What's new

Dorco Closeout Sale

I wonder if this us because Dollar Shave Club is no longer buying from them after they were sold to Unilever

Hmm. No mention of going out of business when I click on that. But maybe I don't have the secret password.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Hmm. No mention of going out of business when I click on that. But maybe I don't have the secret password.

No, there's no mention of it on their home page. But they are (according to my email) and most everything on their site is pretty deeply discounted.

I wonder if this us because Dollar Shave Club is no longer buying from them after they were sold to Unilever

There's an article out there that Dorco settled a patent infringement case with P&G last month. Might be related to that. No word on what Dorco's relationship with DSC will be going forward

Wow!! After reading this thread, I went out to Google to find more details...and...WOW!!

Looks like one of P&G's main tactics against competition is...litigation. Apparently, P&G/Gillette has been suing anyone and everyone who sniffs of being a competitor. This time around it appears to be Unilever/DollarShaveClub (who was using Dorco as a manufacturer/supplier). It appears to have been settled, but I couldn't find any details about the settlement.

My thinking...if Dorco was threatened during this recent litigation, then removing its direct US sales presence might resolve any infringement issues (US law doesn't extend to global markets). So closing the Dorco USA site and moving strictly to Amazon may be Dorco's way of resolving/avoiding another courtroom battle with P&G.

Wow!! After reading this thread, I went out to Google to find more details...and...WOW!!

Looks like one of P&G's main tactics against competition is...litigation. Apparently, P&G/Gillette has been suing anyone and everyone who sniffs of being a competitor. This time around it appears to be Unilever/DollarShaveClub (who was using Dorco as a manufacturer/supplier). It appears to have been settled, but I couldn't find any details about the settlement.

My thinking...if Dorco was threatened during this recent litigation, then removing its direct US sales presence might resolve any infringement issues (US law doesn't extend to global markets). So closing the Dorco USA site and moving strictly to Amazon may be Dorco's way of resolving/avoiding another courtroom battle with P&G.

It would appear so. The terms of the settlement were intentionally kept confidential so we're not really going to know until we see other changes in the marketplace, whether paceshave.com (the private label branch) goes away and whether DSC changes vendors. They're already really downplaying the whole razor aspect of their operation in favor of software. I imagine their Dorco-labeled Lucky Tiger products might remain available, not so sure about their DE blades. The page for the Dorco Prime blades is 404ing already.

It would appear so. The terms of the settlement were intentionally kept confidential so we're not really going to know until we see other changes in the marketplace, whether paceshave.com (the private label branch) goes away and whether DSC changes vendors. They're already really downplaying the whole razor aspect of their operation in favor of software. I imagine their Dorco-labeled Lucky Tiger products might remain available, not so sure about their DE blades. The page for the Dorco Prime blades is 404ing already.
Nooooooo!!!! Dorco Primes are part of my regular rotation!!

What's interesting is that Dorco Primes are still listed on the paceshave.com website (and I did find them on Amazon). Guess they're moving quickly on this.

The carts may still be on Amazon, but they are almost twice the price I got them for straight from Dorco and the largest quantity offered there is the 16 cart pack. I always purchased the 24 pack when they were on sale or with specials, at their purchase limit and was good for the whole year. I agree with @Grundi that this could be part of the lawsuit and that's the reason suppliers/retailers will still be selling on Amazon.

@pdieten, not only is DSC expanding into software and other HBC/personal care products, they have also increased their subscription prices from when I was a customer 2 years ago. This price increase is very recent as well and I think it has to do with P&G/Gillette going after them specifically and probably part of a monetary settlement. They went after Harry's a few years back but dropped it and Harry's bought a plant and started making their own.

I work for a private label HBC/Personal care company myself. We make store branded/"off brand" products and it has been the target of P&G twice in recent years. They targeted us just because our store branded products bottles and labels looked too much like theirs and they said it would confuse the customer and/or "trick them" into buying the store branded products thinking it was theirs. We ended up settling and "slightly changing" bottles and labels to their satisfaction.

There's not a lot a million dollar company, DSC, even a multi-million dollar company, my work, can do against a multi-billion dollar bully that is afraid of losing a few percent market share in just the US; the world market was not affected by us or DSC.

I don't believe there will be an issue with their DE blades as there are only a couple of major companies that manufacture the majority of DE blades. They don't seem to worry much about the "smaller" DE companies because DE is nowhere near the market share carts are.

