What's new

Declaration B8

Had my second use with one today. Feels like a cross between B6 and B7 to me. B6 is my favorite. I’m not crazy about B7. I like B8 so far, but not as much as B5 or B6. A pretty crappy review, I know...I need more time with it.

I had a B6 and B8 at the same time so I directly compared the two. To me, B6 had more scrub and B8 has softer whiter tips. Both are wonderful knots. B6 gels a Bunch and B8 barely gels, yet I found the tips softer.

Thank you both! I have a dogwood handle waiting for a knot and thinking I’ll go with the B8. I already have a b6 and b7.

I just received my B8 knot which was placed in a 26mm Mozingo handle.
9C6B08AB-69E9-4945-9C35-8574C10016A6.jpeg

I test lathered it three times. The initial badger funk is present but really minimal. This morning, I lathered up with GD Sangre de Naranja soap. The feel of this B8 is soft tips, no scritch and pillowy, face suction with moderate backbone. After 4 lather and dry sessions, there are no gel tips.
9206BC1F-419E-498F-AE5D-684E647AEE47.jpeg

I have a question about some brown hairs mixed in with the white tips. Are these brown hairs unintentional inverted hairs with the white tip on the other end? Is this a quality control issue?
9AA303FE-D87F-4E43-8D22-027240684711.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
View attachment 999515
I test lathered it three times. The initial badger funk is present but really minimal. This morning, I lathered up with GD Sangre de Naranja soap. The feel of this B8 is soft tips, no scritch and pillowy, face suction with moderate backbone. After 4 lather and dry sessions, there are no gel tips.
View attachment 999516

I have a question about some brown hairs mixed in with the white tips. Are these brown hairs unintentional inverted hairs with the white tip on the other end? Is this a quality control issue?
View attachment 999520
you will always find up-side hairs, even in the best brushes.

View attachment 999515
View attachment 999516

View attachment 999520
It does look like more upside down hairs than one would expect in a high end knot. I have to say it surprises me. I currently have a B4 and I've had B2 and B6 knots in the past. The B4 doesn't look like that and I don't remember the other two having that many upside down hairs either.

Wrong. I have a Black Eagle HT1 and it has zero upside down hairs in it. It is pure white.

I actually have a single black upside down hair in my Black Eagle HT1. It happens from time to time to even the best brush makers.

I have many Paladins, most have at least one upside down hair. It’s no knock on QC or the overall quality of the brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a photo of my Black Eagle HT1:
56236653-ABC9-49E0-990F-7582C6325319.jpeg

Here are 2 photos of my B8:
1D643D35-1CC7-4BE9-9A46-4180233CD269.jpeg

4E25EB5F-C322-4CA0-B1E6-6501D6DC07CC.jpeg

Despite the inverted hairs which are mostly in just one side of the knot, the B8 is really fantastic.

Wrong. I have a Black Eagle HT1 and it has zero upside down hairs in it. It is pure white.

My Black Eagle also has none. Neither does my Varlet. Maybe that's one reason why both Varlets and Black Eagles don't go on sale often? It could be that each one takes longer to complete due to exhaustive quality control measures.

Having said that, I think my B8 is one of the outliers. It has a few black/brown hairs, but way fewer than most I have seen.

77A1461A-E212-44C7-ACB9-F454D46F7BF5.jpeg
Zero black or brown inverted hairs in this particular Black Eagle HT1. I received it this past week.
92953726-1926-4D03-8F78-51978AE79175.jpeg

The BE looks nicer but I prefer the face feel of the B8 (despite the inverted hairs).

I checked all of my brushes for inverted hairs and I didn't find a single one. I would think that these should be removed during the process when hand tying an expensive knot. Certainly something in this price range.

At these prices you want a brush to be perfect in every way.....with a pre-tied knot
from china, you can blame upside down hairs on the brush maker....but when the
maker is himself in charge of sorting, its good to have these few stars dark hairs inverted.
All it would take is a few minutes more surely.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So did you go to Scott and ask him what was going on with the hairs ?
He was the one to ask first.

They are present in all of the B8 brushes. A friend of mine asked Scott about it and he said it was how this batch of hair is. In my opinion the time needed should have been spent to remove the hairs when selling brushes at this price point.

Top Bottom