What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux

Please give me feedback on this blade.... actual use vs. perception. I have found that on here many spout perceptions of blades vs. actually using the blade and comparing vs. other brands. Thanks

Please give me feedback on this blade.... actual use vs. perception. I have found that on here many spout perceptions of blades vs. actually using the blade and comparing vs. other brands. Thanks

I like the Rapira Platinum Lux blades. They work well for me in a wide range of razors. I find them reasonably sharp, but extremely smooth. I usually get 4-5 shaves out of them. I do three passes plus cleanup.

I like these and found them very smooth, if not the sharpest blades. They work well for me in an R41.

Last edited:
I like them too. Similar performance to Voshkod but a little higher grade all around: a little sharper, smoother, and maybe more consistent.

lasta

Blade Biter
General consensus is these Rapira factory blades are "smooth". However, smoothness is not exactly objective and in sharpness, they fall far behind the Russian Gillettes. IMO Astra is much sharper than anything from this factory. Rapiras tug a bit and don't shave as close.

I like the Platinum Lux. Used probably around 20 of them, and own another 10 tucks or so.

The only problem I have with the PL is, I think there's a half dozen much better blades made by Gillette, so I get a "why bother" feeling about the PLs. Very smooth, not really all that sharp in comparison to the sharpest blades out there.

There are probably 20 threads about this blade already

Slightly sharper than a Voskhod, similar to many of the Russian-made Gillette blades

I enjoy RPLs a great deal. The problem, for me at least, is longevity. I only get three shaves and from there it’s a rough go. Other blades give me 5-6 minimum. But for the price, I could live with these being a 3 shave blade.

I enjoy RPLs a great deal. The problem, for me at least, is longevity. I only get three shaves and from there it’s a rough go. Other blades give me 5-6 minimum. But for the price, I could live with these being a 3 shave blade.
I have no problem with 3 shaves from a blade, in fact, I sometimes only use a blade 2 times. When the cost /shave for the blade is only $.03 - .05 or less. Does someone really care to get a cost below that - with the change of a bad last shave. Why?

I find them very sharp but middle in the road for smoothness. I have to go careful with these blades because overbuffing with RPL will give me irritation.

They're nice. I initially bought 50 Rapira+100 Voskhod and when I saw how smooth and sharp the Rapira Platinum Lux are I ordered another hundred. For me on par with Gillette Platinum and Astra Superior Platinum.

I am so glad that you posted this, Jim!

Two fellow B&Bers sent me/recommended the RPLs so I bought 100 and am really enjoying them. I agree about their smoothness and their lack of longevity, but they are great performers and great value.

The refined shave site lists RPL as just sharper than 7 O’clock Russian greens and Indian blacks. I would be curious if others agree about their sharpness compared to the 7 O’clocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happen to be a favorite of mine. I always get a DFS with it no matter which razor I use.it in...but you know those 4 dreaded letters that always go with any blade review...YMMV.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Top Bottom