What's new

New perspective on my Hybrid Tech

I can't wait to do a shave off between the
RFB vs The Hybrid Tech.
From the pictures that I have seen it looks like the SB version of the OC RFB. And I know how great that treats my Face :)
When you do the shave-off, please post your results. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have and love both, but I think the Hybrid is a better shaver.
Used it again this morning and got another fantastic shave. Can't wait to hear your comparison.

Oh my, that is really lovely. From what I gather from this post, that razor is in the unobtainum realm too
It really is beautiful. Sadly, it is also pretty hard to find one.

I use mine with a UFO Titan Fine L handle. The balance is perfect and it makes the razor even more beautiful.

Oh my, that is really lovely. From what I gather from this post, that razor is in the unobtainum realm too

As your friendly enabler I just wanted to anchor the ‘want’ feeling :)

Even though they are indeed hard to find they are still out there. And believe it or not you can get really lucky. 8 months ago or so I accidentally stumbled upon the set in the foreground on the bay listed as a Buy-It-Now “Good condition Tech” and even posted with the baseplate upside down. And priced accordingly. It is today with another happy B&B’er though.

I use mine always with the original handle - for me just dang perfect :001_tt1:

Happy hunting!

3DDB004C-801A-48A0-9755-C44EA8D565EB.jpeg

Last edited:
As your friendly enabler I just wanted to anchor the ‘want’ feeling :)

Even though they are indeed hard to find they are still out there. And believe it or not you can get really lucky. 8 months ago or so I accidentally stumbled upon the set in the foreground on the bay listed as a Buy-It-Now “Good condition Tech” and even posted with the baseplate upside down. And priced accordingly. It is today with another happy B&B’er though.

I use mine always with the original handle - for me just dang perfect :001_tt1:

Happy hunting!

View attachment 993994
Gorgeous. Surprising but at the same time not that surprising that somebody listed one on ebay without knowing what it was. Patience in this type of search is sometimes rewarded.

This thread reminded me to use one my 12 Hybrid Techs last night.
BTW, do you think 12 is a good number? Or should I go for a round number of 24? :a13:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
You are the Best Andon ,simply the Best old buddy old pal :)
Do you need a custom brush or something ?

This thread reminded me to use one my 12 Hybrid Techs last night.
BTW, do you think 12 is a good number? Or should I go for a round number of 24? :a13:

Ha, Andon, somebody likes to sing on stage, others like to sing in the shower :a37:

Psst, everyone... Andon does have 12 Hybrids, he just hates showing off :)

Just found one on that big online site but, golly. $254.00?? Way out of my league.

Now, if Andon wants to thin his herd, I'm so there for that

Actually, I was just joking, sorry!
Can't afford so many... and would not be any space left for other stuff in the cabinet ...
Apologies for those who misunderstood my post!
I don't have anything for sale either, @poppi

Yup, that's a good start. Thanks for the suggestion

I wonder why some of the razor makers haven't copied/cloned this one?

Does anyone know if a modern version/duplicate of the hybrid Tech has ever been made? Seems to me that it would be easier to buy one at a price then dupe the measurements rather than go through the trouble of designing a head from scratch.

I believe that the Feather AS-D2 was built to be like the Hybrid Tech?
Nope. The Feather AS-D2 is a copy of the American post-war Tech.

I have a Feather AS-D2 and multiple Techs. If I put an American post-war Tech head on the AS-D2 handle, it shaves virtually identically to the AS-D2. If you put the Feather AS-D2 head on a fat Tech handle, it shaves just like the post-war Tech. Neither one of them quite replicates the Hybrid Tech shave, which was wonderful again this morning, by the way.

The Hybrid Tech is slightly more aggressive and considerably more efficient, without adding any harshness at all.

Nope. The Feather AS-D2 is a copy of the American post-war Tech.

I have a Feather AS-D2 and multiple Techs. If I put an American post-war Tech head on the AS-D2 handle, it shaves virtually identically to the AS-D2. If you put the Feather AS-D2 head on a fat Tech handle, it shaves just like the post-war Tech. Neither one of them quite replicates the Hybrid Tech shave, which was wonderful again this morning, by the way.

The Hybrid Tech is slightly more aggressive and considerably more efficient, without adding any harshness at all.

I stand corrected :punk: Did not know this, interesting!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have shaved with some wonderful razors both vintage and modern. The RFB is one of my favorite razors it looks like the Hybrid Tech but with teeth. It is my best OC shaver that I have.
The Timeless Ti .68 SB is right there with it as far as modern goes. How long did Gillette make the HT and how many did they make ?
Like everything with shaving,it all depends on what you want in a shave .
I can't wait to see the mail person tomorrow :)
So I can see for myself what all the hubbub is all about.

...The Hybrid Tech is slightly more aggressive and considerably more efficient, without adding any harshness at all.

The bottom of a DE razor only stabilizes a blade (rigidity) and works in concert with the top cap to establish blade gap & exposure. The shape of the bottom plate is meaningless in essence. Only the leading edge of it contacts the face at all. It could be shaped like a washing machine for that matter. Many people rave about RFB razors, but these are not magical. Nor would a hybrid or a rare Tech open comb be for that matter. If you want a razor that shaves exactly like a more "aggressive" Tech then seek out the older (discontinued?) Lord Tech clone that gave a closer shave for many. I had one, but for me it was just a tad too much for daily shaving.

What I would like to know is a feeler gauged blade gap measurement on the hybrid Tech.

Does not apply to Hybrid Tech, nor to NEW RFB.
Those are highly efficient shavers.
"Aggressive" is a non sense!

"Efficient" is an over used term IMO that has never really been objectively explained by anyone. It's a term "regurgitated" way too much. A razor is like a lawnmower. It can only cut to its predetermined height (unless one uses pressure). The blade gap & exposure are all that matters. The rest is just aesthetics.

Top Bottom