What's new

My first restoration of a Sheffield razor.

First I would like to say thank you to @mawashi for this generous gift.
20190609_192239.jpg

So this is the razor, it has some spots of pitting, rust spots, ripe smelling scales which has gone as soft as rubber.
But the razor itself, alot of potential and by the looks of it, looks like it was custom made.
20190609_193044.jpg
20190609_193035.jpg
20190609_193104.jpg

20190609_193127.jpg
20190609_193804.jpg

Needs some grinding down on a few spots especially at the back of the heel, just no way around it.
So I took a diamond file and went to work, after that alot of sanding followed by alot of polishing.

So this is the result.
20190613_154625.jpg
20190613_154641.jpg
20190613_154743.jpg

And I thought these bone scales would give it a little more character.
20190613_161848.jpg

I still have the honing bit left, still planning my way of attack, as it's not totally straight.
Probably rolling x strokes, to preserve it as much as I can. The bevel angle is just below 17 degrees so I don't want to use tape if I'm going to use it to shave myself, which I do intend to.

If anyone can tell me about this razors history it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

A few more pictures with the scales.
20190613_161828.jpg
20190613_161859.jpg

20190613_161932.jpg

It kinda "snaps" in place, but the toe of the edge does not touch it, so its sitting really snugly.

M01, great work buddy I hope you enjoy the razor.

I only hope that one day I can learn to restore razors and horn em better lol.

I had little luck getting any info about it but it's a hefty piece of metal with the wide spine. It's good Sheffield steel and the edge is sound.
I didn't know the blade isn't perfectly straight but I have heard of many W&B wedges being warped which is very unfortunate for English steel but I have placed the edge against a flat tile and it was perfectly straight. I'm hoping it's just the tang and shank that's a bit bent but I'm pretty sure the edge itself is fine.

Fingers crossed it can get a great edge and shaves wonderfully.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

M01, great work buddy I hope you enjoy the razor.

I only hope that one day I can learn to restore razors and horn em better lol.

I had little luck getting any info about it but it's a hefty piece of metal with the wide spine. It's good Sheffield steel and the edge is sound.
I didn't know the blade isn't perfectly straight but I have heard of many W&B wedges being warped which is very unfortunate for English steel but I have placed the edge against a flat tile and it was perfectly straight. I'm hoping it's just the tang and shank that's a bit bent but I'm pretty sure the edge itself is fine.

Fingers crossed it can get a great edge and shaves wonderfully.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Thank you again @mawashi!
I'm sure I'll get a great edge on this baby,
I'll just have to try a different approach from what I usually do honing razors. But I do like a good challenge.
It is pretty close to flat, but testing it against a glass tile it's a little wobbly, even with the guards off the glass.
But I'll give it an edge worthy of "the favorite" won't rest easy until I do ;)

Top Bottom