What's new

First Outing with a Gem Featherweight

Not a BBS but definitely a DFS and I could not even tell that I had a blade in the razor. No sign of irritation. I suppose it's always possible... but I can hardly believe you could nick yourself with this razor. (The new Shavemac is also nice)
2019_Jun_19_7997_LR.jpg

I like the Gem Feather Weight SE razor. It's light and nimble in feel, and it reminds me somewhat of shaving with an injector.

However, I don't find the "vertically rectangular" handle to be comfortable, and the performance of the Feather Weight is too mild for my tough whiskers.

I understand the Gem Feather Weight was made circa 1953 to 1958.

I really can't wait to get mine in and try it. Haven't even shaved in a couple days so I have no irritation already and I can give it a good fair test.

The Featherweight is definitely a good entry level razor to learn how to SE shave when first coming over from carts or DE razors. It is nice and mild so you won't rip your face up as you learn how to shave with less pressure from both and at a shallower angle from DE razors. In the main everything made from the Micromatic Flying wing bullet tip razors up will be on the milder side like a Featherweight. The closest one to a Featherweight with more heft in the handle will be a G-bar.

Short list of milder Gem razors off the top of my head.

Micromatic Flying Wing Bullet Tip
G-bar
Featherweight
Push Button
Contour
Contour II

Top Bottom