Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Eufros Gea
Razor: VB Emperor
Blade: Personna (#1)
Passes: 2 - WTG (3), XTG (4.5)
Rating: 4.8/5 - spectacular
proxy.php

A fantastic shave all round.
The beaten Sea in the background, an embracing floral summer ambience and a great shave with a pleasant scent to wrap up the day.
Alum test: minor sting in 2 spots where I’ve insisted a bit more than I should have. The rest: nada.

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

Catie's Bubbles | Summer Solstice | SFWS 2019
RazoRock 400 | Noir Plissoft
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74

proxy.php

Next up in the SFWS Swag Bag is Catie's Bubbles' "Summer Solstice". I've been a Catie's Bubbles fan for a few years, now. Their vegan base, be it the Luxury cream or soap, is a no-nonsense, quirk-free, workhorse. There's just very little learning curve with this soap. I simply load and proceed to face lather with little thought for water ratio. Given its wide water range, the lathering just sort of happens, regardless of knot. And I do recommend face lathering with this base as you really want the longest exposure possible. When using Catie's Bubbles, I routinely apply pulled lather to my face and scalp letting it remain while I clean my gear. The pay-off is a phenomenal, natural feeling post shave.

The scent profile of Summer Solstice was a gamble for me. The documented notes are: bergamot, watermelon, basil, geranium, sandalwood, aldehydes, cashmeran, and hedione. Given my aversion to overly sweet fragrances, I was wary of the watermelon in particular, but I took the plunge regardless. From the dry tub, watermelon is up front, however upon lathering, it's overtaken rather quickly by sweet and bright citrus. At this point, the watermelon is barely detectable and merely adds depth. The fragrance becomes much more, but it's so well blended I find it difficult to identify the discrete notes. Instead, this is just a bright citrusy fragrance with possibly pear and even kiwi fruits accompaniment. Despite the scent strength being robust, the fragrance is far from being weighty.

The splash, as usual, realizes the fragrance better simply because there's more time to experience it. Once again, the watermelon is briefly present and more distinct in the splash, but succumbs right away to citrus, fruit, and dry florals that I did not detect in the soap. Approximately 15 minutes later, this bright and sweet citrus mellows and warms slightly drying down to a surprising light powdery musk.

With just a bit of whimsy, Summer Solstice really conveys care-free Summer to me, but it turns into a very wearable fragrance. The splash's longevity is about what one would expect from a citrus-forward profile of this nature with hints of sandalwood being the only real hold-out after about 2 hours. An excellent complement to this set would be the classic Acqua di Parma Colonia or Catie's Bubbles' own Confiant.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
MONDAY, 8 July

Pre: H&S hair conditioner
Lather: Noxzema Aloe & Lanolin aerosol*
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Razor: Oristo
Splash: AV Musk

*Found it at the back of a cupboard.
Wanted to see how well it performed.
Made for a light menthol DFS.

Catie's Bubbles | Summer Solstice | SFWS 2019
RazoRock 400 | Noir Plissoft
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74

proxy.php

Next up in the SFWS Swag Bag is Catie's Bubbles' "Summer Solstice". I've been a Catie's Bubbles fan for a few years, now. Their vegan base, be it the Luxury cream or soap, is a no-nonsense, quirk-free, workhorse. There's just very little learning curve with this soap. I simply load and proceed to face lather with little thought for water ratio. Given its wide water range, the lathering just sort of happens, regardless of knot. And I do recommend face lathering with this base as you really want the longest exposure possible. When using Catie's Bubbles, I routinely apply pulled lather to my face and scalp letting it remain while I clean my gear. The pay-off is a phenomenal, natural feeling post shave.

The scent profile of Summer Solstice was a gamble for me. The documented notes are: bergamot, watermelon, basil, geranium, sandalwood, aldehydes, cashmeran, and hedione. Given my aversion to overly sweet fragrances, I was wary of the watermelon in particular, but I took the plunge regardless. From the dry tub, watermelon is up front, however upon lathering, it's overtaken rather quickly by sweet and bright citrus. At this point, the watermelon is barely detectable and merely adds depth. The fragrance becomes much more, but it's so well blended I find it difficult to identify the discrete notes. Instead, this is just a bright citrusy fragrance with possibly pear and even kiwi fruits accompaniment. Despite the scent strength being robust, the fragrance is far from being weighty.

The splash, as usual, realizes the fragrance better simply because there's more time to experience it. Once again, the watermelon is briefly present and more distinct in the splash, but succumbs right away to citrus, fruit, and dry florals that I did not detect in the soap. Approximately 15 minutes later, this bright and sweet citrus mellows and warms slightly drying down to a surprising light powdery musk.

With just a bit of whimsy, Summer Solstice really conveys care-free Summer to me, but it turns into a very wearable fragrance. The splash's longevity is about what one would expect from a citrus-forward profile of this nature with hints of sandalwood being the only real hold-out after about 2 hours. An excellent complement to this set would be the classic Acqua di Parma Colonia or Catie's Bubbles' own Confiant.

This setup makes summer look so appealing.
Almost made me forget that at 7:20 pm it is 87 degrees with 80% humidity.
Clearly I need Catie’s Bubbles Summer Solstice.

MONDAY, 8 July

Pre: H&S hair conditioner
Lather: Noxzema Aloe & Lanolin aerosol*
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Razor: Oristo
Splash: AV Musk

*Found it at the back of a cupboard.
Wanted to see how well it performed.
Made for a light menthol DFS.

I wish Noxzema still made this proper shave cream in the to-die-for blue jar.

3CDA2064-5F95-40BC-9844-18A28B3A34AE.jpeg

(Did you know that the Noxzema brand name derives from the claim “knocks eczema”?)

