What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

June 27th Operative No.21 emwolf - OUT adjustable brass razor

Operative emwolf let out a long sigh, and wiped his brow with a crumbled handkerchief, he was sweating profusely in this humid weather. He made his way to the office window and stuck his head out hoping for a breeze, or something to alleviate the heat. He was waiting his turn to get access to the historic files at the city's main university. He was to see if there was any mention in historic documents of the Maltese falcon-razor, and the craftsman who made it. Finally the lady behind the reception desk motioned him forward, he grabbed his hat, using it to fan his face as he approached the desk. "Good afternoon, I would like to do some research on Ottoman statues, maybe even Russian, anyway from that part of the world." The lady stared at him for a few seconds, the hints of a grin appearing in the corners of her mouth, "Yes, well we do have some books and papers on that area, are you looking for a particular material?" "Gold figures, and maybe some ceramic." The lady nodded her head, and wrote down some notes, then she picked up the phone and spoke softly, so that emwolf could not hear what was said. She replaced the receiver, "One of our staff will be down to direct you to the proper sections." Operative emwolf wandered about the reception area, looking at some of the small artefacts and books locked away behind glass, he saw a tall thin young man enter and beckon him over, :This way please, if you will follow me." Emwolf followed the person along a confusing path, through several levels and tall rows of books and cabinets before they halted in a dimly lit area. The man reached over to a cabinet, dropped open the front and reached to turn on a light. "This will make it easier for you, I will start with a few books which should start your research." With that he left, and in a short time returned, depositing several books. Operative emwolf stared down at the heavy tomes, and sighed deeply. With some reluctance he stepped up, got out a pad and pencil and began to search through the tomes.

The hours seemed to pass like eternity, finally operative emwolf slammed the pad shut, rubbed his eyes, and looked around. Outside his circle of light, all was dark, he pulled out his pocket watch, it was 7:45!! He starred at the dial in shock, then held to his ear, yes it was ticking. Had he really spent this long up here? Why had they not come to get him, as the place must be closed by this time. "Hello? Hello?, is there anyone out there?" Nothing but silence. He felt in his pocket for a book of matches, looking around he tried to think of how they had come in, if he could only remember. He struck a match, holding it aloft he started to follow a row of books, the match burned to his fingers, and he let out a small yelp. Striking another he moved quicker, again it only got him around a few corners. Now he was in completed darkness, no windows were obvious, and he could not spot any glare from the lamp he worked by, "That's odd" he thought, "Did someone turn it off?" He called out again, "Anybody there? Come and help me, I'm lost" Suddenly he found it hard to draw a breath, the air seemed dry, dusty and choking. He panic and started to run blindly, books, and storage boxes fell in his wake as he made his way among the maze. He was running faster now, oblivious to the hazard, when he suddenly hit a wall. The pain shot through his head, as he bounced back off of a hard immovable surface, hit a shelf and fell, books tumbled about him as he blacked out. Consciousness came back in slow waves, he opened his eyes, it was still pitch black. He pushed the books off of himself and feeling about he got to his feet. Feeling in his pocket he lit a match, nothing was recognizable, then on a shelf he spotted a stub of a candle on a small holder. With a rush of hope he grabbed it and lit the candle; light! Operative emwolf drew in a deep breath, gave his head a shake and started along the wall, thinking as it was a perimeter he could get to a door or elevator. Slowly he worked along the wall, carefully keeping the candle going; then he spied it, a door! Without thinking he reached out and turned the knob, the same time yanking on it. The door opened with a rush, he stepped in. In the light of the candle he saw the outline of a large wooden desk, some chairs. He stood there starring at it, then he was momentarily blinded as the overhead and desk lights came on, bright, burning like the sun. He dropped the candle and covered his eyes, a few choice swear words escaping his lips. When he opened them, a woman was sitting at the desk, looking down on some papers in her hands, she placed them on the desk blotter in slow motion and looked up at operative emwolf. His eyes widened in shock, "You!, you're supposed to be on our side! What's going on here, what are you doing?" "Just cleaning up some loose ends. Thanks for the information you uncovered, should me, .... us very nicely." "Damn you O'Shaughnessy Sam's going to hear about this!" He stepped closer, reaching into his coat pocket. O'Shaughnessy smiled, "I think not." Operative emwolf felt a heavy blow land on his head, a wet warmth flood down his face, a sharp pain radiate from the top of his skull, stars exploded in his eyes as he hit the floor. A few seconds later another metallic thud as a heavy brass adjustable wrench landed beside the body. Thursby stepped closer to the light, "Okay that it, get his notebook and we will be gone." O'Shaughnessy came around the desk, and with Tursby's help rolled the corpse over and searched the pockets. After retrieving the notebook, she turned on a flashlight, turned off the office light. The carefully made their way down to the main level, and the back door. "Okay , we will split up here. Meet next week same time. Will send a coded message with the location."
awesome! Emwolf with a wrench in the library!

#32, still in. Still working on the Derby puck. It's slowly getting down there though. Tried my Feather Popular for the first time since I bought it and tried it, it's better than I remember, and great for when I want to be lazy.

July 2nd Operative No. 89 Kcmodan- OUT Kai straight razor
July 4th Operative No. 56 sabin - OUT samples from Maggards

Operative Kcmodan felt his face, and grimaced at the stubble. It was only 5:20, and a heavy shadow of stubble graced his visage. He looked at his watch and checked the appointment time in his notebook. Meet a couple of informers at 6:00, Louie's Cafe Royalle. The barber would have to wait, hopefully this "Louie's" would not be a fancy joint, as he did not have time to change and shave. Gunning the engine he speed through the intersection, the tires kicking up dust. The window was down, and the breeze hot, everything was hot these last few days. He eased in to an open spot close to the address, and turned off the engine. In the rays of the setting sun he watched the heat shimmer off of the hood, and heard the metal tick as it cooled. He glanced at his watch, perfect timing. Looking across the road at the cafe, he thought, "Odd place for a cafe, must depend on the lunchtime crowd and not many would be in this business neighbourhood after the shops closed. There are appeared to be several small to medium size shops, a few lunch /breakfast dinners and such. He got out and made his way through the afternoon traffic.

Stepping out of the sunlight, and into cafe, he had to stop and let his eyes adjust. After a few seconds, he was able to gather in the view; worn wooden floor, several small round tables with wrought iron chairs, candles everywhere, the sound of a radio in the background, Benny Goodman & his orchestra. Otherwise empty. He stepped up to the bar looked around, then tapped on the zinc counter. A curtain by the side moved, and a well-endowed lady stepped up to the bar, gave him a once over to ascertain what type of customer he may be, "What'll yah have?" "I'll have a beer and a whiskey." Operative KCmodan paid for his drinks, picked them up and wandered to pick a table. He found one that gave him a view of the entrance and the hall to the back area, sitting down he sipped his drinks and waited. He finished his beer and whiskey, the cool drinks helped him relax, and gave some relief from the summer heat. Looking at his watch he saw that it was just past six, he signaled the lady for another set of drinks, and these went down quicker. By 6:40 he had had several drinks, and on top of his empty stomach he was rather light-headed. Some obvious locals had come in, most only stayed for a drink or two before leaving. Then he straightened up as two characters stepped in, they clearly looked out of place. They had a weathered look about them, and walked with a rolling gait like they were on a ship. They scanned the room, then the shorter of the two spotted KCmodan, nudged his companion and they made their way over to the table. They stood looking down at him for a few seconds, then removed their caps and sat down. "You Kcmodan?" the older of the two asked in a heavy accent. Kcmodan nodded, “I am indeed. Have a seat and we’ll get to business. What’ll you have to drink?” They sat down, Kcmodan signaled for the waitress. Once they had a round, and the waitress and gone, Kcmodan leaned forward and in hushed tones, “So what have you got for me?” The two glanced at each other, then the older one leaned in, “We sail with Ivar Poulsson. Many odd visitors when voyage start, and when we dock.” The other rubbed his fingers, and nudged his companion, “How much we get?” The other brushed him aside, and muttered something in a language Kcmodan did not understand. Kcmodan understood the universal money sign, “Don’t worry, I will pay you well for good information. Now who were these people?” “I know not names, but one was very nice girl, about 30 with red hair. Other was man, same age, mean looking, name sound like Flued Thurbee.” Kcmodan nodded his head grimly, thinking “Sounds like Brigitte O'Shaughnessy and Floyd Thursby. They are leading Sam and our guys on. I need to get to Sam.” Knocking his knuckles on the table, Kcmodan said, “Okay that does sound like good information. How about cargo. Did you see them carry anything strange?” The two spoke amongst themselves for a few short sentences, then the older turned to Kcmodan, “My friend saw the lady give small package to Poulsson. Look heavy, he maybe drop.” Then the door opened and Kcmodan saw Sabin step in to the bar. Sabin looked around, spotted Kcmodan at the table, nodded and walked to the bar. He ordered a drink and turned to watch the room. “Okay that is good information. Here is your payment. Gives us a call if you see anything more of these people.” The older pocketed the envelope, and then they finished their drinks. They stood and shook hand, then turned and left without looking back. Kcmodan waited a couple of minutes after the door closed, then went to join Sabin at the bar.

