What's new

Zenith B10 Brush initial thoughts

Yep, it holds a huge amount of water! I squeeze out all the water from it after soaking (which I do for when I use any boar brush) then add water as I am building the lather from there.

Another thing, I try to only use the tips when lathering, which usually face lathering a cream.
I tried this today and squeezed out most of the water before loading. I had to add a bit more as it was dry but this gave me a much better lather. It's a nice brush but it takes some time to learn how to use it.

Yeah, my standard practice is to shake most of the water out of the brushes before I use them . So maybe that gets me past the problem where this one might hold an above-average amount of water for the size. I think your theory is a good one. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
It definitely worked today. I soaked the brush for 15min and squeezed out most of the water. It still ate up most of the lather by the end but it gave me enough for a two passes + cleanup. I'm happy with the result.

Today's SOTD with the Zenith B10 boar brush.

SOTD 07032019.jpg

It definitely worked today. I soaked the brush for 15min and squeezed out most of the water. It still ate up most of the lather by the end but it gave me enough for a two passes + cleanup. I'm happy with the result.
Very nice

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Update on this brush

The Zenith B10 has been a comfortable brush but it still struggles with eating lather. What I do now is not soaking it but just dunking it under water for 10 seconds before the lather. This seems to produce good result.

As for the soap (Miami Mojito), it is almost gone so I only have sample sized amount to lather with. This is not optimal but it should still give me enough lather to work with. More to follow for future shaves...

As for the brush itself, it's been a soft, dense, and flowering boar. The splay on this brush is immense. Backbone is on the low side so I cannot push it too hard against my face. Sometimes I do that and the brush seems to splay out too much. I try to lather with the tips of the brush and that gives better results. Overall, I would recommend this brush to an experienced boar user. It might be difficult for a first time user as lather tends to thin out and disappear into the magical boar bristle land. YMMV but this sure is a challenge for me and I'm taking it on everyday!

Here's my SOTD for the past two weeks or so.

SOTD 08132019.jpg

Update on this brush

The Zenith B10 has been a comfortable brush but it still struggles with eating lather. What I do now is not soaking it but just dunking it under water for 10 seconds before the lather. This seems to produce good result.

As for the soap (Miami Mojito), it is almost gone so I only have sample sized amount to lather with. This is not optimal but it should still give me enough lather to work with. More to follow for future shaves...

As for the brush itself, it's been a soft, dense, and flowering boar. The splay on this brush is immense. Backbone is on the low side so I cannot push it too hard against my face. Sometimes I do that and the brush seems to splay out too much. I try to lather with the tips of the brush and that gives better results. Overall, I would recommend this brush to an experienced boar user. It might be difficult for a first time user as lather tends to thin out and disappear into the magical boar bristle land. YMMV but this sure is a challenge for me and I'm taking it on everyday!

Here's my SOTD for the past two weeks or so.

View attachment 1010367

Superb write up, and your observations are near enough exact to the ones I have. Btw, I measured the glue bump of my mine, and it is 13mm whilst the loft was 58mm, so the glue bump relative to the loft is actually quite high - Omega's in contrast for the same size knots/loft have glue bumps of around 9mm for the ones I have used/taken measurements for.

They are difficult to get hold off now, but Zenith have an unbleached counterpart for the brush you own - the 'Zenith Euro X', which IMO is a completely different brush to the B10, the Euro X is the scrubbiest boar brush I own (much more scrubby than an Omega) and very efficient, pretty much no lather eating in the slightest bit. I'd recommend picking one up if I knew of a retailer who still stocked them.

Superb write up, and your observations are near enough exact to the ones I have. Btw, I measured the glue bump of my mine, and it is 13mm whilst the loft was 58mm, so the glue bump relative to the loft is actually quite high - Omega's in contrast for the same size knots/loft have glue bumps of around 9mm for the ones I have used/taken measurements for.

They are difficult to get hold off now, but Zenith have an unbleached counterpart for the brush you own - the 'Zenith Euro X', which IMO is a completely different brush to the B10, the Euro X is the scrubbiest boar brush I own (much more scrubby than an Omega) and very efficient, pretty much no lather eating in the slightest bit. I'd recommend picking one up if I knew of a retailer who still stocked them.
Thanks! I find that the bleached bristles are a lot harder to work with than unbleached ones. However, they are really soft so for people looking for soft brushes with no backbone, the bleached bristles are perfect. I think I'll keep mine for the sake of owning a Zenith and will pull it out once in a while for a comfortable shave.

I already own several Omega and Semogue so I'm not interested in getting more unbleach boars. Although I am still interested in the green jade Omega but other than that, I'm trying to take a pause. Zenith will be towards the back of my wishlist but who knows.. a good deal intrigues me anyday.

Top Bottom