What's new

Castle Forbes Lime

I've used the Trumper and Taylor lime products, and also Stirling lime shave soap and the Sterling lime aftershave. Not the Truefitt or Jagger, though.

Trumper's product is "Limes" and in fact I just used it an hour ago for the first time since buying the CF, to satisfy my curiosity as far as comparing it to CF.

View attachment 983556

I've always been happy with GFT Limes but now CF has ruined it for me. Compared to CF, the GFT is weak-scented and synthetic. By contrast, the CF smells like LIMES, like you have been transported into a field full of creamy lime trees (or whatever limes grow on). And stronger. GFT limes is not bad as far as scent strength but CF Lime is really potent.

Taylor: I assume you're talking about Lemon and Lime; I don't think Taylor has a pure lime product. I tried it about a year ago and hated it. Very synthetic and weird. Smelled more like avocado to me than lemon and lime. Couldn't get past the artificial chemical scent and threw it out after a week.

Stirling lime soap (and aftershave): I'm a big Stirling fan and I think they do a great job on many different scents. I do like their lime products quite a lot but the CF is much better. Stirling's products are certainly more cost effective, though.

The really big, and noticeable, difference in the CF is that CF does not smell like a soap/cream that's been treated to have a lime scent. It smells like actual limes. Like if you crushed up a hundred limes and added something to them to make them creamy so you could rub them all over your face, that. It has an edible lime quality to it, like you just want to eat the stuff.

The CF produces a thick, creamy, rich later in copious amounts beyond any cream I've used before. Personally, I like some of the GFT products a lot as far as lather-creation, but the CF is better.

Sorry to say it, but it's completely worth the ticket to the dance. I wish it were otherwise, because it really is exorbitantly expensive, but CF Lime is heads and shoulders above other lime scented shave products, imho.
Seems you really love a strong lime scent.
I can't speak to their qualities or performance, but here are a few other lime-scented preps for your consideration:
Cyril R. Salter: Essential Lime Shaving Cream (UK)
Vulfix: Sicilian Lime Shaving Cream (UK)
Colonel Conk: Lime Shaving Soap (USA)
Godrej Lime Shaving Cream (India)
Crabtree & Evelyn: West Indian Lime Shaving Cream (& Soap)
Royall Treatment Lyme Shaving Cream, by Royall Lyme, Bermuda
Queen Charlotte Soaps: Key Lime Shaving Cream (now, if it's anything like the pie, sounds yummy!)
No doubt you could find reviews on each of these in the various shaving forums.
Some might even be available in samples.
Of course, for you, the hunt might be over...

I'd like to add a data-point:

I really love the smell of Castle Forbes Lime. But like one or two others posted above, I'm having issues with slickness. I've had 4 shaves, and all but 1 were lacking in slickness. 2 were lacking badly. 1 seemed pretty good, though. So, I don't know. I'm not sure if I'm having problems dialing it in, due to its croap-like texture.

But with maybe 2 good shaves left in my sample, I'm hoping I can make it work. Like I said, the scent is phenomenal!

I really love the smell of Castle Forbes Lime. But like one or two others posted above, I'm having issues with slickness. I've had 4 shaves, and all but 1 were lacking in slickness. 2 were lacking badly. 1 seemed pretty good, though. So, I don't know. I'm not sure if I'm having problems dialing it in, due to its croap-like texture.

But with maybe 2 good shaves left in my sample, I'm hoping I can make it work. Like I said, the scent is phenomenal!
If it doesn't work for you, by all means, move on to something else. A sample should provide enough shaves to make a determination. A couple of my posts earlier in this thread list a slew of other lime-scented soaps or creams. It's not like Castle Forbes is any bargain! But if you really love the scent, they make it in an after-shave balm, too.

Capisco---Try more water. When I first tried CF I thought it was ok but not great. Somebody told me to add more water and that did the trick. It's crazy the amount of water that CF can take. Good luck.

Top Bottom