What's new

Boar hunt

Being a badger guy seemed to be me with a couple of boar, actually 3 that didn't seem to work out for me a few years back. I actually started with a SOC cherry wood handle boar that was beautiful as my first brush, couldn't get much out of a pretty quickly gave up. Started the whole badger adventure and loved them, went thru just about all the top makers and settled that I was a badger guy. Curiosity got to me and wondering if I gave up to soon on the boar, I bought another SOC cherry handle boar and gave it a shot, months later and still not getting what I thought I should out of the brush, I bought the Semogue 1250 I think and got the same results, not much. So, I went back to badger and used them for the next several years. Recently I was being curious again and thought I would give Omega a try on their boar brush #10066. I got the brush in 2 days for around $19.00 at my door. No fancy package just a brush. I cleaned it and palmed lathered a few times and let it sit over night with lather in it. The next day I said why not give it a try. So after a soak I lathered the brush and took it to the face for a face lather and was totally blown away by the awesome lather it built, not 1 but 3 passes and a then 4th just to see what was left. I could never get the Semogue brushes I owned to give up lather, I'm sure it was just me. The brush had plenty of backbone and very soft tips right off. It was a totally different experience than I had in the past with boar. Time went on and shave after shave the brush just got better with split ends and tips hooking and still have good backbone. So, I started looking into Omega brushes more and discovered a thread that really praised the 011842 formally 011829 I think. So yeah, I bought it and received it today and after washing and palm lathering I gave it a go and wow, same thing awesome lather, great backbone and a very nice handle in my opinion. I thought I would share this because I know someone would like to experience a good boar and I can speak for these 2 awesome brushes. I don't know what this means but the boar guys will appreciate it lol, I haven't touched my high end Badgers since receiving the first Omega I mentioned and now I have 2. Thanks for all the great threads that inform me and keep me up at night.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club. The Omega 10098 Pro is my daily driver and I now face lather with it exclusively.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Thank you for sharing your story! The 011842 is currently my favorite brush and I am now breaking in a 11137 which shares the same knot as the 10066. All of my Semogue brushes broke in very slowly. They behave differently, but I enjoy using these too. I have no experience with the 1250, but the SOC is a dense brush and indeed it doesn't have the same flow through as the Omega brushes ΙΜΕ.

Switching from a brush type to another can be fun. You might find out that you want to use them all just for the different experience they provide.

Being a badger guy seemed to be me with a couple of boar, actually 3 that didn't seem to work out for me a few years back. I actually started with a SOC cherry wood handle boar that was beautiful as my first brush, couldn't get much out of a pretty quickly gave up. Started the whole badger adventure and loved them, went thru just about all the top makers and settled that I was a badger guy. Curiosity got to me and wondering if I gave up to soon on the boar, I bought another SOC cherry handle boar and gave it a shot, months later and still not getting what I thought I should out of the brush, I bought the Semogue 1250 I think and got the same results, not much. So, I went back to badger and used them for the next several years. Recently I was being curious again and thought I would give Omega a try on their boar brush #10066. I got the brush in 2 days for around $19.00 at my door. No fancy package just a brush. I cleaned it and palmed lathered a few times and let it sit over night with lather in it. The next day I said why not give it a try. So after a soak I lathered the brush and took it to the face for a face lather and was totally blown away by the awesome lather it built, not 1 but 3 passes and a then 4th just to see what was left. I could never get the Semogue brushes I owned to give up lather, I'm sure it was just me. The brush had plenty of backbone and very soft tips right off. It was a totally different experience than I had in the past with boar. Time went on and shave after shave the brush just got better with split ends and tips hooking and still have good backbone. So, I started looking into Omega brushes more and discovered a thread that really praised the 011842 formally 011829 I think. So yeah, I bought it and received it today and after washing and palm lathering I gave it a go and wow, same thing awesome lather, great backbone and a very nice handle in my opinion. I thought I would share this because I know someone would like to experience a good boar and I can speak for these 2 awesome brushes. I don't know what this means but the boar guys will appreciate it lol, I haven't touched my high end Badgers since receiving the first Omega I mentioned and now I have 2. Thanks for all the great threads that inform me and keep me up at night.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks BWR for the reviews. Omegas seem to work better for more people than Semogues. The 24/55mm knots found on 10066, 11126 etc are fantastic medium brushes. The larger brushes like the 011842 and cheaper 10049, 10048 for example are really great brushes that perform way above their price.