Tews-Day SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Supply Provision The Single Edge
Blade: Schick (D2)
Brush Semogue 2016 LE 2 Band
Bowl: Turkish Porcelain Bowl 4 ¾”
Pre-Shave Scrub: Ginger Garden Enigma
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Mandarin and Cardamom
Shave Soap: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew Iced
Balm: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew
Aftershave: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew Iced

Prep: Warm water
Mes: J. A. Henckels Friodur 78 1/2
Scheerzeep: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Scheerkwast:Dorian Crafts Elite Stream Blue
After-shave: Koud water --> DR Harris Windsor Aftershave Milk
Geur:Saponificio Varesino Cubebe EdP

SOTD : 9th JULY 2019.

11.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ L'OREAL ~ Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Lemon Flower Extracts Transparent Soap.

Brush: Chinese unbranded Synthetic.

Bowl Lather.

Cream : KMF ~ Peaceful Patchouli.

Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium.(2)

Razor: Weishi 2.0 Adjustable (Settings) 6.wtg, 6.xtg, 7.atg + pick ups.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade menthol crystals +Eucalyptus peppermint,+ Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./Old Spice ~ Classic ASL.

Aloe Vera Gel.

Greetings,

Over the past few weeks i've been using various shaving items that i've infrequently used in my shaving den. The kmf shave cream i've had for a considerable amount of time, but only used it a few times, using only a small amount it created a adequately slick protective lather for my shave leaving a wonderful post shave feel.

The weishi adj/ polsilver s.i. was a superb combo,the polsilver blades are such a smooth sharp forgiving blade.

A wonderfully smooth 3 pass + pick ups near bbs shave with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a generous dollop of Aloe Vera Gel.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy your day, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I wish Noxzema still made this proper shave cream in the to-die-for blue jar.

View attachment 997521

(Did you know that the Noxzema brand name derives from the claim “knocks eczema”?)
I did not know they made shave cream in a jar--particularly in a jar that spectacular. I did, however, know about the origin of the name, and that the original product itself was based on "Dr. Bunting's original secret formula." (Everybody needs a secret formula!)

My dad used Noxzema as a pre-shave for as long as I remember. I used it as a pre-shave, too, until reading about using hair conditioner here on B&B some years ago. Ain't looked back since.

Heretically, I have to admit the aerosol produced a rich, clingy lather that I doubt I could distinguish from brush lather. The Noxzema foam contained dimethicone, a pharmaceutical grade silicone oil for extra slickness. (That stuff works; I used to add a few drops to my own bowl lather until I misplaced the stuff. Time to buy more.)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Tews-Day SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Supply Provision The Single Edge
Blade: Schick (D2)
Brush Semogue 2016 LE 2 Band
Bowl: Turkish Porcelain Bowl 4 ¾”
Pre-Shave Scrub: Ginger Garden Enigma
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Mandarin and Cardamom
Shave Soap: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew Iced
Balm: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew
Aftershave: Beaver WoodWright Thomas Tew Iced

How do you like your Supply injector? Looks almost like the PAL adjustable injector I used to have--very elegantly designed and a great shaver. Sure seems like something I ought to have!

SOTD - Tuesday 09 July 2019

proxy.php

• Safety Razor: Wolfman Razors - WR1 .67 OC WRH2 polished handle
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: Saponificio Varesino - Faux Horn - 2.0 - 27mm Fan (High Mountain White)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Opuntia - Beta 4.3 - Special Edition
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Opuntia - Splash

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0007 - Edited (2).jpg

Schone OC gold / Shark SS (2) / RazoRock Ivory Keyhole Plissoft / Barrister and Mann Cheshire​

proxy.php

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: XPEC Original
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Derby Extra (3)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Guerlain L'Homme Ideal EdT

Three passes for a DFS result. Lovely suds from the XPEC. I continue to be surprised by how polarising the scent of this croap is for punters, as I find it to be delightful and seemingly uncontroversial.

My Derby trial is over. I can understand why some shavers recommend this blade as a starter blade for new wet shavers, as it gives a lot of feedback and is forgiving, and hence less of a transition from a disposable or cart. For my needs, it is lacking in sharpness and to some extent smoothness.

First use of the Guerlain L'Homme Ideal fragrance. A bold modern scent from the typically traditional and conservative house of Guerlain, but I say "Well played!"
It opens with intense sweet citrus, which slowly transforms to subtle notes of almond and cherry, resting on a base of warm woods. And for me at least, very good longevity.

9 July 19
Razor:
Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Nacet stainless (3)
Brush: 24mm RR Silvertip Badger brush
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Mitchells wool fat – Face lather
Aftershave: Clubman Lustray Blue Spice AS
Additional Care: Thayer’s / Jack Shave spritz
IMG_20190709_062821.jpg

This setup makes summer look so appealing.
Almost made me forget that at 7:20 pm it is 87 degrees with 80% humidity.
Clearly I need Catie’s Bubbles Summer Solstice.
It wasn't easy trying to convey "beach" out here in on a balmy morning out in the woods.

I like T+S Dark. It's like a York Peppermint Pattie. Have you tried "Dark Two"? It's the same profile, but less gourmand. They toned down the peppermint, upgraded the ginger quality, and switched to Haitian vetiver. It's a more ethereal fragrance. I like both versions but for very different reasons.

proxy.php

Brian Brown//Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top//Valobra Patchouly//Alpa Carnation + Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel

Timeless Polished Ti .95 Razor Head
Russian Titanium Handle
Feather
Red Leaf Basil Lime Shave Soap
RR Amici Synthetic Brush
PAA Mysterium Serum Balm
Cold River Citrus Maximus Aftershave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom