What's new

Transistor radios

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Who has 'em?

The satellite internet and TV went out during this storm and it was the only form of weather information I had. It was scratchy and you could tell when lightning struck, but I could understand it. Dad had one on the dash of his pickup, the basic three on the tree with no radio or air conditioning truck. Worked well.

I snagged this at Mom's after she passed. I remember Dad having it, it's probably from the '60s. Still works excellently.

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

I have an AM/FM transistor Motorola that is from the later '60s. Controls are a bit dirty so it's scratchy but it does work on both bands. Was my FIL's. Definitely a keeper. I'm in bed otherwise I'd upload a photo.

Couple of newer ones from the '80s and '90s around too that take AA or AAAs so they're a little more convenient to feed. Either way I'm comfortable in case of power outage.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This one is AM only. Takes a 9 volt battery so also easy to feed. Reception is a bit tricky here even in good weather, have to put it in the right spot, but if you get closer to the broadcast stations (Dallas is 100 miles away and Tulsa is 200 miles) it works perfect. If I get it in the right spot here it picks up Dallas real good. I got a scratchy Dallas station during the storm. I was a bit surprised on how well it worked when I first put a new battery in it. Not too shabby for an over 50 year old battery powered radio.

A few from my collection...

Bulova Super 6 "shirt-pocket" radio
proxy.php

Shiny! Takes a weird 6-volt battery, so it doesn't get much play.
Bulova Super 6 in the leather case:
proxy.php

Nipco Hi-Fi 8
proxy.php

Spica ST-600
proxy.php

in the case:
proxy.php

Republic 8 (red)
proxy.php

Republic 8 (white, in leather case)
proxy.php

Sadly, there are hardly any A.M. stations still operating and worth listening to, so ...
Sony TM-6100W, with A.M. and F.M.
Now we're getting into, what, the '70s?
proxy.php

For serious listening in the blackout, I have a Grundig FR200 multi-band radio with a crank dynamo recharger.
proxy.php

I gotta get a new battery pack for it because the existing one won't hold a charge more than a minute.

Last edited:
So these smaller (pocket sized) radios were from an era before the bad/leaky capacitors? Great that they are still going strong.

You can get modern versions that are probably IC chips instead of individual soldered components. They still technically use transistors in the chips. The only other difference is that the jack is for stereo headphones/earbuds instead of a monophonic earpiece.

When I was a wee lad, and delivered newspapers, the transistor radio was the easiest "prize" to earn for canvassing new Customers. I seemed to garner a new one every year, just to use up stray points. I wish I had kept one or three, because they would be interesting things to have around.

Used one to listen to the Canada/Russia hockey series during classes in '72, couldn't see the wire for the earplug running from my shirt pocket to my ear, hidden all that hair.
dave

Huh. Sometime around 1960 I built a crystal radio. As I recall, used an old telephone receiver and a crystal from the hardware store. It got one, sometimes two stations.

A few from my collection...

Bulova Super 6 "shirt-pocket" radio
proxy.php

Shiny! Takes a weird 6-volt battery, so it doesn't get much play.
Bulova Super 6 in the leather case:
proxy.php

Nipco Hi-Fi 8
proxy.php

Spica ST-600
proxy.php

in the case:
proxy.php

Republic 8 (red)
proxy.php

Republic 8 (white, in leather case)
proxy.php

Sadly, there are hardly any A.M. stations still operating and worth listening to, so ...
Sony TM-6100W, with A.M. and F.M.
Now we're getting into, what, the '70s?
proxy.php

For serious listening in the blackout, I have a Grundig FR200 multi-band radio with a crank dynamo recharger.
proxy.php

I gotta get a new battery pack for it because the existing one won't hold a charge more than a minute.

Nice collection John!
dave

My parents gave me a transistor radio for my 8th grade graduation in 1960. They were pretty cool back then and we were thrilled to have one. It must have made quite an impression, because I still remember it

So these smaller (pocket sized) radios were from an era before the bad/leaky capacitors? Great that they are still going strong.

They have electrolytic and ceramic capacitors. Ceramics live forever but electrolytics will become leaky and that does kill older transistor radios. They're replaceable though if you have moderate soldering skills.

It's radios older than that using vacuum tubes that get capacitor problems too. They use paper dielectric and it is assumed that any radio old enough to use tubes will need its paper caps replaced for proper functionality.

I remember my mom used one of those Rice Bowl radios. We would turn the ball game on television, turn down the sound and turn on the radio to listen to their play-by-play.

It's radios older than that using vacuum tubes that get capacitor problems too. They use paper dielectric and it is assumed that any radio old enough to use tubes will need its paper caps replaced for proper functionality.
Yup.
That's kind of a handy feature, in a way, for the collector of standard 5-tube radios.
When the large electrolytic filter caps failed (which is the most common problem) the radio would only give a loud 60 Hz buzz, and the owner might simply relegate it to the attic to collect dust.
It's good news because the hum indicates that at least the filaments of all five tubes are intact, and the audio amp tube and speaker are working.
The large filter caps are uncommon nowadays, but you can still get them - Antique Electronic Supply

Yup.
That's kind of a handy feature, in a way, for the collector of standard 5-tube radios.
When the large electrolytic filter caps failed (which is the most common problem) the radio would only give a loud 60 Hz buzz, and the owner might simply relegate it to the attic to collect dust.
It's good news because the hum indicates that at least the filaments of all five tubes are intact, and the audio amp tube and speaker are working.
The large filter caps are uncommon nowadays, but you can still get them - Antique Electronic Supply

This one is in Canada and they might also have schematics you can't find on the web. Have used them a number of times for their high voltage caps for a few tube guitar amps.

High Voltage Electrolytic and Film Capacitors for Tube Radios

dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Speaking of tubes, I remember helping Dad replace tubes in a black and white TV.

Granddad had an old console dial radio when I was a kid. Something like this, but it had the rounded top like the one in the second picture. I asked Dad what happened to it and he said they finally hauled it out to the burn pile in the pasture.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom