What's new

Shaving bowls - do all those ridges, ribs, protrusions etc. really help ?

Bowls are nice, but I love the apothecary mug my son gave me last year for both Christmas and Birthday (from Amazon where he works). Due to arthritis in my right thumb area, I set it on the sink counter on a slip resistant trivet when whipping up lather.

View attachment 997050

I was looking at one of those bowls - do you find you get much “clanking” from the brush hitting the bowl, since it’s got higher sides?

I use daily this Shavebowl:

598031D2-9C2D-4B05-A79A-A782CF432BFE.jpeg
E2EFCC37-5D4B-4308-9EFC-667DC2D55CCC.jpeg

I was looking at one of those bowls - do you find you get much “clanking” from the brush hitting the bowl, since it’s got higher sides?
No, I use my Omega 11126 brush for lathering. I use the Barbury brush for my prep to apply glycerin facial soap.

Ridges are quite useful holding the soap in place. That's their primary purpose and if you scoop croaps or use samples, you'll truly appreciate those ridges.

IME small bowls are not suitable for bowl lathering and serve only to help you load the brush with product + water before you proceed face lathering. The popular ashtray shaped bowl is good to load a stubby brush without clonking on the walls and continue lathering on the face. For proper bowl lathering you want large, round and deep bowl, as well as barber handle brush.

If money is a concern some people take those little stickers you put on the floor of a shower to keep from slipping and stick them inside their bowl and make their own shave bowl/ mug

I use a textured bowl or a scuttle with most soaps or creams. I can control the lather I'm building. I get it to almost ready then finish it on the wet face. This seems to work the best for me. Sticks are face lather.

A Japanese suribachi bowl is an inexpensive alternative to a shaving bowl. It has a lot of ridges in the bottom. I've been thinking of getting one myself. They are less than $10.

Personally, I don't think the ridges/grooves/bumps help all that much.

Just evenly smash any soap into the bottom of any bowl and lather away it until its gone.

**Tip: go to your local Goodwill and hit up the kitchen section... I've found some amazing hand thrown pottery bowls that are the ideal shape for a shaving bowl... usually for 2 or 3 dollars!

I found an antique his and hers shaving mugs (the one with the vintage man side profile and the other has the woman profile turned the opposite direction ) at goodwill for a dollar a piece but it was a color of the week and so half priced so i got both for a dollar total.!!!!

I found a $3 ramekin at a going out of business sale. Perfect size, smooth interior, stays warm after a hot water rinse. No need for anything else.☺

Two bits at the local thrift store. Hard plastic from the 60's a former salad bowl I suspect. I serrated the bottom of the bowl for agitation purposes. I think that it helps.
IMG_0350.JPG

Scored a vintage Revere Ware (my dad worked for Revere for decades) solid copper bowl cheap. It was dinged and worn, so I was not destroying a collectible. Cleaned it up, hammered it out with a rubber mallet as best I could and dimpled it with a punch and hammer. Yes, a lot of very small dimples DOES work to create a very fast, very consistent and bubble free lather. Rolled edges keep all the larger IN. Smooth enough it will not be hard on your brush, either. I’ve seen small bowls dimpled for sale cheap online as well. This took me about an hour, and I’ve got something large and unique. Nice to not be banging the edges with my brush, either. I plan on letting it patina. That was a lot of dimples! Knowing what I know now, a $6 dimpled copper bowl (I hear they are Turkish?) would be a very good buy indead.

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpeg
    IMG_3273.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3272.jpeg
    IMG_3272.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3287.jpeg
    IMG_3287.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Papa, I used to think there was little difference in bowls and it was all technique until out of curiosity I ordered a Timeless plastic shaving cream bowl for a very reasonable price. It has ridges in a spiral pattern in the bottom of the bowl and the ridges go up the sides. Many have complained the bowl is too tall, but I find it satisfactory. I now can make a wonderful lather in 1/2 the time. It can be ordered on Timeless’ site and I think West Coast Shaving also carries it. If you don’t want to spend a lot of $ order this bowl!
My two Timeless bowls work well for my prep and shave lathering.

I bought a cereal bowl at Target about ten years ago; at the time they were giving donations to food banks for every one of these bowls they sold.

It is smooth on the inside. No ridges whatsoever.

I have used this bowl for every shave since I bought it, and it works fine.

To be fair, I have never tried a bowl with ridges or bumps or whatever. I get fantastic lathers using the smooth cereal bowl, so I guess I have never had much incentive to try something else.

Top Bottom