Sabin put down his drink, stood up to meet Kcmodan, “Hey, saw your car and figured this is the place. Did you find anything out? I just left my snitch, found out something pretty interesting. This Thursby character we are after is supposed to be at the Dancing Swigger club after midnight.” Kcmodan let out a low whistle, “No kidding, now you’re cookin’ with gas. I got some scoop on Thursby, and on this O'Shaughnessy. There in it together it sounds like.” Sabin almost dropped his drink, “You puttin’ me on? Really? We should let Sam know.” Kcmodan smiled, “No way, this is killer diller. We solve it we get the biggest reward.” “Okay let finish up here. We need to get cleaned up for the club, it’s a grand place.” “Sounds good, maybe we get some share croppers as well.” They both laughed. “Okay, meet at 11:00, the coffee shop by the office.” The two left and went their separate ways, planning to meet later.

As he was driving KCmodan spotted a late-night barbershop. Smiling he pulled over and parked. With thoughts of the nightclub girls in his head, along with reward money he stepped in to the barbershop. Only one other customer, under a hot towel. A barber waved him over, and after hanging up his hat and jacket he sat down. As the hot towel was wrapped around his face an sigh escaped his lips, and soon he was in the semi-conscious state between the waking world and dreams. Thusby sat in his car, a few spaces behind Kcmodan’s car. It had been an easy tail, the other driver seemed pre-occupied. He decided to wait and let the barber start.

Meanwhile Sabin was riding in a taxi to his apartment. Thinking, lots of time for a shower and shave before meeting up with Kcmodan. I really should call Sam, but maybe it will work out like Kcmodan said. The money would be a big help. Shortly the cab dropped him at his front door.

It was just before 11:00 when a spiffed up Sabin stopped by the coffee shop. Sitting in a booth, facing the door, he nursed his coffee. Checking his watch every few minutes. It was 11:25 when he finally stood up and crossed the street. After four coffee’s he was pretty hepped up, and figured this would not be a night to sleep. After getting past the bouncer he handed his hat to a nice hat-check girl and went to the bar. Perhaps a few drinks and Kcmodan would walk in with a sheepish grin on his face. “Bartender, boiler-maker. Please”

Earlier as Kcmodan relaxed under the hot-towel he heard the barber loading up his brush, and building a nice batch of lather in a mug, whistling an aimless tune. Then a phone rang in the back, he heard the barber put down the mug & brush, the whistling fade as he walked to the back area of the shop. He thought he heard something, but with the towel around his face and head, all was muffled. Thursby had opened the door slightly, and with a large handkerchief had reached up to muffle the bell. Once inside he eased his way over to KCmodan. Glancing around the shop he saw that the other client was covered up and probably asleep. He heard one barber still on the phone, and water running in the washroom with the second barber. Moving quickly he grabbed up a straight razor, in short order all that was remained on the chair was a bloodied KCmodan. He made his way out, and drove away.

On his third drink a dejected Sabin was getting worried, perhaps it would be better to call Sam. A new bartender had taken over, and walked up to Sabin’s end of the bar. “Another boiler-maker sir? Perhaps some food? Our chef has a nice selection of samples?” A woozy Sabin nodded, “Yeah that sounds swell. Need some food inside me.” The bartender walked towards the kitchen, calling out, “Hey Maggard, another order of your samples. Just like you described.” “That sounded odd” thought Sabin, but the drink had driven off any concept of danger from his mind. A few minutes later he staring at a plate of samples, some potato, some beef, some chicken. The scent of the spices and herbs made his mouth water. He made short work of them. Feeling full he thought it best to call Sam. Pushing away from the bar he almost fell, but grabbed the stool for support. A wobbly Sabin staggered his way through the bar area to the phone booths. Finding an empty one he got in and shut the door. Looking at the phone, he could not remember the number. Sighing he decided to try the operator. Now he was feeling odd, unsettled. He leaned back on the side of the booth, in a heavily slurred voice, “operator? Gimme me Sham Schpade. Hurry this ish impotant.” Suddenly his feet gave out and he hit the floor, his chin bouncing off of the phone on the way down. The hat-check girl saw him go down, and rushed over to the bar. Maggard and the bartender lifted him out and carried him to the back. In a back room Maggard waited until the back door opened and Thursby stepped in, “Got a fish for me?” he asked with an oily smile. The two loaded Sabin into the trunk of a business coupe.

