What's new

time/length of later?

I have been a Proraso cream user since my recent change to DE shaving. This weekend while in a TJ Maxx (i think, or Marshalls) I picked up a shaving soap. It was a couple bucks and thought what the heck.

So I got it home, soaked my brush and did a trial lather.

The lather built up nice, no complaints, smelled nice, no complaints. I had a kid walk in and talk to me for a minute or so. I look down and see a significant amount of lather gone.

I will never make a three pass shave.

Is disappearing lather from a soap normal, or is it my cheap discount store soap?

I have no issues with Proraso and I actually build my lather before soaking my face so I can coat my face directly from the sink.

Thanks.

KM

I will go with the theory that a cheap soap gives a cheap lather then.

As a person pokes around on the different pages, it can be very overcoming the amount of options a person has. I am not sure if I want to stick with Proraso soap or try something different. I have been on the Stirling website and they have many options. I thought about a sample pack or something from them to try the soaps.

I will probably go that direction at some point in the future.

Thanks.

KM

I am at work currently but I believe the name brand was "Man's Finest Co." and they had sandlewood and peppermint. I bought both. The smell is nice, the performance isn't. I didn't dare shave with it. I may try once I get a bit more brave but that wasn't today.

I can look who the parent company is when I get home tonite.

KM

If you're fairly new to the process it could be more of a technique issue rather than a soap issue. Stirling soap is pretty great and their samples are quite generous. Several vendors also sell samples of many different brands and scents.

I would try some samples and set the soaps you just bought off to the side to revisit in a few months. You might find that they work just fine but are harder to get just right.

...I believe the name brand was "Man's Finest Co." and they had sandlewood and peppermint. I bought both. The smell is nice, the performance isn't. I didn't dare shave with it.

Hey, part of the fun if finding and trying new stuff. Sometimes you strike out. So you relegate this soap to shower. Keep looking. Hopefully the next one you pick up will be stellar.

I will try it again in a few months probably. I tried a sample of Captain's Choice and had more lather that lasted, I just didn't like the shave I go from it versus the Proraso.

"soap to shower", it never crossed my mind I could use it as body soap. probably be great for that. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks again all.

KM

The same happened to me when I bought a bar of shave soap. The lather vanished before I could complete one pass. It made a fantastic bath soap however! I think some makers think they can add an extra ingredient to their bath soap, and it will be good for shaving. But more experimentation is needed to get a good shaving soap.

I am at work currently but I believe the name brand was "Man's Finest Co." and they had sandlewood and peppermint. I bought both. The smell is nice, the performance isn't. I didn't dare shave with it. I may try once I get a bit more brave but that wasn't today.

I can look who the parent company is when I get home tonite.

KM
Never heard of it but I'd say there's a decent chance that an unknown store brand falls flat. If you like your Proraso may as well stick with that. Otherwise, there are plenty of top notch soaps, artisan or otherwise, at any price point. If you're cheap check out Arko or Palmolive, for a little more you can move into Speick, Tabac, Stirling, Fine, MWF etc. Most of the "top tier" artisan soaps are mainly improved in post-shave feel, and also tend to be soft/get used up fast, so they may not be worth the money to many people - but if you are interested it's hard to go wrong with something like Tallow+Steel, Barrister & Mann, Noble Otter, Oleo etc

actually if you want to try new soaps I would go to Maggard's Razors website and get samples in safe-sounding scents of 4 or 5 popular brands

As said, good soap lathers very well and doesn't disappear. The good news for you is that we are in the golden age of shaving and there are a ton of fantastic soaps. Sadly, for most of us they require an online purchase, but it's well worth it.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My Shaving Yeti Mamacita on the Rocks behaves like that. In order to get to pass-2 without having to reload, I had to resort to initially loading a lot more product and using less water than I would like, leaving it more like a wet paste than a normal lather.

Top Bottom