What's new

Need advice on first TTO razor

If you prefer mild I would suggest a Feather Popular.
Imho a great razor... On eBay for 10€..

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Mantic59 just posted an article on his Sharpologist web site talking about modern TTO razors. It is an interesting and informative read.

How is the weishi 9306?

I have experience with EJ89, vintage red tip , slim @ 3/4, tech.
I feel the tech is smooth but less aggresive
Red tip is medium aggresive ( good enough )

How is 9306 in terms of aggresiveness and smoothness?

Looking at medium aggresive and smoothness. ( no zamak pls ) Thanks

The best TTO razors a all vintage gillettes IMO. I own a Gillette fat boy, a slim, 2 flare tips, and a red tip. I like them all but the flare tips are my favorite.

I do not have the Weishi 9306, but I do have a couple of VDH razors which I understand are rebranded Weishi razors. The Weishi appears to be modeled after one of the Gillette Tech models. I am not an expert in Vintage Gillette razors, so I cannot tell you which model year The Weishi is a very mild razor. That makes it great for new shavers. However, since you have other razors like the Rockwell 6C, you may now have a better feel for the level of aggression you want in a razor.

Since I have a heavy, coarse beard growth, I like more aggressive razors. When used with less sharp blades, the VDH/Weishi is not aggressive enough to give me a close shave. However, when paired with very sharp blades (BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, Gillette Nacet, 7 O'Clock Black, Personna Israeli Reds, German Wilkinson Swords, and Dorco Prime Platinum) it will give a great shave. Feather Blades are quite sharp, but they dull very quickly when they encounter my beard. As this is an inexpensive razor, it is my choice for travel. It also works well (with a very sharp blade) for clean-up passes at the end of a shave.

If you like more aggressive razors, you might want to consider the Parker TTO models. There are several with differing handle styles/weights, but I believe the heads are the same. The Parker TTOs are more aggressive than Weishi and more aggressive than Edwin Jagger DE89/Muhle R89 razors. Thus, if you like the more aggressive plates on your Rockwell 6S, you might like the Parker models.

Either a Gen 1 (47-54) or early Gen 2 (due year) 1954 - approx 1968 would make a great TTO. Made of brass so they are built to last.

Go to Dollar Tree and get a $1 + tax Assured DE razor. I think they are a pretty good razor when you get one that doesn't have any issues. Besides you are only out a dollar + tax if you don't like it.

Go to Dollar Tree and get a $1 + tax Assured DE razor. I think they are a pretty good razor when you get one that doesn't have any issues. Besides you are only out a dollar + tax if you don't like it.

I just don't get why anyone would purchase a $1 razor unless that was the only thing they could afford. A well built razor will last for many years and be a far better investment than a cheap razor made from stamped zinc parts. The post above states "I think they are a pretty good razor when you get one that doesn't have any issues." That implies the chances of getting one that does have issues is significant. If you value your face, do not trust it to a $1 razor. I am not saying you have to purchase a $200 CNC machined stainless or titanium razor to get a good shave, but at least get one from a reputable manufacturer. The Chinese manufacturers Weishi and Bali make both made decent razors for reasonable prices if you are on a tight budget.

I just don't get why anyone would purchase a $1 razor unless that was the only thing they could afford. A well built razor will last for many years and be a far better investment than a cheap razor made from stamped zinc parts. The post above states "I think they are a pretty good razor when you get one that doesn't have any issues." That implies the chances of getting one that does have issues is significant. If you value your face, do not trust it to a $1 razor. I am not saying you have to purchase a $200 CNC machined stainless or titanium razor to get a good shave, but at least get one from a reputable manufacturer. The Chinese manufacturers Weishi and Bali make both made decent razors for reasonable prices if you are on a tight budget.

Have you tried one yet before posting a rebuttal?

