What's new

The great war: Shaving in the trenches

Fantastic read Arne!!!
I never thought about it until now and it sure opens ones eyes, as to what they went through even in the line of duty and rough conditions.

Thank you my friend for sharing this with us..

Very interesting stuff!
Makes me wonder what people and soldiers used during the 2nd world war.

Very interesting stuff!
Makes me wonder what people and soldiers used during the 2nd world war.
I can't tell when it comes to the Soviet Union, but otherwise it was DE razors. You can still buy surplus Wehrmacht razors and I believe, but I'm not sure, that the US Army used that very mild Gillette razor that I know have forgot the name of.
Edit: Gillette Tech was the name I couldn't remember.

Fantastic read Arne!!!
I never thought about it until now and it sure opens ones eyes, as to what they went through even in the line of duty and rough conditions.

Thank you my friend for sharing this with us..
Thank you Ian for always being so kind.

I can't tell when it comes to the Soviet Union, but otherwise it was DE razors. You can still buy surplus Wehrmacht razors and I believe, but I'm not sure, that the US Army used that very mild Gillette razor that I know have forgot the name of.
Edit: Gillette Tech was the name I couldn't remember.

Would have been the Gillette "Old Type"? These were being produced during this era.
Khaki Set.jpg

Later set for WW2
Khaki Set WW2.jpg

Would have been the Gillette "Old Type"? These were being produced during this era.
View attachment 996725

Later set for WW2
View attachment 996726
Exactly! The Gillette company supplied the US army servicemen with the Khaki set for free during WWI. When the soldiers went home they were allowed to keep the razors. That was the great breakthrough for Gillette. I guess that the the army had to pay for the razors during WWII.
great sets! Thank you for sharing.

If you have watched "They shall not grow old" the interviewed soldiers talk about the razors and how they were only good for cutting up cheese rations. It seems like this was because none of them knew how to sharpen them. Kind of ironic when you think they were just down the road from the coticule mines. For a lot of the poorer Tommies it was the first razor they had owned.

Also in the film are restored and colourised footage of the soldiers shaving.

If you have watched "They shall not grow old" the interviewed soldiers talk about the razors and how they were only good for cutting up cheese rations. It seems like this was because none of them knew how to sharpen them. Kind of ironic when you think they were just down the road from the coticule mines. For a lot of the poorer Tommies it was the first razor they had owned.

Also in the film are restored and colourised footage of the soldiers shaving.
I strongly recommend this movie. The filmmakers have restored and altered the originals from 1914-1918 so that the picture quality almost looks as it was filmed today. It's extremely hard to keep a mental distance when you here the young soldiers speak, move naturally and with extremely naturalistic coloration and hear the thunder from the guns. It went straight to my heart, I truly felt their agony.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I strongly recommend this movie. The filmmakers have restored and altered the originals from 1914-1918 so that the picture quality almost looks as it was filmed today. It's extremely hard to keep a mental distance when you here the young soldiers speak, move naturally and with extremely naturalistic coloration and hear the thunder from the guns. It went straight to my heart, I truly felt their agony.
I have been wanting to see this. And thank you for an excellent read!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This movie was an exceptionally well done project and a great tribute to all the Tommies who fought in this horrid war for the honor of their country. It was heart wrenching indeed. The lack of resentment in the interviews was astounding.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This movie was an exceptionally well done project and a great tribute to all the Tommies who fought in this horrid war for the honor of their country. It was heart wrenching indeed. The lack of resentment in the interviews was astounding.
I so wanted to see it on the big screen, but if it was shown here, it wasn't for long. Probably had lots of competition for theatre space against Hollywood blockbusters.

Good read. Always chuckle a little at that "straight razors are lethally sharp and take the utmost care to not kill oneself while shaving" lines.

Wonderful article. What I find interesting is that even in the depths of battle and despair soldiers still found the will to groom and clean up with a good shave. I know they had to shave because their gas masks had to fit tight. However, I think there is something deep in the male psyche that motivates us to clean up with a good shave and a shower even when times are difficult. I know for me a daily shave is a brief moment of sanity in my otherwise crazy day.

@Polarbeard @Seveneighth
Sounds like a great movie. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wonderful article. What I find interesting is that even in the depths of battle and despair soldiers still found the will to groom and clean up with a good shave. I know they had to shave because their gas masks had to fit tight. However, I think there is something deep in the male psyche that motivates us to clean up with a good shave and a shower even when times are difficult. I know for me a daily shave is a brief moment of sanity in my otherwise crazy day.
In the absence of a hot shower, it may have been the next best thing to them. Making sure their gas masks fit properly was plenty of motivation though!!

Gas mask is just part of it. Proper hygiene and grooming reduces the risks of infestations like lice, infections and disease. In the close quarters of combat, those things could devastate a battalion just as quickly as an enemy assault.

Top Bottom