What's new

Twitter user's garlic-peeling secret mesmerizes Internet ;-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Oh man...I hate peeling fresh garlic, but this 'trick' with a paring knife saves the day!. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"It's all about the garlic...so cook with all the love you can shuck". CBJ

Last edited:
I use one of those silicone sleeve garlic peelers. Just pop a clove in and roll it around your countertop for a few seconds. Quick and easy.

If you are going to be mincing garlic with a knife, just smash the clove with the side of the knife. The peel comes right off.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Smash the whole garlic head with a karate chop like Jacques Pepin. Smash individual garlic cloves with the flat of your knife.

There's a video somewhere that shows you smash the whole head root up and then place all the cloves in a large bowl then top it with a lid. Then you shake the bowl vigorously until all the skins come off.

I tried it once and it worked pretty good.

Chris

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sometimes more is easier than less.

I think most of us have seen the easy way to break down a head of garlic by pressing our hand down on it.

Ok . . . throw the cloves in a container. Mixing bowl with a lid . . . small box you had from an Amazon shipment, a light pot with a lid.

Shake up and down vigorously . . . the skins fall off like magic.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There's a video somewhere that shows you smash the whole head root up and then place all the cloves in a large bowl then top it with a lid. Then you shake the bowl vigorously until all the skins come off.

I tried it once and it worked pretty good.

Chris

Ha . . . you beat me to it. Well done.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If I'm mincing them up, I smash them in the peel--bingo.

Otherwise, I'll use that silicone tube thing for a few or handful of cloves (say up to six or so). For a whole boat load, I'll do that bowl/container thing.

For just one or two, chances are I'll just peel the dadgum things with my fingers.

Years ago bou
I use one of those silicone sleeve garlic peelers. Just pop a clove in and roll it around your countertop for a few seconds. Quick and easy.

If you are going to be mincing garlic with a knife, just smash the clove with the side of the knife. The peel comes right off.

Yep. I have or maybe had a silicone peeler. Have not used it in years. A whack works well, tho it is also easy enough to peel a clove with a knife.

I've been growing all our garlic for 25 years now and peeling has never been much of an issue, trim off the ends of the clove and the skin slips off.

Intrigued by the video and going to have to try.
dave

Will someone let me know when they actually try this, and if it works? I read a follow up article to this that it doesn't really work. Not trying to rain on the parade.

Maybe the garlic bulb was ringer, one that would peel with little effort using any method. Going to try right now!
dave

Not with my bulb, was harvested 11 months ago... just split the clove in half and the skin was off but my bulbs usually peel pretty easy. Six weeks until i can try with a freshly harvested bulb.
dave

Top Bottom