the Chubby 1 (everyone should try a Chubby) and Classic 2, also terrific!! :a14::a14:

In typical B+B fashion, others here have suggested good boar and synthetic options which are also worth considering. It comes down to what will make you happy!!

The absolute best value in a 24mm best badger from Simpson is the Commodore X3. Under $60....no other Simpson in 24+ mm best comes close.

Top Bottom