6. MyOldKentuckyHome - Mechanicsville, VA
7. Tim Meneely - Pittsburgh, PA
8. suhrim21 - Bakersfield, CA
9. sharktown - Allentown, NJ
10. Psusocr - Scranton, PA
11. joshua223 - Suwanee, GA
12. spolct - Aubrey, TX
13. Clay S - Grapevine, TX

I need to remove myself from the list. I'm not sure if I will be able to afford to send the box on when it gets to me and I don't want to be stuck not being able to get the money required for longer than I should have the box.

Hello gents!

I have been enjoying the box. If you have not seen them i have been posting little reviews in the other thread on the newbie check in board. I will be finishing up in the next couple of days and getting the box out to @Badlander13. This has been a really cool opportunity to try some great brushes.

Well sad day for me but great for the next person. The box is on the move! Dropped it off today with extra insurance up to $100. Stil have a few more reviews to post over in the other thread. I had a great time trying out some great brushes. Now the hard part trying to decide which ones to buy! :001_302:

20190601_130357.jpg

I need to remove myself from the list. I'm not sure if I will be able to afford to send the box on when it gets to me and I don't want to be stuck not being able to get the money required for longer than I should have the box.
Sorry to hear that, brother. I'll probably be withdrawing from another pass around myself.

Thanks for the nudge @mightyeskimo I need to get this out the door to the next member on the list. I’ll send the PM tonight and hopefully get it out the door tomorrow. I’ll update the thread with my final thoughts after I’ve got that done.

The box arrived safe and sound at my house today. I will take a look at the brushes a little later, and post some pics and impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mightyeskimo
So this pass around has been through 2 people so far and yet no comments on any of the brushes that I've seen here so far!! Why? I thought part of the pass around was to create some feedback?

@mightyeskimo
So this pass around has been through 2 people so far and yet no comments on any of the brushes that I've seen here so far!! Why? I thought part of the pass around was to create some feedback?

@Rudd4Prez posted some killer reviews in one of the advertisement threads for this pass around in the Clinic & Newbie forum. He mentioned his intention to post there in this reply. Here's a link to where his reviews begin:

Rudd's Reviews

There have also been quite a few additional reviews already posted in this thread. I wish I could still have access to editing privileges like I had as a Steward so I could keep up with links to the great content that members have added to this thread. It's there, it just takes a bit to dig it up. :)

@Rudd4Prez posted some killer reviews in one of the advertisement threads for this pass around in the Clinic & Newbie forum. He mentioned his intention to post there in this reply. Here's a link to where his reviews begin:

Rudd's Reviews

There have also been quite a few additional reviews already posted in this thread. I wish I could still have access to editing privileges like I had as a Steward so I could keep up with links to the great content that members have added to this thread. It's there, it just takes a bit to dig it up. :)
So far I have only seen 2 people that have had the box on the latest leg of the pass around, Rudd4Prez and Badlander13 and have seen no feedback at all... Now I understand that would be because its in another thread as you already stated... Why exactly is the feedback being put into a separate thread? Isn't that what this thread was made for? Doesn't make sense to me to have 2 separate threads but maybe thats just odd to me? I have seen all the older reviews in this thread, was just looking to see what the newer pass around folks thought was all!!

So, yesterday was my first ever shave with a synthetic brush.

proxy.php

I’m not actually sure which brush this is, because it wasn’t labeled, but my first impression before using it, is how incredibly SOFT it was! Very nice.

Lathering was a bit different from what I’m used to, but went easily enough. I’m a face latherer who primarily uses Boar brushes, so I’m used to a brush that absorbs a lot of water, and has a fair amount of scritchiness. This brush didn’t seem to want to splay at first, and would kind of clump together. I think I under hydrated my lather a bit, but overall I really enjoyed the brush, and I’m excited to try more and really get the hang of synths!

proxy.php

Today’s shave was the Maggard’s Black and White synth (no photos today). Better job of hydrating the lather, and this brush seemed to splay and work the lather more like what I’m used to. Definitely got better results, though whether that’s because this was a better brush, or me having better technique, I don’t know, but I’ll take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So @muzichead I was certainly a little derelict in adding feedback about the brushes and I’m sorry for that. I’ll try to add to the conversation in a meaningful way. The red brush that @SilentTuba used is an APshaveco brush with what iirc they call their cashmere knot. It might also be a SynBad knot. As a bowl latherer I really enjoyed this handle shape and the knot felt great. When I went looking deeper at APshaveco they looked like they were most likely reselling brushes available from Yaqi on alibaba.

My favorite knot in the bunch was the Stirling Kong knot. The thing was a beast— it loaded very quickly, built the lather in my bowl quickly and slapped so much lather across my face in one go I had to straighten out quite a bit before shaving. The only thing I didn’t like about the Kong was the shape of the handle. I didn’t like the feel of the flair at the bottom.

There were several legacy synthetics in the box that looked to mimic the backbone and scritch of what I would consider a traditional 2 band badger. I steered clear of them because my face doesn’t tolerate much scritch.

The other brush that left a big impression on me was the rubber set Satin The Purest. Before actually using a rubber set brush I didn’t understand why people were chasing down these vintage brushes and setting new knots in them. I thought maybe it was for nostalgia. The rubber felt very natural and secure in my hand. I found the handle to be a little small for me and the knot to be much too small but it got the job done and the material was tremendous.

My big takeaway from the pass around was that I think I want a custom brush because there were bits and pieces from many of the brushes I liked: knot size, handle shape, handle material, knot coloration, fan vs. bulb etc. Before the pass around I didn’t take seriously how much these details can make or break a brush for me. I feel much more ready to put in an order with a maker like Wolf Whiskers or Whipped Dog now that I have a better sense of what my preferences are.

Top Bottom