What's new

Ever ready 500E, How do I restore the crack?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I picked up this 500E dirt cheap. It has a hairline crack in it. Is there a way to remove the staining from the crack? I started by using Novus no.2 on it handle. Thanks in advance.
proxy.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I can't give any advice on the resto, but I look forward to seeing the results. That's a pretty nice looking brush as is.

KeenDogg

Thanks, you guys. I agree. It does provide character. I'm going to keep pressing on with the novus and see where I can take the outside.

Thanks, you guys. I agree. It does provide character. I'm going to keep pressing on with the novus and see where I can take the outside.

I would say if you are worried about further damage maybe someone like greydog can give some advice on the best way to seal it so it won't get worse or get damaged. It is a lovely brush though. The more I look at it the more I like it and the more character I see in it. It's definitely a keeper.

KeenDogg

GOOD morning Adam, what's a novus?
Good evening, Steve! Novus no.2 plastic polish. I imagine I can seal the crack with super glue but I just dont know if I can remove the staining from the crack of the brush.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Do you have a Dremel or a tool like that?
I have used head light cleaner/polish with a buffing wheel to get stains and scratches out.
You can can get a little cloth buffing wheel from
Harbor freight for a couple of bucks.
I have heard that toothpaste will work also

You’ll probably never be able to hide the crack but like others have said, it adds character. I’ve been using Novus for about 20 years now and swear by the stuff. You’ll get a lot better results if you start with 3 then use 2.

KeenDogg

Thanks, Gents. I may try those routes. I think, at this point, I'll have to accept it. I think s deeper than a mm.

KeenDogg

Well, I tried to take the knot out tonight. I gave it a tug just to see how tight it would be. ANDDDD, I cracked the globe. I dont know what it was made out of, but it was very thin and fragile. I believe it had a crack in it already. It's not a total loss, ill keep the base in case I ever find a top for it. I may just run into the same problem though. Easy come, easy go! [emoji16] On to my next restore project! Wasnt my first fail and wont be my last!

Was it a screw on top or glued on?

I might have a couple globes kicking around on junky brushes that may fit you could have.

If it's glue on, I've got an Erskine b-250 that looks like a pretty decent match. It's almost identical to the B-350 on this page (different knot diameter I'd guess). It also appears a bit more symmetrical and lacks that ugly seam the brush in this picture has.
OSSB - Erskine Shaving Brushes

I'm 99% sure it's one of the cement-filled, plastic exterior brushes though, so you'd probably want to saw through the base just below the globe, then remove the knot and sand till you reached the globe and glue it on along with the new knot.

It's got some stains and a small scratch or two, but no deep cuts or cracks. Should clean up to look almost new.

Edit: here’s a pic

Attachments

• 621D2C64-C4A8-4F4B-AB1D-FFBBDFEA72BD.jpeg
    621D2C64-C4A8-4F4B-AB1D-FFBBDFEA72BD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

KeenDogg

Was it a screw on top or glued on?

I might have a couple globes kicking around on junky brushes that may fit you could have.

If it's glue on, I've got an Erskine b-250 that looks like a pretty decent match. It's almost identical to the B-350 on this page (different knot diameter I'd guess). It also appears a bit more symmetrical and lacks that ugly seam the brush in this picture has.
OSSB - Erskine Shaving Brushes

I'm 99% sure it's one of the cement-filled, plastic exterior brushes though, so you'd probably want to saw through the base just below the globe, then remove the knot and sand till you reached the globe and glue it on along with the new knot.

It's got some stains and a small scratch or two, but no deep cuts or cracks. Should clean up to look almost new.

Edit: here’s a pic
Thank you, but it's quite alright! I was trying to see how tight the hairs were and it cracked right off. I could probably glue it if I had my heart set on it, but I dont. It was a screw on type. I just think that time wasnt very good to this particular brush. It already had a crack in the handle. I got it with the thought of seeing what it would do. I played very little for a great learning experience.

Thank you for the generous offer though!

I'm working on something else I got with it and will reveal when its complete.

KeenDogg

I'll post some tomorrow. No mystery I'm afraid but I will say I am working on something similar.

PiF, you say? I am working on getting one of those together too. Baseball is life right now.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Adam my son Seth brought me a broken Major league baseball bat, I am thinking a few handles:)
It's Ash not Maple.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Adam my son Seth brought me a broken Major league baseball bat, I am thinking a few handles:)
It's Ash not Maple.
Could it be possible to use the handle on the bat for brush handles? Would they be thick enough? Cuz that would be cool, a new way of choking up on the bat!

Top Bottom