What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Damselflies and Blue Dasher
P1110456(rc1rs).jpg
P1110478(r1rs).jpg
P1110485(r1rs).jpg

Wow that’s quite the macro. What was your set up? Been thinking about getting a macro lens

Thanks! I use a Panasonic GX85. My new Macro lens is an Olympus 60mm f2.8. Before that I was using a Panasonic 14-140 and a set of Meike extension tubes. From what I've read almost any Macro lens will give great image quality. Biggest differences will be Auto focus, aperture control (auto or manual), and working distance (the longer the focal length the more distance you get). Also if you want to try macro a flash will really bring you up to the next level. I use a Godox TT685o and a cheap softbox from amazon. Most flashes will do, but having TTL is really helpful and high speed sync is almost a must on bright days unless you use a ND filter. The closeup of the dragonfly was shot at 1-1 magnification, if you have a full frame sensor you would need 2-1 to get that close, or you could crop in.

Nice pics guys, thanks for posting!
Snails and shrimp definitely count. I believe I've even posted a few snail pics. I used to have an apple snail that looked a lot like that one. I also had some ghost shrimp, and red cherries too. The only inverts I have now are one nerite snail and a bunch of malaysian trumpets.

Not a good picture at all but these are the butterflies that hatched.

They look to be black swallowtail butterflies.

4E826968-058E-48E7-834E-386CA20249D9.jpeg

Nice Dragonfly!
View attachment 997845 Not as good as most pictures here but here’s a shot of a painted lady butterfly. My boys love butterflies so we bought some eggs/caterpillars to raise. Turned into cocoons and then hatched almost a week later. This was one of them as we put it in the garden to sun itself before flying away.
My Mom and Dad have some Milkweed behind their house with Monarch caterpillars and chrysalis, they also brought a few inside to hatch. Here are some pics. The caterpillar is tiny, lees than a half inch long.
P1110649(rc1rs).jpg
P1110670(rc1rs).jpg
P1110692(r1rs).jpg
P1110683(rc1rs).jpg
P1110705(r1rs).jpg

Top Bottom