Still out but still playing the at home version. I was at TJ Maxx the other day and saw Prorasso sitting on a shelf for $5. I still have some green I'm using but have always wanted to try the red, which they had. I picked it up and smelled it (I like it), but put it down and walked away. I have a couple of woody scents already and don't need another.

Keep it up all!

Oh--and treewhaling is when you go nuts buying everything you can find after going out. It comes from the username (Treewhale) of a member who truly was inspiring with how much stuff he bought. I think we should all aspire to have our username turned into a verb!

The 2nd check in has come and gone. Two operatives disappeared, so we past the 50% mark.

Sam Spades Team of Operatives

1. Pepin - vintage grail razor***2018***

3. johnwick - One Timeless baseplate swap
4. Ruckin–No exception***2018***
5. mikelz777 - No exception***2018***

7. Shave_Rat - New scuttle***2018***
8. meanpr - No exception
11. Vespasian- No exception
13. KQY61 - No Exception ***2018***
14. martym - No exception ***2018***

15. VerbaVolant - one stainless razor.
17. Keen Edge - Blades
20. Howler - No Exception
23 GaryTha - No exceptions
22. JohnYaddy - OneBlade Razor ***2018***
24. AlphaFrank75 – Balm ***2018***

25. bobmsp - Grooming Dept. Pre-shave
27. ‘Bout Time - Tallow & Steel Limited Release
28. T.Orso - Unicorn hair shave brush (60% mane, 40% tail)***2018***
29. Ryanshh - 1 lapping film restock
30. Jamesearthdrum - Spool of PLA filament ***2018***
32. SpannerX - No exception
34. Zed117- Karve OC (Aluminium or Brass)
42. Mtnredhed - No exception***2018***
45. gsurko- No exceptions
48. byDoms - No Exception ***2018***
49. Jim99 - Schick injector blades
52. Spookmeister - Christopher Bradley razor
57. MuhleShaver - no exceptions ***2018***
58. CzechCzar - Muhle Rocca
59. Whisky- RazoRock SLOC
60. jldallas - Vintage DE razor
61. Macsen - Thayers Witch Hazel
62. Noodles - Post-shave balm
67. Brian C. - No exception
68. Invicta - No exception
69. Tokyospike - Menthol crystals
72. Heckle - mustache wax
73. FoxInfinitySunset - Synthetic brush***2018***
77. _Stormin_ - No Exception***2018***
79. 5Cantonas - Badger brush***2018***

80. Sgemmett- no exception
86. psfred- Nickel plating supplies***2018***
88. mishkaya- No exception.
90. esetter – Variant razor ***2018***
91. Aziraphale - Hallows Soap and AS gift set
93. PhilC - No exception
94. CJB3 - New RR Game Changer release
97.Thomas Darkblade - No exception***2018***
98. dg33 – Shave brush ***2018***

99. Rico Suave - blades
100. Boghopper – Blades

The Opposition: Kasper Gutman Joel Cairo & their Henchmen

1. January 9th Operative No. 103 Bakker1964 - exception Karve OC razor - (OUT - Proraso pre-shave cream)
2. January 13th Operative No. 19 Azwetshaver - exception - strop, (OUT - brush)
3. January 25th, Operative Ruva #36: exception – Witch Hazel. (OUT – Barbersol 100th Anniversary can)
4. February 2nd Operative No. 82 Haggises - Exception: Schick repeater. (Out - David Beckahm Instinct Aftershave)
5. February 4th Operative No. 76 Saxtont47 - Exception witch hazel. (Out - Simpson`s Duke 3 brush)
6. February 4th Operative No. 87 bdehne – No exception. (Out – Volga razor)
7. February 7th Operative No. 92. Mtn.Man – No exception. (Out – shiny BST buy)
8. February 9th Operative No. 44. Slipknot – No exception. (Out – Captains Choice & CRSW shave soap)
9. February 9th Operative No. 63 Clay S - Birth year/quarter razor (out – vintage Avon aftershave bottle for Pinaud Clubman Musk)
10. February 10th Operative No. 84 Hannah’s Dad - British #15 tune-up (out – FatBoy)
11. February 13th Operative No. 85 Sharp’s- Char Gds – (out – Grand Shave King razor)
12. February 13th Operative No. 37 Somnos - Full version: Shaving Buddy app.
(out - mint Aristocrat #66 set + NOS made in England travelling set)
13. February 17th Operative No. 40. Yminoh - No exception. (out – Charcoal Goods razor)
14. February 23rd Operative No. 26 Heron - Exception shave soap. (OUT - Harry's mail order razor)
15. February 24th Operative No. 83. Luecke2326: Exception straight razor. (OUT - EPIC treewhale of a barbers supply)
16. February 24th Operative No. 16. Galaktus: No exception. (OUT - self withdraw)
17. February 24th Operative No. 64 KW Driver: Exception Trac II blades. (OUT - self withdraw)
18. February 26th Operative No. 10 Kevdogg329: Exception Aftershave. (OUT - shave cream & cartridges)
19. March 2nd Operative No. 51. karhu: No exception. (OUT – Rockwell 6S Razor)
20. March 3rd Operative No. 66 Boar Fighter: No exception. (OUT - two synthetic shave brushes)
21. March 4th Operative No. 31 pbrmhl - Exception Charcoal Goods razor. (OUT - 4 bottles Chatillon Lux aftershave)
22. March 7th Operative No. 78 Neffarious: Exception pre-shave. (OUT - Shave Mac 24mm brush)
23. March 9th Operative No. 39 Nick Weepers: Exception Mike’s Bay Rum (OUT – NOS Old Spice soap in mug)
24. March 11th Operative No. 18 SAMB08: Exception Aftershave splash. (OUT – vintage 9/16 Genco Old Dutch straight)
25. March 11th Operative No. 35 deafficianado: No exception (OUT - Raw Shaving razor)
26. March 12th Operative No. 38 Joncr: No exception. (OUT - Gillette Skinguard cartridge)
27. March 15th Operative No. 65 Rev579: Exception 1 Vintage Grail Razor (OUT - 2 vintage ABC razor sets)
28. March 16th Operative No. 70 Dundak: No exception (OUT - mystery blue-light deal)
29. March 23rd Operative No. 2. Rockviper: No exception (OUT - Simpson's synthetic Chubby #2 brush)
30. March 30th Operative No. 55 AZBronco: Exception Tuxedo knot brush. (OUT – Stirling Coconut Lime & Glacial Lemon soap)
31. April 2nd Operative No. 47 Music: Exception Stirling post-shave balm. (OUT - hard to find mystery soap )
32. April 2nd Operative No. 9. Tony D: Exception shave soap. (OUT - binge soap buying)
33. April 6th Operative No. 43 Sotiris_A: No Exception. (OUT - Simpson's best badger brushes)
34. April 8th Operative No. 102 Kluber: Exception Tabac soap. (OUT - MDC soap)
35. April 13th Operative No. 96 StuartT: No exception (OUT - German Ralf Aust 6/8 straight razor)
36. April 14th Operative No. 6 Laird: Exception Cap & Chris restoration & replate New (Self declared -OUT)
37. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 101 Midoio – No exception (OUT)
38. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 81 MarsEnglish - no exception (OUT)
39. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 71 Treebeard - No exception (OUT)
40. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 54 jamiecm - no exception (OUT)
41. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No 46 TreadwayJohnA - No Exceptions (OUT)
42. April 15th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 12 barko78 - witch hazel (OUT)
43. April 29th Operative No. 95 tsimmns: Exception OneBlade V1 with a GEM (OUT- shaving cream/soap)
44. May 13th Operative No. 50 ShavingPanda: Exception Tabac aftershave (OUT - Charcoal razor)
45. Jun. 5th Operative No. 74 Shaved Fish: No exception (OUT - shave balm)
46. Jun. 9th Operative No. 41. Andromeda673: No Exception (OUT - shave soap)
47. Jun. 16th Operative No. 75 bjm: No exception (OUT - two boar brushes)
48. Jun. 27th Operative No. 21 emwolf: No exceptions (OUT - adjustable razor in brass)
49. Jul. 2nd Operative No. 89 Kcmodan: Exception 1 zenith horse hair brush (OUT - Kai Captain Excelia)
50. Jul. 4th Operative No. 56. Sabin: No exception (OUT - samples from Maggards)
51. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 53 Ajwien: no exception (OUT)
52. Jul. 8th "Lost in Action" Operative No. 33 krow: No exceptions (OUT)

