What's new

Partially used soaps

Hello gents

What’s your view on buying partially used soaps ? Yay or nay?

If you do buy partially used what do you do ? Clean off the top layer ,rinse ???

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've traded for a few used soaps in my time and to be honest I think I just started using them. I've kinda changed my tune in the last couple years though-it sorta creeps me out a bit now using someone else soap. Not sure I will do it again.

I think soap is what we depend on to stop germs etc. Perhaps a nurse could help us out on the safety of sharing solid soap.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm an RN. And a Cosmetologist. My belief is the biggest thing to worry about soap is to not confuse it with soup.

I bought 10+ used soaps and I've never had any bad experiences with them. There can be cases where people abuse their soaps but I have not had the misfortune of buying from them. All I do is wash the lids, and test lather with a brush and clean it out. Then, I'm good to go to use it for myself. There is a bit of concern at first but once you clean it, it should feel like your own.

I am wondering about disease transmission. Perhaps soap kills off the bad stuff. Or, just keep the packages idle for a couple of months before using. I am showing ignorance here, thus my earlier nurse request.

I am wondering about disease transmission. Perhaps soap kills off the bad stuff. Or, just keep the packages idle for a couple of months before using. I am showing ignorance here, thus my earlier nurse request.
I don't believe any soap will necessarily eliminate all bacteria unless it is an "anti-bacterial" soap, and no shaving soap is so formulated, to my knowledge. I guess you could pump some anti-bacterial soap onto the second-hand shaving puck and essentially clean one soap with another?!
I remember an exchange between Chandler and Joey on "Friends" where Chandler is disgusted that Joey would use his tooth-brush, but he was okay with them sharing soap. His rationale: soap is "self-cleaning."
I agree. You can massage it under running water for a minute or so to "melt" away its surface, and then you have virgin soap again!
I think it's more about perception than reality. I mean, we all share public toilet seats when necessary, and isn't that much worse? And then we wrap a paper-towel around the door handle when we leave to protect our hand from germs! Ha!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And don't use antibacterial soap. Or soup, for that matter.
When you wash your hands, especially in cold and flu season, scrub them vigorously, between the fingers, and the backs, under your nails.... And do it while singing "happy birthday song" at normal tempo. Then try to convince your wife to use dedicated towels. My son and wife refuse to indulge me, but guess who gets sick most often? I've watched docs prep for surgery. They are thorough and meticulous, for a reason: insurance rates are based on noseccomial infection rates, in part.

As to antibacterial soap: it also kills friendly bacteria, like my wife. (couldn't resist, sorry Honey) Most folks don't realize that friction is more effective at killing the crap that transports on our hands, and that warm water rinsing is better than hot water. Ain't I a pain in the rear since I retired? (My lovely War Department just said I was.)

My soap collection is huge and I enjoy it thoroughly because I purchased almost all as used soaps. Then I don't feel bad if one gets wasted or lost.Or if it turns out I don't like it I can sell it and get pretty much most of my money back.

I just do a practice lather with it, and it's mine from then on.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

And don't use antibacterial soap. Or soup, for that matter.
When you wash your hands, especially in cold and flu season, scrub them vigorously, between the fingers, and the backs, under your nails.... And do it while singing "happy birthday song" at normal tempo...
The "Happy Birthday" song is still under copyright protection. That's why restaurants come up with their own little ditties. Couldn't you suggest a public-domain song that is just as effective at killing bacteria?

Top Bottom