What's new

The Daily Double

Nice setup. What is the floating bit about a floating head razor. I've seen pictures but can't tell, and haven't seen any explanation.

It's just the appearance the blade is floating if I remember what I once read. Others may be more definitive. There was non branded Conrad razor similar to the FH in which the base is more flat.

What makes the razor for me is the blade feel and weight.

Today I did a Daily Triple.

Hot shower pre.
Pre Lather with small amount of soap rubbed in with fingers.
Cyril and Salter wild rose on two band badger.
Gem 1912 for cheeks and back of neck with 5th flip Gem SS ptfe used in all three razors.
One side of neck WTG 1900 Kampfe Bros Star
Other side of neck WTG Gem Jr. Bar
Used the Gem Jr. Bar and Star for ATG passes on alternate sides of the neck.
Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.
Cool water rinse.

All three razors performed excellent. The 1912 did very well on my cheeks and my wife used it to get the back of my neck.
The Star and Jr. Bar where both used "riding the cap" with an extra light touch even tickling my neck frequently. And delivered a very smooth comfortable shave. The Jr. Bar felt ever so slightly smoother and the Star was ever so slightly more efficient, especially ATG.

20190622_130435.jpg

It's just the appearance the blade is floating if I remember what I once read. Others may be more definitive. There was non branded Conrad razor similar to the FH in which the base is more flat.

What makes the razor for me is the blade feel and weight.

I thought it meant that the whole head somehow could shift around slightly as you shaved to adapt to contours or something but couldn't see how that would be achieved.

It's a beautiful razor especially in brass.

DD finally

Finally used the gentile plate of my Fatip Piccolo SE. Only took me about a year and a 15 minute search to get around to it.

Pass 1: Gillette F2 flair tip
Pass 2 and touchup: Piccolo SE gentile
Rapira Platinum Lux (5)
Custom boar and plain vanilla Cella

511D65D6-2BC0-4390-AC72-F060B1B59AE1.jpeg

The flair tip beat my other Superspeed as a pass 1 shaver. The FPSEG shocked me and did a better job with the touchup than it did with pass 2. The gentile won’t replace the OC plate - less feedback/blade feel plus a tighter angle gives less control. All in all just CCS, but part of that was due to NOR-AUS kicking off in the France 2019 round of 16.

I thought it meant that the whole head somehow could shift around slightly as you shaved to adapt to contours or something but couldn't see how that would be achieved.

It's a beautiful razor especially in brass.
Nope, the head does not move. The razor was originally silver or chrome. My non branded retains is original finish. When I first got it I had not gotten into SE and straight razors at all or not than mucn. At that time the feel of the blade surprised me. I am used to it now.

Today I did a Daily Triple.

Hot shower pre.
Pre Lather with small amount of soap rubbed in with fingers.
Cyril and Salter wild rose on two band badger.
Gem 1912 for cheeks and back of neck with 5th flip Gem SS ptfe used in all three razors.
One side of neck WTG 1900 Kampfe Bros Star
Other side of neck WTG Gem Jr. Bar
Used the Gem Jr. Bar and Star for ATG passes on alternate sides of the neck.
Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.
Cool water rinse.

All three razors performed excellent. The 1912 did very well on my cheeks and my wife used it to get the back of my neck.
The Star and Jr. Bar where both used "riding the cap" with an extra light touch even tickling my neck frequently. And delivered a very smooth comfortable shave. The Jr. Bar felt ever so slightly smoother and the Star was ever so slightly more efficient, especially ATG.

View attachment 992982
Oh wow, very nice triple.

Nope, the head does not move. The razor was originally silver or chrome. My non branded retains is original finish. When I first got it I had not gotten into SE and straight razors at all or not than mucn. At that time the feel of the blade surprised me. I am used to it now.

So lot of blade feel. How's the audio feedback?

Yes, custom. They are interchangable. You can see the theaded screw at the bottom of the tech handle which fits the Damaskeene. The fitting at the bottom of the Damaskeene handle fits the tech head thread.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow -- I've missed A LOT. I really need to hang out here more often. Here's my Daily Double: GEM Featherweight with GEM SS PTFE (6) and Schick Fashion Razor (Type H1, aka "the Hussy") with a Chick blade (lost track of shaves....maybe 4?), and Yaqi 24mm Moka Express Synth with Proraso Sensitive Skin shaving cream. I finished with some Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum after shave.

2 passes with the Featherweight -- and I truly could've stopped and had a CCS-DFS-BBS -- but it was a Daily Double, and the Hussy was ready-to-go, so the next pass and slight touch-up went to the Schick. I ended up with a CCS-DFS-BBS shave with ZERO irritation, weepers or incidents. Those two will likely be my travel/daily razors for when I'm traveling for work. They work really well together.
IMG_1862.jpg

Top Bottom