I started using Omegas and the 11126, 10051 is on my to get list together with a Piccolo when there's a sale in the UK.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I used my b and b boar for a whole year. My new semogue is a couple of weeks in. $20 and it is even softer than the Omega knot on the b and b brush.i thought I was a badger guy but these boar brushes are awesome.

My first brush was a synthetic from omega. I thought it was great because I had nothing to compare it too at that time. A year of wet shaving later, I switched to omega boars because they are cheap in singapore.

And I got blown away like hiroshima. Boars are so much better than my omega synthetic. And right now I have 5 omega boars.

The price for those brushes range from $3.50 SGD to $6.50 SGD here. So if you paid $20 for your 10066, that's a massive rip off.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Great review!! Congratulations!! :a29:

Like you I did not have a good experience with the SOC boar or the Semogue 1250. I also disliked the Omega 11137, although I liked the handle are put a nice TGN badger knot in it. (I then sold that brush and wish I hadn't.) For me the breakthrough boar brushes were the Zeniths. I currently own two, the standard aluminum handled 24X57 B07 and the Big Scrubby 28x54 B14. I first bought the B07 and thought it was great. But now that I have the B14, I rarely use the B07. It is by far the best boar brush I have tried, although I have heard a lot of good things about the Omega 011842 and may also give that a try one day.

Thanks for all the comments coming in! I'm really pleased with both brushes and the price is outstanding. I'm not by any means running Semogue down because I know they make quality brushes and a lot of people here on the forum praise them highly. I'm just sharing my experience and ease of use with Omega boar. Thanks for all the info and input.

I also prefer Omega boars over Semogue. I refer Omega knots, but Semogues have better handles. The obvious solution is to have a custom brush made with an Omega knot. :a14:

My first brush was a synthetic from omega. I thought it was great because I had nothing to compare it too at that time. A year of wet shaving later, I switched to omega boars because they are cheap in singapore.

And I got blown away like hiroshima. Boars are so much better than my omega synthetic. And right now I have 5 omega boars.

The price for those brushes range from $3.50 SGD to $6.50 SGD here. So if you paid $20 for your 10066, that's a massive rip off.

I've been to Mustafa but not Hanifa quite a few years ago but most of the stuff are the lower end brushes and razors. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing Fatip Piccolos, 1000 series Omegas or palmolive shaving sticks.

On my shopping list are the Fatip Piccolo, 10051, 11126 and some good if affordable soaps.

Omegas are definitely one of the top boar brushes out there. They feel nice but for me, I don't tend to grab them. I think it's the bloom of Semogues that draws me in every time. But I definitely rotate between my boars and give all of them a bit o love. I recently got a Omega Pro 48 and it's a great large brush to use.

I've been to Mustafa but not Hanifa quite a few years ago but most of the stuff are the lower end brushes and razors. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing Fatip Piccolos, 1000 series Omegas or palmolive shaving sticks.

On my shopping list are the Fatip Piccolo, 10051, 11126 and some good if affordable soaps.

Mustafa has the 10051 chunky chubb in orange and green. $6 SGD each. I was there yesterday. They also have the 10290 and the 10810 beehive.

In Hanifa, the 10099 and 10077 are only $3.50 SGD each.

I suggest getting the 10077 and 10810 since they are really good. Better than the chunky chubb.

As for palmolive, both places have the cream in regular aloe vera and sensitive skin for about $3 SGD.

Mustafa has the 10051 chunky chubb in orange and green. $6 SGD each. I was there yesterday. They also have the 10290 and the 10810 beehive.

In Hanifa, the 10099 and 10077 are only $3.50 SGD each.

I suggest getting the 10077 and 10810 since they are really good. Better than the chunky chubb.

As for palmolive, both places have the cream in regular aloe vera and sensitive skin for about $3 SGD.

Thanks, for the tips.

Hanifa is the shop around Dunlop Street?
The 10099 looks like a really good brush.

Anyway, my buddy was at mustafa and help me get a 10051 and a 100810. He wasn't able to go to Hanifa but I'll try n pay them a visit soon.
He help get sgd $0.80 worth of blades, 25 7 o'clock greens for fun lol.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have any hard soaps. Virtually everything was either a cream or from a can and the blade selection is very limited. Just some 7 o'clocks, derby's and another brand he forgot.