July 8th Operative No. 53 Ajwien- OUT Lost in action (Missed check in #2)
July 8th Operative No. 33 Krow - OUT Lost in action (Missed check in #2)

Sam slide an envelope across his desk to the two operatives sitting across from him. Krow the older of the two picked it up, looked in it and pocketed it with a nod. Sam continued, “Okay boys, looks like Tallahassee Florida is your next stop. There’s bus fare, hotel and meal money in the envelope. Get to the Hungry Shark for Thursday evening, that’ll give you three days to get there and get settled in.” Operative Ajwien stubbed out his cigarette, “Okay, sounds like a good assignment. We’ll wire you if anything turns up.” “Yup, you do that.”

The two operative managed to get the midnight bus south. The darkened countryside, and monotonous hum of the road quickly put them to sleep. Operative AJwien was startled awake by a loud bang, then operative Krow and other passengers began to stir as the bus started to swerve, it slowed rapidly and came to rest, leaning to one side, on the shoulder. Operative Krow looked out the window, in the rays of the early morning sun he saw a few small buildings, large areas of trees, and a river with a dock. The waters followed dark and fast on the river, and he was not sure where they were. The bus driver got up from his seat, and in a loud voice told them to get off the bus, and make their way to the coffee shop. He would call for a repair vehicle or another bus. The company was very sorry for the delay. Operatives Ajwien and Krow made their way with others to the coffee shop. Sitting outside they discussed what to do next. Ajwien sipped the hot coffee, “lady behind the counter said we are in Rabun County, which puts us in Georgia.” “That is a nice looking river, make for a good cool swim on a hot day, or a place to catch some nice big fish.” Countered Krow. “Yup, that’s the Chattooga River, and over there the large hilly area and forests is the Tallulah Gorge.” They sat drinking their coffee, and watching the sun rise over the river. As the day began, more locals could be seen out in the streets. Krow pointed out the dejected looking figure of the bus driver coming from the gas station. As the rest of the passengers gathered around him on the porch by the coffee shop, he began telling them that it looked like the bus would be out for a day or two. The company was scrambling to send down a replacement. Any expenses would be covered by the bus company.

Operatives Krow and Ajwien exchanged glances. Then they wandered away from the group. “A day or two? Not sure if we can wait that long.” Exclaimed Ajwien. “It’ll be alright. A small delay that’s all. Take the advice of an old coot like me, just relax and things will work themselves out.” Replied Krow. “Let’s see if we can rent a car, or even a boat.” Said Ajwien. “Let’s talk to those fellers on the dock, they have a boat maybe they can take us down river.” He got up and made his way to the dock. Operative Krow watched as Ajwien started to interact with the two strangers on the dock. They looked like two wild mountain men, long unkempt beards, coveralls and slouch hats. They did have a large flat-bottomed boat, and were loading up cargo. He saw Ajwein waving at him, and gesturing him over, a big grin on his face. He started over. As he met up with Ajwien, the other leaned close, “I took those two yokels, paid then only five dollars to take us to the South Carolina Border. Says him and his cousin can pole the boat faster in the current than the bus can drive. Not sure if I believe that, but it gets us moving. What say?” Operative Krow, glanced over at the two, tying down cargo under a tarp. He thought he saw the glint of steel from a rifle or shotgun, “Sounds good Ajwien. Just make sure we keep an eye on them.” “Great, I’ll let them know we can shove off right away. One of them said something that sounded like a pig roast tonight. Said there’ll be squealing like a pig or something.”

In short order the two were sitting on the boat as it was poled downstream. The breeze kept the bugs away. Soon the river curved away from the road and fields. They saw no houses, buildings and the trees grew thicker. Krow leaned over to Ajwien, “You sure about this? I haven’t seen civilization for some time.” One of the mountain men stepped up to them, “We be stopping for some food and fun soon. You see we real friendly.” He gave them a wicked smile. Looking over the other’s shoulder krow saw an opening in the trees, a landing with some crude buildings, banjo music could be heard coming from there.

