What's new

MARTIN DE CANDRE - UH, IT'S ALRIGHT, BUT....

@MrSmith83 got it right in my opinion, expect good soap that's not exactly a bargain.
My only advice, it loads super easy, but I'd still load it generously (and add water as you go) for the first few shaves anyway.

Oh, and do report back after few shaves, good or bad, it's always interesting to hear how others are finding it.

I've tried too many to list different soaps and have a few currently that I quite like (Tabac/MWF/T&H cream/Castle Forbes/Ach Brito/D.R. Harris/PdP...etc) but recently have a hard time picking anything other than MDC. :D

I have used it almost exclusively lately and gotten a good shave every time. I started "loading it more generously" on my own soon after I posted my comments originally and it has made a difference. It is very cushioning to me and the slickness is great too. As for the scent, I have no desire to "take a whiff for no reason" like some soaps, but the scent isn't bad either. It simply smells kind of medicinal to me, but not a deal breaker.

In short, I am glad I have tried it. Not sure I would buy again, but I have enjoyed using it. All good.

In short, I am glad I have tried it. Not sure I would buy again, but I have enjoyed using it. All good.

You're saying that because you haven't gone back to "lesser soaps" yet, soon enough you'll realize you're buying it again.

I'm just kidding of course. :D :D :D

I am in agreement with you on scents though (so far I have tried 3) and while 2 of the 3 are "quite nice" to my nose, they don't make me want to as you said "sniff them for no reason". Not like for example B&M Seville, Castle Forbes Lavender, Stirling (Gentleman) or Speick do.

I do however like that they are very mild, not overpowering scents, they are "there" but not "in your face" strong.

I was glad to have only bought and tried a sampler. it's ok-good, not the best I've tried, not something I'd buy even if I was buying directly in person. I mean, for personal use. it's an effective profit motive if you're in the neighborhood.

doubling the price due to shipping is additionally egregious to me, but some are happy to get what they can.

I tried out a sampler from MDC Fougere and I binned it on 3rd shave. It was one of those very rare (for me) case where my skin have reacted to a soap. Even if the sample was not binned, for the price, I would rate MDC as just one of those soaps that doesn't stand out and jump at you but gets the job done.

How is PdP 63 compared to MdC ?

In my opinion, PdP 63 is a very good soap, I just didn't like the scent - way too "floral" for my taste. Many claim "masculine" scent, but I did not get that at all (on the other hand, my wife felt it was incredible). I gave it to a good friend of mine who loves it, both, scent and performance.

I think (didn't do any "in depth" comparison between the two) that I prefer MDC to it. Going by my memory, I feel it's just a bit more protective and a bit easier to generate massive amounts of lather. Both great soaps in my opinion.

My MdC came in and I was able to get a first shave. Initial impressions:

• Scent (fougere) - Lovely scent that is somewhat neutral, so I doubt I'll get tired of it. Limited staying power. High marks here.
  • Slickness - Excellent. This was a lighter lather than my other soaps, yet really slick.
  • Cushion - Good. It didn't feel as heavy as other lathers, but I had zero irritation after.
  • Amount of soap required - This is the key. I was able to get three passes after only rubbing my SOC boar (not a stiff brush) around the top of the soap for five seconds. Honestly, that amount of rubbing would get me nowhere with my other soaps. To be fair, the third pass was showing that I needed a little more soap in the brush, but I was really impressed with how such little soap could create so much lather. Next time I'll rub for 7.3 seconds.
  • Value - Is this a top-tier performer? Not sure. I got an irritation-free BBS, so that's a good sign. I'll need to get a few more shaves under my belt to perfect the soap/water ratio. I do feel pretty confident that I can get 365 shaves with this large jar of soap, so that would make the $47 investment a good value. That's more shaves than I'd get from $47 or B&M for sure. Time will tell if the quality of shave is equal.

I'll report back after I spend some time with this and the Agrumes (citrus) soap.

Very interesting thread, this.
I agree with @McNutt (Tony) above; the quantity of soap required for three passes of lather is remarkably small. When I first used this soap, I overloaded significantly, and subsequently was not sufficiently hydrating the soap in the lathering process. It took a few attempts to dial it in, but all good now. All up, a jolly good soap, albeit pricey.