Only time will tell if DSC can withstand the pressure and maintain their market share even with Unilever behind them.

I guess I have about 6 months to get my technique down for DE shaving my head. I'll be out of carts by then.

Last edited:
The carts may still be on Amazon, but they are almost twice the price I got them for straight from Dorco and the largest quantity offered there is the 16 cart pack. I always purchased the 24 pack when they were on sale or with specials, at their purchase limit and was good for the whole year.

I suspect that's because it's not Dorco itself selling those cartridges, it's some third party marketplace vendor that's selling them there at a markup to people who don't realize they can be bought direct from the company. When Dorco itself joins the marketplace in September I suspect you'll likely find their products more reasonably priced there.

But your point is taken. It's just a shame that law is so expensive, otherwise it would be a lot easier to ensure that the patent and trademark defense laws are executed in the way they were conceived rather than entrenching cash-rich large businesses.

It looks as though DSC has raised their 4- and 6-blade services by $1 per month recently (I remember them being $6 and $9 respectively, they're now $7 and $10) and baked the price of shipping into the twin instead of advertising $1/month plus $3 shipping. It's just advertised as $4 per month, so not really a price increase there. Still. The reason I'm DE shaving now is that I used to use Dorco 4 bought directly from the website, and the last time I ran low I found the cartridges more expensive than I wanted to pay (and not totally satisfied with the quality of the shave anyway), so I started looking into DEs. It would have been a money saver if I hadn't felt the need to accumulate a decade's worth of blades before I stopped shopping. Have not developed a serious acquisition disorder for anything else, and still own zero modern razors or artisan software, so I'm still feeling pretty good about it.

I suspect that's because it's not Dorco itself selling those cartridges, it's some third party marketplace vendor that's selling them there at a markup to people who don't realize they can be bought direct from the company. When Dorco itself joins the marketplace in September I suspect you'll likely find their products more reasonably priced there.

But your point is taken. It's just a shame that law is so expensive, otherwise it would be a lot easier to ensure that the patent and trademark defense laws are executed in the way they were conceived rather than entrenching cash-rich large businesses.

It looks as though DSC has raised their 4- and 6-blade services by $1 per month recently (I remember them being $6 and $9 respectively, they're now $7 and $10) and baked the price of shipping into the twin instead of advertising $1/month plus $3 shipping. It's just advertised as $4 per month, so not really a price increase there. Still. The reason I'm DE shaving now is that I used to use Dorco 4 bought directly from the website, and the last time I ran low I found the cartridges more expensive than I wanted to pay (and not totally satisfied with the quality of the shave anyway), so I started looking into DEs. It would have been a money saver if I hadn't felt the need to accumulate a decade's worth of blades before I stopped shopping. Have not developed a serious acquisition disorder for anything else, and still own zero modern razors or artisan software, so I'm still feeling pretty good about it.

I can definitely understand that. I used the Pace as well and always waited for sales to stock up. I would end up less than DSC per month so I didn’t mind. I used a DE this morning but picked one that was too aggressive with a 7 o’clock yellow. I’m still feeling it. Lol. I’ll try my 23c next. It’s much milder.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Just glad for the heads up I still use the 7 blade cartridges on my head and the price is good so I stocked up just in case

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah, the Dorco Primes are good DE blades.

Luckily I have that 1K-pack; good for 11 years ...

AA

Guys, it seems to me that this only applies to their website “Dorco USA”. Razors will still be sold online via Amazon. No mention of shuttering production for carts or DE. Website to shut down as of 8/31. Below is an excerpt from the company:

“After 7 years of selling you awesome razors at a great price, we will be shutting down DorcoUSA.com.

We will officially be shutting down the site on August 31, 2019, and will be running a closeout sale on DorcoUSA.com until then.

Free shipping will be offered on orders over $25 — stock up on all of your favorites!

There were many factors that led to this decision, but don't worry – after August 31st, you'll still be able to get Dorco razors online on Amazon!

Thank you again for being an awesome Dorco customer!

No coupon code necessary, discount already applied. Applicable on orders up to $150, valid while supplies last. Cannot be combined with any other offers”

Yeah but there’s a bit of price difference between the two. Not mention I usually would stock up during their sales. Most times less than $1 a cart.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Top Bottom