Last edited:
July 8th Operative No. 53 Ajwien- OUT Lost in action (Missed check in #2)
July 8th Operative No. 33 Krow - OUT Lost in action (Missed check in #2)

Sam slide an envelope across his desk to the two operatives sitting across from him. Krow the older of the two picked it up, looked in it and pocketed it with a nod. Sam continued, “Okay boys, looks like Tallahassee Florida is your next stop. There’s bus fare, hotel and meal money in the envelope. Get to the Hungry Shark for Thursday evening, that’ll give you three days to get there and get settled in.” Operative Ajwien stubbed out his cigarette, “Okay, sounds like a good assignment. We’ll wire you if anything turns up.” “Yup, you do that.”

The two operative managed to get the midnight bus south. The darkened countryside, and monotonous hum of the road quickly put them to sleep. Operative AJwien was startled awake by a loud bang, then operative Krow and other passengers began to stir as the bus started to swerve, it slowed rapidly and came to rest, leaning to one side, on the shoulder. Operative Krow looked out the window, in the rays of the early morning sun he saw a few small buildings, large areas of trees, and a river with a dock. The waters followed dark and fast on the river, and he was not sure where they were. The bus driver got up from his seat, and in a loud voice told them to get off the bus, and make their way to the coffee shop. He would call for a repair vehicle or another bus. The company was very sorry for the delay. Operatives Ajwien and Krow made their way with others to the coffee shop. Sitting outside they discussed what to do next. Ajwien sipped the hot coffee, “lady behind the counter said we are in Rabun County, which puts us in Georgia.” “That is a nice looking river, make for a good cool swim on a hot day, or a place to catch some nice big fish.” Countered Krow. “Yup, that’s the Chattooga River, and over there the large hilly area and forests is the Tallulah Gorge.” They sat drinking their coffee, and watching the sun rise over the river. As the day began, more locals could be seen out in the streets. Krow pointed out the dejected looking figure of the bus driver coming from the gas station. As the rest of the passengers gathered around him on the porch by the coffee shop, he began telling them that it looked like the bus would be out for a day or two. The company was scrambling to send down a replacement. Any expenses would be covered by the bus company.

Operatives Krow and Ajwien exchanged glances. Then they wandered away from the group. “A day or two? Not sure if we can wait that long.” Exclaimed Ajwien. “It’ll be alright. A small delay that’s all. Take the advice of an old coot like me, just relax and things will work themselves out.” Replied Krow. “Let’s see if we can rent a car, or even a boat.” Said Ajwien. “Let’s talk to those fellers on the dock, they have a boat maybe they can take us down river.” He got up and made his way to the dock. Operative Krow watched as Ajwien started to interact with the two strangers on the dock. They looked like two wild mountain men, long unkempt beards, coveralls and slouch hats. They did have a large flat-bottomed boat, and were loading up cargo. He saw Ajwein waving at him, and gesturing him over, a big grin on his face. He started over. As he met up with Ajwien, the other leaned close, “I took those two yokels, paid then only five dollars to take us to the South Carolina Border. Says him and his cousin can pole the boat faster in the current than the bus can drive. Not sure if I believe that, but it gets us moving. What say?” Operative Krow, glanced over at the two, tying down cargo under a tarp. He thought he saw the glint of steel from a rifle or shotgun, “Sounds good Ajwien. Just make sure we keep an eye on them.” “Great, I’ll let them know we can shove off right away. One of them said something that sounded like a pig roast tonight. Said there’ll be squealing like a pig or something.”

In short order the two were sitting on the boat as it was poled downstream. The breeze kept the bugs away. Soon the river curved away from the road and fields. They saw no houses, buildings and the trees grew thicker. Krow leaned over to Ajwien, “You sure about this? I haven’t seen civilization for some time.” One of the mountain men stepped up to them, “We be stopping for some food and fun soon. You see we real friendly.” He gave them a wicked smile. Looking over the other’s shoulder krow saw an opening in the trees, a landing with some crude buildings, banjo music could be heard coming from there.

These write ups are great, @Pepin!

fwiw I thought the cliff hanger for the awol folk to be a stroke of brilliance! I wonder if we will get to the point for someone goes out just to be woven into the story :a30:

Well done Pepin...you continue to deliver. I am proud of all you that have been able to "stay in the stable". Good luck!
BTW...the Ralf Aust was worth the fall!

Top Bottom