• Scent (fougere) - Lovely scent that is somewhat neutral, so I doubt I'll get tired of it. Limited staying power. High marks here.
  • Slickness - Excellent. This was a lighter lather than my other soaps, yet really slick.
  • Cushion - Good. It didn't feel as heavy as other lathers, but I had zero irritation after.
  • Amount of soap required - This is the key. I was able to get three passes after only rubbing my SOC boar (not a stiff brush) around the top of the soap for five seconds. Honestly, that amount of rubbing would get me nowhere with my other soaps. To be fair, the third pass was showing that I needed a little more soap in the brush, but I was really impressed with how such little soap could create so much lather. Next time I'll rub for 7.3 seconds.
  • Value - Is this a top-tier performer? Not sure. I got an irritation-free BBS, so that's a good sign. I'll need to get a few more shaves under my belt to perfect the soap/water ratio. I do feel pretty confident that I can get 365 shaves with this large jar of soap, so that would make the $47 investment a good value. That's more shaves than I'd get from $47 or B&M for sure. Time will tell if the quality of shave is equal.

I'll report back after I spend some time with this and the Agrumes (citrus) soap.

Great feedback and review. I will 2nd the scent profile of Fougere and spot on assessment. It took me a shave or two to get the proper water content with MdC, but once I did the lather and soap performed nicely. As for value, much has been said. In comparison to other soaps, it is neither a value or exorbitant waste of money. I bought mine in France, paid more than you and I certainly have no regrets. It's part of the hobby, spending money. Thanks for sharing.

Nice review brother.

@Earcutter was kind enough to send me a sample of the Fougère, I’ll use it today and report back. The scent will take some getting used to. Have a tub of the Rose scent coming in tomorrow (supposedly, USPS has been completely weird lately) and I’ll try that too.

Kind of amazed that’s all you need for a 3 pass shave, I load pretty much everything like I hate it and it’s usually 25-30 seconds or more.

I really enjoy MDC soaps and I have 3 scents. Rose, Vetiver and Fougere. I’ve talked to a couple well known US artisan soap makers about MDC and one conversation really stuck out to me. It’s basically a simple formula and one that many US soap makers have tried to duplicate but have failed in his words. The reason is for one the MDC is primarily a body soap maker, family owned small company that has been making soap for a very long time and their damned good at it! Also he mentioned that he knows of no other soap maker that cures their soaps for 6 months before releasing them for sale. This process makes sure to eliminate as much water/moisture as possible which is why MDC recommends leaving the cap off once you open it! Optimum procedure when using a Shave soap is to scrap or scoop some soap out of a jar and bowl later as loading from the puck is only putting back water/moisture which they take 6 months to get rid of. I actually called them once not to long ago and had a nice conversation with the daughter.
I like and enjoy the brand not only because of the soaps scents which I enjoy and the performance which works very well for me but also the story, heritage and pride they take in crafting their products.

So I’m a fan of the brand and it has nothing to do with the price of the product, perceived exclusiveness of the brand or price per application. i just simply like MDC products including their bath soaps.
Just my spin on the brand.
I agree completely, MDC is one of my top three!

I really enjoy MDC soaps and I have 3 scents. Rose, Vetiver and Fougere. I’ve talked to a couple well known US artisan soap makers about MDC and one conversation really stuck out to me. It’s basically a simple formula and one that many US soap makers have tried to duplicate but have failed in his words. The reason is for one the MDC is primarily a body soap maker, family owned small company that has been making soap for a very long time and their damned good at it! Also he mentioned that he knows of no other soap maker that cures their soaps for 6 months before releasing them for sale. This process makes sure to eliminate as much water/moisture as possible which is why MDC recommends leaving the cap off once you open it! Optimum procedure when using a Shave soap is to scrap or scoop some soap out of a jar and bowl later as loading from the puck is only putting back water/moisture which they take 6 months to get rid of. I actually called them once not to long ago and had a nice conversation with the daughter.
I like and enjoy the brand not only because of the soaps scents which I enjoy and the performance which works very well for me but also the story, heritage and pride they take in crafting their products.

So I’m a fan of the brand and it has nothing to do with the price of the product, perceived exclusiveness of the brand or price per application. i just simply like MDC products including their bath soaps.
Just my spin on the brand.

+1 to this well thought out post.

I’ve stated previously that SWMBO got me to try MdC shave soap because she has been a big fan of their other products for many years. MdC isn’t everyone’s bag, nor should it be. Unfortunately many here and other forums see the price, the small ingredients list, and equate that with over charging.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm currently only using two soaps: MdC unscented and WK Pasha's Pride. The MdC is far and away the cheaper of the two. I buy two at a time and the last purchase was $98 for two - including shipping and a very nice free sample of bath soap.