I wonder where I can get some BICs, Nacets or other brands here?

It seems disappointing that the selection here is so limited.

Thanks again,

Mawashi

Last edited:
I love my boars for hard soaps;
Love my Badgers for creams;
Love my horse hair for Croaps or whenever I feel the urge;
Love my Synthetics for travel;
And the only brush I hate, but keep around to remind me that there is worthless crap out there being sold, so buyer beware;

Thanks, for the tips.

Hanifa is the shop around Dunlop Street?
The 10099 looks like a really good brush.

Anyway, my buddy was at mustafa and help me get a 10051 and a 100810. He wasn't able to go to Hanifa but I'll try n pay them a visit soon.
He help get sgd $0.80 worth of blades, 25 7 o'clock greens for fun lol.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have any hard soaps. Virtually everything was either a cream or from a can and the blade selection is very limited. Just some 7 o'clocks, derby's and another brand he forgot.

I wonder where I can get some BICs, Nacets or other brands here?

It seems disappointing that the selection here is so limited.

Thanks again,

Mawashi
$0.80 is only 5 pieces. For 25 it costs $2.50 at haniffa.

The 100 pack is $9 and $12 at haniffa and mustafa respectively. Anyway I bought 25 yesterday. Since I only get to save $1, I didn't bother to buy 100.

If you want soap they have the omega in a tub for $8 at mustafa.

For nacets, you can try those indian shops in the suburbs but they are very expensive. One of them charged me $2.50 or $3 for 5 pieces.

I love my boars for hard soaps;
Love my Badgers for creams;
Love my horse hair for Croaps or whenever I feel the urge;
Love my Synthetics for travel;
And the only brush I hate, but keep around to remind me that there is worthless crap out there being sold, so buyer beware;

Hey BigD,

Those are great looking boars cept for the last brush lol!

My stuff my buddy bought for me from Mustafa.

IMG_20190627_164523.jpg

The Omega 10051 $4.45, Omega 10810 $4.80, Omega's Crema de Barba 150ml $3.63 and 25 Gillette 7 o'clock Green $2.22 (not $0.80 as previously stated).

The 10099 and 10077 are next on my list.

$0.80 is only 5 pieces. For 25 it costs $2.50 at haniffa.

The 100 pack is $9 and $12 at haniffa and mustafa respectively. Anyway I bought 25 yesterday. Since I only get to save $1, I didn't bother to buy 100.

If you want soap they have the omega in a tub for $8 at mustafa.

For nacets, you can try those indian shops in the suburbs but they are very expensive. One of them charged me $2.50 or $3 for 5 pieces.

Thanks again for the info.

Other than the brushes the prices for blades and soaps are nothing to shout about.

Yeah, the prices at the mom n pop shops are pretty crazy, I got a pack of super Nacet at Kovan for sg $2.

I got 200 BICs from the bay for $18, I should've gotten 500 as the seller has gone mia. BICs unfortunately are fantastic in only 2 razors the Futur and GC84 however, in the GC84 gave me the best, and longest lasting BBS shaves, better still, 1 blade gave me 40 shaves.

The prices of soaps here is plain crazy too. A tub of 150ml proraso in Italy is $2.8 - $3.2 here it's $13.8 so even at the usual $6.5 to $8 from the bay its expensive.

1000ml of TFS almond is just $21.15.

I think I'm just going to stock up on the blades like BICs, Nacets and really hard wearing soaps like Arko and WMS.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

As per my regular routine the moment I get any new boars I'll try to get a feel of the hairs if they're soft of nylon hard and a quick sniff. The 51 and 810 were too new, had a slight porky whiff and needed a good shower.

Off they went to get a good MBBM.
IMG_20190627_182336.jpg

Despite having the same knot 24/50mm, the 810 has nicer, softer bristles. The 51 however is a really cute pup and the perfect travel brush.

The 10810 however, wins out due to better bristles and handle size.

As a medium boar brush I'll be hard pressed to find a better combinational at least for myself, slight skirtch, great backbone and at 50mm it's just about the perfect loft and splay.

IMG_20190627_170604.jpg
Just for comparison of the stubbies. The 10051, 10810, 11137 (thanks TBoner) and the short metal Yaqi Silvertip.

The 10051 and 10810 are so much more suitable for me than the 10104 or the 10049.

I couldn't be happier especially at just sgd $6 - $6.5

Haooy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom