What's new

speick!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I read the instructions on the tube and it implies you should use cold water as hot water hardens the cream. Indeed, using cold water made for an even better shave!

Speick in the red/blue tube is my new favorite cream

Just a thought as to what may be going on here with the hot/cold water. Beeswax has a melting point at about 145 F. So if the tube contains beeswax and it's to be in a liquid state they've got some solvent that is dissolving the beeswax to keep it liquid at normal use temps. Perhaps hot water causes that solvent to flash off or in some other way causes it not to work and thereby the beeswax hardens.

I do really need to try the Speick cream and AS.

I read the instructions on the tube and it implies you should use cold water as hot water hardens the cream. Indeed, using cold water made for an even better shave!

Speick in the red/blue tube is my new favorite cream
I don't read the instructions that way at all.
The package states that the product solidifies at "peak summer temperatures of 30ºC/86ºF." referring to the cream stored in the tube before it is used. "Cooled down briefly, it regains its fluidity..." further confirms that the reference is to the cream whilst still in the tube.
No recommendation is given as to shaving with a warm or cold brush and I, for one, would not extrapolate that the packaging admonition would be relevant to the product when it is whipped up into a lather.
I use it exclusively with a warm, wet brush and I can detect no compromise to the quality of the lather and I certainly cannot detect any solids within it.
I agree that it is a superlative cream and remains one of my favourites.

I like everything about the Speick cream except the spicy lavender scent which is strange because I am never put off by lavender - so it might be the speick plant. I wish it all smelled more barbershop-py. Will try the splash though, I think I just might like that one with the lemon notes.

Just got the aftershave lotion 100mL. It doesn't smell at all like I expected. It is very cologne like on my initial impression (could this be due to the alcohol?). In fact, at first I thought it was Brut. Does not smell like the cream to me at all :( Perhaps it will grow on me...

I'm quoting Heretic to show how subjective scent perceptions can be, not implying either one of us is "correct".

I have a tube and it smells just about the same as stick albeit on a weaker side.
Tube lather is good but not at par with stick while the stick in turn cannot compete with many of top slot soaps often discussed in here. But stick does a good job and no greasy post shave feel with this one. I prefer the stick scent.
The aftershave is lavender+lemony+speick plant extract/scent and almost similar to blue 4711 on scent notes but 4711 have more geranium+marigold note to it. I like the AS and it punches well above its weight in soothing post shave experience. However it has a fleeting scent but that is an easy fix (for me).
The EDT 50ML has identical scent profile as that of the AS and about 5ml mixed into the 100ml AS fixes the weak smell. The EDT itself doesn't smell like something metrosexual males are bombarded with now a days but it smells like an effervescent smell to me, which is anything but dated and yet does not smell like an overbearing AXE garbage.

Last edited:
I like everything about the Speick cream except the spicy lavender scent which is strange because I am never put off by lavender - so it might be the speick plant. I wish it all smelled more barbershop-py. Will try the splash though, I think I just might like that one with the lemon notes.
The shaving cream and after-shave smell very much alike to me. I believe that if you don't like one, you probably won't like the other.
Were I you, I would try a sample before splashing out on a full bottle.
ps. They both contain lavender...and speick.

They smell very much alike to me. I believe that if you don't like one, you probably won't like the other.
Were I you, I would try a sample before "splashing" out on a full bottle.
ps. They both contain lavender...and speick.
Yeah, my bad. Nowhere local to sample the stuff. I might trade it or use it for cologne :).

The cream smells sharper than the stick to me, but they both smell and work great. Makes me want to climb a tall mountain and get some of those obscure plants.

Speick After-Shave has witch-hazel (Zaubernuss) in it. It's stated on the front label of the bottle.
Yes that is true. I was referring to the alcohol that is often in witch hazel products (like Dickinson's Witch Hazel) compared to the alcohol that is in Speick aftershave. In the Dickinson's the alcohol is listed as "grain alcohol", for Speick the type isn't listed.

Top Bottom