That $49 tub lasts me about 13 months of daily three pass shaves. The WK (also excellent) would require 3 tubs for the same length of time - making it quite a bit more money.

I travel with Haslinger's, which is a very good soap, but nothing else has made it to my top tier.

Kind of amazed that’s all you need for a 3 pass shave, I load pretty much everything like I hate it and it’s usually 25-30 seconds or more.

It was pretty neat to only take a few swirls before getting a lather. Like you, I swirl my other soaps for a really long time, and that's after soaking them in hot water for five minutes while I shower. With MdC I spent five seconds using a SoC boar brush that I totally wrung out beforehand. I can't imagine what one of my stiffer badger brushes would do to this soap. Let me know how the rose scent smells. That one has me intrigued.

Dragonsbeard, that's good information. I've heard that you're supposed to swirl on the tub while holding it upside down to avoid getting much water on the soap. Whatever the correct method, it's certainly a very different type of soap.

I'll second what Frank said about a lot of artisan soapmakers trying to make a "dupe" of MdC and failing miserably. Scent ingredient list is just not enough information. To duplicate it entirely you'd have to know exact measurements of each ingredient and also the exact process. Beyond that you'd have to age the soap 6 months, and in similar conditions.

In short, the idea of getting a U.S.-made artisan dupe of MdC that performs exactly like MdC is doomed from the start.

The Vetyver is my favorite MDC scent! I will agree with what a few others have said about little to no post shave goodies, but I actually like that I have to apply an aftershave. I own all the flavors but rose and I would happily shave with MDC every day if I didn't have so many other soaps. Great thread to read through!

@It's Hedley I'm glad to hear you picked some up!

@Steinmetzify

It’s a testament to soaps value that we can load it like we hate it for months on end and still have half a tub of soap left! I’m all for loading like we hate it, but in the case of MdC, it’s just a little overkill. Not too much overkill, just a little.

As for the scent of the Fougère’s scent taking some getting used to, I’m surprised. I found it pretty unassuming. I wonder if being that the sample traveled from KS to the Caribbean before heading out west to you made a difference lol.

Probably not, but that was pretty funny.

Last edited:
The Vetyver is my favorite MDC scent! I will agree with what a few others have said about little to no post shave goodies, but I actually like that I have to apply an aftershave. I own all the flavors but rose and I would happily shave with MDC every day if I didn't have so many other soaps. Great thread to read through!

@It's Hedley I'm glad to hear you picked some up!

Greetings Matt. You were the original influencer on my MdC purchase with your high praise. I am certain I smelled the Vetyver when sampling, but I ended up with Agrumes and Fougere with the wife's help. Agrumes seems to be a underappreciated scent here as I have not seen much love given, but it is a fantastic warm weather scent. The Fougere is what I would consider a year around scent. I might have picked up Rose, but I have a tub of Grooming Dept Mallard Rose and I thought it would be too redundant. Let's hook up soon to catch up.

It was pretty neat to only take a few swirls before getting a lather. Like you, I swirl my other soaps for a really long time, and that's after soaking them in hot water for five minutes while I shower. With MdC I spent five seconds using a SoC boar brush that I totally wrung out beforehand. I can't imagine what one of my stiffer badger brushes would do to this soap. Let me know how the rose scent smells. That one has me intrigued.

Dragonsbeard, that's good information. I've heard that you're supposed to swirl on the tub while holding it upside down to avoid getting much water on the soap. Whatever the correct method, it's certainly a very different type of soap.
Thanks for the tip on the upside down jar, makes a lot of sense, I really enjoy the rose scent, its mild and natural. My wife loves the fragrance. I only use Thayers rose petal witch hazel afterwards, mostly for the scent as you already know the post shave is fantastic!

..... Amount of soap required - This is the key. I was able to get three passes after only rubbing my SOC boar (not a stiff brush) around the top of the soap for five seconds. Honestly, that amount of rubbing would get me nowhere with my other soaps. To be fair, the third pass was showing that I needed a little more soap in the brush, but I was really impressed with how such little soap could create so much lather. Next time I'll rub for 7.3 seconds.

My advice would still be to load for at least 10-15 seconds (even though you don't "need to" do it), but, do it anyway, at least initially until you get to know the soap better. The lather when a bit more soap is laoded is anything but light, especially if you play with amount of water added as you go, and at least for me, ends up also being very protective.

Because it's so easy to lather, it's easy to not use "enough" soap with MDC - a little bit extra goes a long way towards perfect shave.

Top Bottom