What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, whats your favorite Japanese razor so far?

Only used it a couple of times since FFFMM, last time it gave me a 1 inch slice down one cheek - looked worse than it really was (no scar). The edge has been sorted out nice and sharp, but my reluctance to round off the square point has cost me in blood. So put it aside until I round off that lethal point.
It's a 1/4 hollow western grind.

FTFY.

Elizabeth Razor.jpg

Would you say your Hoshi Tombo grind is about like this one? (This is a vendor's photo of a quarter hollow)? If so, how difficult has yours been to hone? I assume no tape, right? I assume, because it's Japanese steel, that honing it takes a bit of time. I know you've described having some trouble getting the edge just right, but what have you learned by honing that HT?

I learned the hard way about "fixing" those points! I have a sword fighting scar near my left ear (it's fading, but not gone; the scar, not my ear).

What's my favorite Japanese razor?

H.Diamond.back.640.7-12-19.JPG

The H. Diamond is definitely it for looks and coolness.

6-28-19.JapaneseRazors(2+1).480.JPG

The bottom two razors here shave just as well (or maybe better). [The top freebie razor has a weird grind on both sides - very weird, what was someone thinking - and I've not tried to fix it yet.]

Given how good the shave was this morning with my Spalding I'd be hard pressed to say I'm getting substantially better shaves with the several of my razors the vendor honed (I mean here the one vendor who clearly is a master honer) as compared with shaves from my best edges on other Japanese razors.

I don't have enough experience with any of the Japanese razors yet to pick a favorite other than on looks. That's a lousy answer but it's true.

Do you have a favorite Japanese razor?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
FTFY.

View attachment 999031

Would you say your Hoshi Tombo grind is about like this one? (This is a vendor's photo of a quarter hollow)? If so, how difficult has yours been to hone? I assume no tape, right? I assume, because it's Japanese steel, that honing it takes a bit of time. I know you've described having some trouble getting the edge just right, but what have you learned by honing that HT?
Yep, that picture looks pretty close to mine.
I bought the razor from a vendor in Sweden and it was probably the best edge I've encountered. I was able to keep the edge going easily enough until it got a chip when one of my cats knocked some of my razors of a shelf onto the floor. It was rather painfull getting the chip out, having to remove all that steel.

Anyway, could never get it back to the edge that it once had until FFFMM came along.
I tried it with tape, the vendor I bought it from used tape.
After getting the La Rose coticule, my honing took a leap forward and I gained more confidence in my ability to get good edges.
So During FFFMM I removed the tape and completely redid the bevel. That and better honing got the edge more or less as good as it was. Maybe not exactly, but close enough.

I've just spent some time with it, muting that point and refreshing the edge.
Seems plenty sharp to me, shave test will be tomorrow.

Do you have a favorite Japanese razor?
My favourite is usually the one I'm shaving with - equally lousy answer.

I have three Japanese razors and I like tham all. 3 Doll is a really nice Tanifuji, Cape (may or may not be Tanifuji) is also very nice and shaves exceptionaly well, as does the HT. They all are exceptional razors.
So are my Fili's for that matter. They shave totaly different to the Japanese blades, but in a good way. My Henckels is also up there with them.

All these razors have some things in common.
Straight spines with good grinds, take a very sharp and smooth edge that's easy to maintain. They are a pleasure to hone.
Thats not to say Sheffield and Solingen razors are bad, they just can't match the perfection of these premium blades.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, whats your favorite Japanese razor so far?

Doug, I now have seven Japanese straight razors. One arrived yesterday. I got it from the office mailbox a little while ago. I've not used it yet of course (but it is sharp; honed by the vendor known by me to sharpen 'em really well).

Yep, that picture looks pretty close to mine.
I bought the razor from a vendor in Sweden and it was probably the best edge I've encountered. I was able to keep the edge going easily enough until it got a chip when one of my cats knocked some of my razors of a shelf onto the floor. It was rather painful getting the chip out, having to remove all that steel.

Anyway, could never get it back to the edge that it once had until FFFMM came along.
I tried it with tape, the vendor I bought it from used tape.
After getting the La Rose coticule, my honing took a leap forward and I gained more confidence in my ability to get good edges.
So During FFFMM I removed the tape and completely redid the bevel. That and better honing got the edge more or less as good as it was. Maybe not exactly, but close enough.

I've just spent some time with it, muting that point and refreshing the edge.
Seems plenty sharp to me, shave test will be tomorrow.

My favorite is usually the one I'm shaving with - equally lousy answer.

I have three Japanese razors and I like them all. 3 Doll is a really nice Tanifuji, Cape (may or may not be Tanifuji) is also very nice and shaves exceptionally well, as does the HT. They all are exceptional razors.
So are my Fili's for that matter. They shave totally different to the Japanese blades, but in a good way. My Henckels is also up there with them.

I remembered the cat story, but not that the HT was a victim. A have a plan for cats which enter my house, but most people are offended by it.

upload_2019-7-14_15-6-42.jpeg

I also wrap my razors in these...

SR.Case.640.Christmas.Open.JPG

Superior Shave sells 'em.

I've read that the Cape brand is another of the Tanifuji brands, but I'm no expert.

All these razors have some things in common.
Straight spines with good grinds, take a very sharp and smooth edge that's easy to maintain. They are a pleasure to hone.
Thats not to say Sheffield and Solingen razors are bad, they just can't match the perfection of these premium blades.

Some guys don't buy that there are blades better than other blades, but of course there are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I also wrap my razors in these...

View attachment 999049

Superior Shave sells 'em.
I moved my razors to another shelf - hard to see but the cats would probably scatter everything on the lower shelf if they jumped up.
newden.JPG

I've read that the Cape brand is another of the Tanifuji brands, but I'm no expert.
I've read that as well. My guess is they were made under license, or a different part of the factory - something like that. Mine doesn't have Tanifuji's character stamped on it. Never the less, it's a fantastic shaver, although Tanifuji did make a Cape Canaveral razor.

Some guys don't buy that there are blades better than other blades, but of course there are.
Some people can't see the wood for the tree's.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my shave was very very good.

7-15-19.Kit.Tanifuji.640..JPG

I'm rather amazed at how sharp I've been able to get this razor! Wow! Wow! Wow! Yesterday's efforts with two razors have really paid off. What a nice edge!

Still counting shaves...

upload_2019-7-15_12-2-35.jpeg

The rest of my kit?
  • Grooming Dept Preshave
  • Grooming Dept Serum
  • Cremo Moisturizer
  • PAA Beach (splash)
Happy shaves,

Jim

I looked up "chan eil". Since I had always considered it Chinese, was surprised of it English origin. Nice.

Good for you in getting a very nice shave with your new razor. I've been reading your use of the convex stone. Things are falling into place. :a14::a14:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I looked up "chan eil". Since I had always considered it Chinese, was surprised of it English origin. Nice.

Good for you in getting a very nice shave with your new razor. I've been reading your use of the convex stone. Things are falling into place. :a14::a14:

I think it's Scottish Gaelic.

NO NO NO PULEASE! :a31: . . . Scottish Gaelic, thank you. :001_tt2:

English? That's something else.

Yes, I'm very pleased with how things are going with my Double Convex Ark. What a nice stone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was good.

7-16-19.Kit.Torrey136..White.640JPG.JPG

I believe the hundred round trips yesterday on the DCA helped this edge. Is it max'd out? There's only one way to find out, right, but it is getting there.

Also used GD Preshave, GD Serum, Cremo Moisturizer, and PAA Beach.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That our 136 is looking good. Glad it’s nice and sharp from the convex ark! I agree a few laps on convex and it will help bump it up the sharpness no problem. I’m really enjoying mine too.

:laugh: That's a problem with internet information. It often starts out correct... then Bingo! Winston Smith has "updated" it.
Well, your participation response is internet information.....lol!! Thanks . Since I’m Scots. Irish decent, I prefer your internet information better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Then just select and highlight the line of text, right click on it, and Bob's yer uncle.

I tried it, Mike, but it didn't work. My uncles are still Steve, Ted, Roger, Hugh, and Blair.

Maybe I'll just stick with Chrome.

Seriously, in some ways I love Firefox, but abandoned it a while back after using it for decades. In some ways I really hate the idea of using Chrome and giving Google the world, but Chrome works really really well on my computer and for me.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I tried it, Mike, but it didn't work. My uncles are still Steve, Ted, Roger, Hugh, and Blair.

Maybe I'll just stick with Chrome.

Seriously, in some ways I love Firefox, but abandoned it a while back after using it for decades. In some ways I really hate the idea of using Chrome and giving Google the world, but Chrome works really really well on my computer and for me.

You're on a MAC if I remember right. That may be the problem! :tongue_sm

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You're on a MAC if I remember right. That may be the problem! :tongue_sm

Well, actually the problem was I didn't even try it. I don't want to try Firefox again. I'm over it unless I hear from a million people it's been fixed and made as good as Chrome in its operations. I used to love it, but it got bad. Is it all fixed now?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, actually the problem was I didn't even try it. I don't want to try Firefox again. I'm over it unless I hear from a million people it's been fixed and made as good as Chrome in its operations. I used to love it, but it got bad. Is it all fixed now?

There is this for Chrome, unless you're already using it.

Google Translate

Not sure what I've been using (it works fine so who cares), but I'll try Google Translate for Chrome. Thanks, Mike.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I tried Chrome not that long ago side by side with Firefox, maybe a year ago. I'm using Firefox and not Chrome. I dont like the layout of Chrome and Firefox is more customizable. I use themes, move my buttons around and have it set up how I want it. Not how the developers want it. Thats far easier in Firefox than in Chrome as far as I remember.

I also use a Bookmarks Toolbar that places shortcuts under the address bar. That makes life much easier and lets me get around my favorite sites really quickly. Maybe you can do that with Chrome too, I dont know.

As far as addons go I really only use one. UBlock Origin which is available for Chrome as well. Its the only ad blocker worth using.

uBlock Origin

Using the themes and skin packs in do in Windows, as well as Firefox, addons installed and enabled, bookmarks bar full and active on my I7 machine, Firefox is faster than I am. I dont find the need to mess around in about:config but I have years ago. I dont need to for it to work quickly, amoothly and without issue.

Firefox is smooth, fast and stable. So is Chrome. I just prefer the Firefox interface and I already know how to set it all up so thats what I use. Just like razors, its all about familiarity.

I also refuse to make a Google account, so theres that lol. Google is too invasive as it is.

Top Bottom