And no not really if your burn rate is 4 razors a year as long as you have a steady supply. If your $40 razor doesn't last at least 10 years which most of them don't if you use them instead of babying them then that $1 store special is the better value monetary wise and it actually performs decently. This is why I buy vintage, they are time tested and won't pay large sums of money for modern stuff that is no better and has no other value i.e. collector or investment as part of the item. You get a good shave from the geometry design of the shave head everything else is window dressing around the blade to sell it. That geometry that makes a razor shave at it's most effective and efficient for this type of blade was the same 10 years ago, 50 years ago, 100,0000 years ago. Modern stuff to hold to blade is no better than vintage razors either.

Have you tried one yet before posting a rebuttal?

And no not really if your burn rate is 4 razors a year as long as you have a steady supply. If your $40 razor doesn't last at least 10 years which most of them don't if you use them instead of babying them then that $1 store special is the better value monetary wise and it actually performs decently. This is why I buy vintage, they are time tested and won't pay large sums of money for modern stuff that is no better and has no other value i.e. collector or investment as part of the item. You get a good shave from the geometry design of the shave head everything else is window dressing around the blade to sell it. That geometry that makes a razor shave at it's most effective and efficient for this type of blade was the same 10 years ago, 50 years ago, 100,0000 years ago. Modern stuff to hold to blade is no better than vintage razors either.

No, I have not tried a $1 razor and I have no intention of doing so. If that is the best shaving implement I could afford, I would grow a beard.

I have no problem with folks purchasing vintage razors as long as they are in serviceable condition. There are vintage razors made from good materials that are still giving good shaves after more than a century of use. That is a testament to their quality.

If you think that the way all razor heads hold the razor blade in the same way (which only date back to the late 19th century), then it is obvious you have not tried a precision machined razor. Yes, they are more expensive than many can afford, but they should last a lifetime and beyond.

If you talk to a tradesman whose livelihood depends on the quality of his tools, he will always purchase tools designed to last his entire career and then be passed on. I am not a tradesman, but I have some tools that I have been using for 50 years. Quality tools are a worthwhile investment, whether you are talking about wrenches or razors.

There is no way I will trust my face to a razor with an expected lifespan of 3 months and I will never recommend that others do so. However, if you wish to use a $1 razor and replace it several times a year when it fails, then go for it.

BTW, I did not even suggest that you purchase a $40 razor. You can purchase a Baili or Weishi razor for $10-15. They should easily last a year or two, making them as cost effective as your $1 cheapo.

I'll second the suggestion for a Feather Popular, nice mild razor that's very affordable. If you can find a NOS or gently used vintage Gillette Knack/Slim Twist/G1000 on eBay, that would be an excellent razor as well, just don't pay silly money for it.

Also, the Van der Hagen razor (rebranded Weishi, I believe) available at Target and many other drug stores and supermarkets would be a good place to start. Lots of good choices out there for not a lot of money.

I do not have the Weishi 9306, but I do have a couple of VDH razors which I understand are rebranded Weishi razors. The Weishi appears to be modeled after one of the Gillette Tech models. I am not an expert in Vintage Gillette razors, so I cannot tell you which model year The Weishi is a very mild razor.

The Gillette Tech was not a TTO style razor.

When I started this thread I was looking for a TTO just to try.It took a few different blades , ( derby platinum ,Wilkinson black ), to find that the Wilkinson Classic likes Astra SP. This combination gives a nice DFS shave and no irritation or nicks. Thanks to all for their advice .

When I started this thread I was looking for a TTO just to try.It took a few different blades , ( derby platinum ,Wilkinson black ), to find that the Wilkinson Classic likes Astra SP. This combination gives a nice DFS shave and no irritation or nicks. Thanks to all for their advice .

I am glad you found a combination that works well for you. That is not a combination that would be aggressive enough for my beard, but every one of us has to try different things until we find what works for us.

Baili BD279L
51aVzy1VbZL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/BAILI-Handle-Butterfly-Platinum-container/dp/B071YWLQLN

Top Bottom