What's new

What did you hone today?

Not a straight today but a brush axe. Unfortunately got on a job with a bit more cutting than normal so gave it a good sharpening with a bastard file. Going through branches like butter for now.
20190626_123801.jpg

What kind of devil stone is that?! Lol. I’ve heard about those but that’s the first one I’ve seen. How do you like it?
“Devil stone.” Lol! That’s hilarious.

Yeah, the stone is interesting! New Ark It’s new, so I haven’t played with it too much. I’m not going to lie though, I’m loving it. Might be the new car smell - it might be there’s something to it?

The mk10 wasn’t a fan of the jnat so the shave was a little harsh. Took it to the coti and it seems to like the softer coti instead.

FCA637CF-0BAC-489D-BABE-46D1004151F1.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Really nice items to look at today; here's mine...

Herder.76.Off-DCA.New.6-28-19.640JPG.JPG

Herder 76. Off the Double Convex Arkansas 8x3.

This one was not sharp at all, going into it, not that it had never been honed (probably factory honed). Not sure how it is now. I know it's a bunch sharper but is it sharp enough? A shave test will tell.

This razor and its brother came to me NOS.

Not in love with the display stand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just refreshed a stag scaled Butcher on a jnat that is acting a bit funky and I wanted to test. Wasn't in love with the old edge, so I figured if it trashed it completely it was no huge loss. More to get a read on the rock but the blade seems very sharp now.

Attachments

• 20190629_021349.jpg
    20190629_021349.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
herder-76-off-dca-new-6-28-19-640jpg-jpg.994673

More honing on this Herder 76. It was not sharp enough (not hardly, but it did shave) today even after a good bit of work on Friday. I'm not sure it's sharp yet even with a lot more work today on the DCA, but the shave test in a few days will tell me more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
7-1-19.Torrey136.Off-Hard-DCA.640.JPG

When I shaved with this Torrey last week the edge was great, but I decided to see if I can improve it a bit. Took it to the hard side of the Double Convex Ark using a Ballistol and water mixture. Did 110 one way trips (or 55 round trips). Lightly. Stropped it of course. We'll see tomorrow I think if it made a difference and if I want to do still more polishing of the 136.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last night I did a few laps on the .3 micron film followed by diamond. This formerly Thuringian edge was enhanced by my efforts. I do now thinks a combination of films, stones, stones, and diamond is a way for the member primarily interested in shaving to proceed.

Attachments

• 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 8
8E2AB4D4-9849-4FF3-B18D-F953822EB924.jpeg
Boker Celebrated Wenge (had a most unpleasant factory edge). Some quality time on a BBW and LaVeinette coticule improved things a lot.

Top Bottom