What's new

Stubble remains after shaving and multiple passes

Hello everyone,

After having shaved with my double edge razor I've found that, while my beard gets shaved, my stubble remains when I run my hand across my face. Today, I ran into the same issue. I made multiple passes and some areas became smooth, in other areas the stubble remains.

As for what I use, my current set-up is a Parker 91R razor, Astral blade, and Cremo shaving cream.

Advice is appreciated.

Typically this happens over a non-flat portion of your face. Chin and jaw line are notorious for being difficult to get BBS, at least for me. I found stretching my skin and paying attention to shaving against the beard growth are key, but if you have sensitive skin, may not be worth the irritation. Doesn't seem to bother my face too much if I'm careful and have a good post-shave routine.

Typically this happens over a non-flat portion of your face. Chin and jaw line are notorious for being difficult to get BBS, at least for me. I found stretching my skin and paying attention to shaving against the beard growth are key, but if you have sensitive skin, may not be worth the irritation. Doesn't seem to bother my face too much if I'm careful and have a good post-shave routine.

Chin, neck, mustache, sideburns. It doesn't bother me either. At the same time, I'd like to have smooth skin all over.

My grain goes down on my sideburns, so going against it would mean turning my razor upside down and shaving up?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
You might try blade buffing. Works for me when using a relatively mild razor on problem areas such as my neck and jawbone.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My grain goes down on my sideburns, so going against it would mean turning my razor upside down and shaving up?
Yup. Easy enough to do. Check around for some videos. Once you see it done, you'll get it. (I saw Sean Connery do it in an old Bond movie; that's how I learned.)

Chin, neck, mustache, sideburns. It doesn't bother me either. At the same time, I'd like to have smooth skin all over.

I do this all the time time. It is a lot easier than it seems.

I suggest you try changing one thing at a time, with a few days or a week for each new set up.
For example:
Prep: warm shower, glycerine soap, hot towel, etc.
Different blades.
More/less aggressive razor.
Better quality soaps.
Map your beard to plan your passes.

Stick with this and your results will improve!

When you say multiple passes do you mean going with the razor the same way a number of times or do you change directions with each pass. For me, the only way I can get a good shave is to change directions for each pass of the razor.

Same direction. Lately, after looking up what blade buffing is, I realized I have been doing that on my sideburns. Up and down over and over on the same spot. Doesn't work as well as advertised for me.

Same direction

That's why you don't get a close shave.
If you are aiming for a BBS shave you need at least three passes,one with the grain,one across the grain and of course the most important one : against the grain.

You will never get a close shave if you only shave with the grain.

Depending on your skin type and stubble you might need a four pass shave ,I do,in order to achieve perfect smoothness.

I do one WTG,one across the grain to the right,one across the grain to the left and one ATG

That's why you don't get a close shave.
If you are aiming for a BBS shave you need at least three passes,one with the grain,one across the grain and of course the most important one : against the grain.

I will try that on my next shave. Thank you.

I suggest you try changing one thing at a time, with a few days or a week for each new set up.
For example:
Prep: warm shower, glycerine soap, hot towel, etc.
Different blades.
More/less aggressive razor.
Better quality soaps.
Map your beard to plan your passes.

Stick with this and your results will improve!
+1 on this. My answer for getting all the stubble was moving to a sharper blade. It also cut down on my shave time because I made fewer passes through the trouble spots.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Down, with the grain.
Before you try anything else, try adding passes in different directions. Think of shaving as beard reduction not beard elimination.

Look at you beard and map which direction your beard grows in different areas.

First pass with the grain, as you are doing.
Lather up again and go across the grain.
Lather up again and go against the grain.

You should not use any pressure on any pass. Your first pass will remove most of the beard. Your 2nd and 3rd pass will further reduce your beard. That's where Baby Butt Smooth shaves happen. Do not be overly aggressive in trying to achieve BBS. Be satisfied with close and comfortable shaves. As your technique improves, so will your shaves. Chasing BBS with extra passes or pressure is a recipe for irritation.

Good luck

Top Bottom