What's new

Best 28mm synthetic brushes?

I have a Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm on order and if that goes well I might look for another 28mm. Using a 26mm Timber Wolf now and loving it.

What's good in 28mm synthetics? I'm in the UK so Chinese are probably most economical, but open to all possibilities and suggestions.

Which Yaqi did you get?

I have a Yaqi Fan Tuxedo, with a Mysterious Blue Handle which is advertised as having a 26mm knot but the actual measurement is 28mm and it is truly outstanding. A little on the floppy side but it seems to create the most lather from the least amount of soap.

Probably the best performing brush I own.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Which Yaqi did you get?

I have a Yaqi Fan Tuxedo, with a Mysterious Blue Handle which is advertised as having a 26mm knot but the actual measurement is 28mm and it is truly outstanding. A little on the floppy side but it seems to create the most lather from the least amount of soap.

Probably the best performing brush I own.
How is shedding?

Shavemac!! You can configure the brush to your liking - size, loft and handle....you asked for the best!
Thanks Rudy. What would be your settings suggestion on size / loft ratio for a synthetic Shavemac?

Let's say something between a broken in boar and 2band knot feeling.

I am thinking of getting a 26mm from them.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thanks Rudy. What would be your settings suggestion on size / loft ratio for a synthetic Shavemac?

Let's say something between a broken in boar and 2band knot feeling.

I am thinking of getting a 26mm from them.
Ratio of 1:2, bulb. So if you get 26 mm, I would go with the 52 mm loft.

I don't like to contradict Rudy, but the Shavemac synth I used a few times, although a nice brush, was not a keeper for me. I have two Yaqi brushes, one with a Tuxedo knot and the other what they call a Brown Mew, and I have no intention of getting rid of either. I love their face feel and ability of whip up great lather from virtually any soap or cream. YMMV of course.

Can anyone comment on the Razorock Plissoft Beehive, and in particular compare it with a Tuxedo knot?

Razorock Plissoft Beehive 28mm.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I don't like to contradict Rudy, but the Shavemac synth I used a few times, although a nice brush, was not a keeper for me. I have two Yaqi brushes, one with a Tuxedo knot and the other what they call a Brown Mew, and I have no intention of getting rid of either. I love their face feel and ability of whip up great lather from virtually any soap or cream. YMMV of course.
His requirement was :
"Let's say something between a broken in boar and 2band knot feeling"
and this feeling so far has only given me the Shavemac or the Simpson synthetic Chubby

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Can anyone comment on the Razorock Plissoft Beehive, and in particular compare it with a Tuxedo knot?

View attachment 998269
I can...sort of. I picked up this brush -- the 28mm Razorock Plissoft Beehive -- on the BST, and I'm VERY happy with it. I've got a half-dozen Yaqi's (all synthetics) -- 26mm Timberwolf, 26mm Rainbow Brown, 24mm Mew Brown, 24mm Moka (and some I'm forgetting) -- but no Tuxedo yet. What I can say is that I've discovered that I really like the 28mm size (it's why I started folllowing this thread), and the Beehive is what turned me on to it. The RR Beehive seems to have a shorter loft than my 26mm Yaqi's, but there is still some decent splay (not floppy at all), and the softness is pretty close to the Yaqi's (probably closer to the Yaqi Brown (faux horse) synth than say the Mew Brown.

If you're a fan of the Yaqi's, I think you'd really like the Beehive. It's economical (at least here in the US), so delivery to the UK may be a deal-breaker. Hope that helps.

I'm well aware that you are from UK and shipping and other fees may make my suggestion less feasible but you should check vendors on Etsy such as CravingShaving and TurnNShave. I got 2 brushes from TurnNShave and one of them has Silversynthetic knot. I didn't try it yet and most likely will sell it as brand new but to me it feels as badger to the touch with very soft tips instead of synthetic

View attachment 998269
The RR is quite a bit “floppier” than the Yaqi tuxedo synths that I own. That is not a bad thing since the tuxedos can be a bit too “springy.” The RR beehive is my favorite synthetic brush, followed by the 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf followed by a Yaqi 28 mm tuxedo and then finally a Yaqi 26 mm tuxedo. For tuxedos, I prefer a minimum of a 28mm knot given how springy they are.

I have a 28mm Shavemac syn in a Jade handle. The loft is 56 mm. It is a great brush and I recommend it unequivocally.

I have a 28mm Shavemac syn in a Jade handle. The loft is 56 mm. It is a great brush and I recommend it unequivocally.
I just picked up a 26mm. The fiber is unlike any other synthetic I’ve tried. I really like the handle and I like the knot. It does have more backbone than any other synth I’ve tried. How’s the splay on yours?

I just picked up a 26mm. The fiber is unlike any other synthetic I’ve tried. I really like the handle and I like the knot. It does have more backbone than any other synth I’ve tried. How’s the splay on yours?
It's like a badger brush. The splay is fine.

Top Bottom