What's new

Yaqi Triplets.

proxy.php

I'm not much into buying more brushes right now, but I really like the look of the handle on the far left.

I'd want it in either two band (the Yaqi two bands I have are excellent) or maybe silvertip (which I've heard good things about from Mike @Esox).

View attachment 991381

Here's one of my nice Yaqi brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey Jim,

Yes I head very good things about the moka handle
SG$ 41.46 | Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Two Band Badger Hair Men's Beard Shaving Brush
SG$ 41.46 | Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Two Band Badger Hair Men's Beard Shaving Brush

The Silvertips are great too. For myself I'll be getting the metal handle brushes as I love the weight and the density of the knot.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I really like the look of the handle on the far left.
I really want to see this handle in a 24mm 2 band badger. It is just the right size but little too bulky for a given knot. I have however stopped using this synth. It is pillow soft and annoyingly spineless. I have same handle in bigger 2band but the handle is even more bigger than 24mm synth. The corners just keep clinking inside the shave mug while loading if soap is running low. Wanted to like them both, but....

I really want to see this handle in a 24mm 2 band badger. It is just the right size but little too bulky for a given knot. I have however stopped using this synth. It is pillow soft and annoyingly spineless. I have same handle in bigger 2band but the handle is even more bigger than 24mm synth. The corners just keep clinking inside the shave mug while loading if soap is running low. Wanted to like them both, but....

It does come in a 2 band badger.

Mawashi, I do have 26mm Moka. But the handle is too big for my liking/medium size hand and keeps clinking inside a soap mug if the soap is somewhere at bottom. I was wishing to see 2band badger in 24mm handle which use synth knot.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What I wasn't expecting was the funk. It was like lathering with salted fish fins phew lol!

The damp bloom.

Pretty amazing feeling but I prefer small to medium brushes and these guys bloom HUGE!

My Silvertip didnt have any smell, at all, really. I sniffed it out of the box and smelled nothing but just to be safe I washed it out well with Dawn dish soap and dried it on a towel. I smelled nothing after that either but then I made a lather, with I think Stirling Black Cherry, and let it dry. Once dry I rinsed it out and started using it.

They are a face full of pillowy soft badger lol. Thats why I dont use mine often. It is huge and because it is so big, it hogs a lot of lather. My 20mm Synthetic is more my size and hogs absolutely no lather.

This is mine as new out of the box.

IMG_2383.jpg

Bloomed.

IMG_2399.jpg

They're also pretty dense, as you've noticed.

IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2402.jpg

Yaqi makes nice brushes...

If by chance you want to go back to the 'as new' shape, let it dry inside a toilet paper roll. ;)

Mawashi, I do have 26mm Moka. But the handle is too big for my liking/medium size hand and keeps clinking inside a soap mug if the soap is somewhere at bottom. I was wishing to see 2band badger in 24mm handle which use synth knot.

Ahh I see, yeah a 24mm would be sufficient 26 is huge. Like you I prefer a slightly smaller bloom and loft, the metal handle brushes have less splay.

My Silvertip didnt have any smell, at all, really. I sniffed it out of the box and smelled nothing but just to be safe I washed it out well with Dawn dish soap and dried it on a towel. I smelled nothing after that either but then I made a lather, with I think Stirling Black Cherry, and let it dry. Once dry I rinsed it out and started using it.

They are a face full of pillowy soft badger lol. Thats why I dont use mine often. It is huge and because it is so big, it hogs a lot of lather. My 20mm Synthetic is more my size and hogs absolutely no lather.

This is mine as new out of the box.

View attachment 991611

Bloomed.

View attachment 991612

They're also pretty dense, as you've noticed.

View attachment 991614 View attachment 991613

Yaqi makes nice brushes...

If by chance you want to go back to the 'as new' shape, let it dry inside a toilet paper roll. ;)

Hey buddy long time no hear

I have 2 purple 2 band thanks to the postal mess-up and one smells awful while the other is fine... I expected some batch differences.

Same here it's huge lol. But so nice and I'm looking for the 2 band in a tighter knot.

There's a mini sale going on now but its not as good as their recent sale.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190618_082259_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618_082259_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 11
proxy.php

I'm not much into buying more brushes right now, but I really like the look of the handle on the far left.

I'd want it in either two band (the Yaqi two bands I have are excellent) or maybe silvertip (which I've heard good things about from Mike @Esox).

View attachment 991381

Here's one of my nice Yaqi brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The one that you're talking about, Yaqi Moka Express, is an excellent synthetic. I did not like it at first as it has quite a bit of backbone and springy bristles like Omega Synthetic. However, I enjoy it now and it's actually becoming one of my favorite synthetic. I'd say give it a try... but I don't know your brush collection. haha.

Yeah, I wish the moka came with a 24mm badger knot. The handle is the perfect size, I’m not sure how I’d go with a larger version of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I wish the moka came with a 24mm badger knot. The handle is the perfect size, I’m not sure how I’d go with a larger version of it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have given up on them both, don't like synth and can't use 2 band. Both are benched in spite of potential.

2band 26mm knot badger is housed in even bigger Octagon handle. It feel huge and only way to use it, is to rest the handle base on palm and wrap fingers around handle. I mean I am not a wee lad or have dainty hand but this 26mm handle is just huge. Loading from mug is a pain as well. All that clinking noise can drive anyone nuts.
The hexagon shaped 24mm is just the right size but houses a synth knot. It has no backbone that I like and fling lather when I am working on lather making. I don't like soapy water streaking down my palm and hands. With careful work I can avoid that, but it is just too much of drama I never have to undergo with boars and badgers. I really liked the shape and design concept of handle but it didn't worked the way I wanted to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The one that you're talking about, Yaqi Moka Express, is an excellent synthetic. I did not like it at first as it has quite a bit of backbone and springy bristles like Omega Synthetic. However, I enjoy it now and it's actually becoming one of my favorite synthetic. I'd say give it a try... but I don't know your brush collection. haha.

I don't care for synthetics, but that's just me.

That handle comes with a two band also.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have 2 purple 2 band thanks to the postal mess-up and one smells awful while the other is fine... I expected some batch differences.

Try washing out and lathering the smelly one with shampoo. That might help.

My little 22mm Maggard (Yaqi) synthetic is all the brush I need. Plenty big enough, incredibly soft, zero scritch and decent backbone. It loads very quickly too.

Try washing out and lathering the smelly one with shampoo. That might help.

My little 22mm Maggard (Yaqi) synthetic is all the brush I need. Plenty big enough, incredibly soft, zero scritch and decent backbone. It loads very quickly too.

Thx Esox, the funk disappeared after 3 uses with Arko rofl.

The two band moka express is actually a bit larger than the synthetic one. Great for big hands and the knot is fantastic. Dense and soft/scrubby 2-band.

26mm is huge I even find the 24mm purple 2 band BIG.

The 24mm moka with a 2 band bulb would be excellent.

Thx Esox, the funk disappeared after 3 uses with Arko rofl.

26mm is huge I even find the 24mm purple 2 band BIG.

The 24mm moka with a 2 band bulb would be excellent.
26mm is huge but that's why I like it. Splays across the face and it's like a plushy ball against your face. I like both 24mm and 26mm but I can't go bigger than that. I can't imagine what 30mm feels like, haha.

26mm is huge but that's why I like it. Splays across the face and it's like a plushy ball against your face. I like both 24mm and 26mm but I can't go bigger than that. I can't imagine what 30mm feels like, haha.

30mm would like having a feather duster on your face. Forget aiming, it'll be smear n clear, think cream pie fight not painting lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2019-6-19_9-26-44.jpeg

30mm would like having a feather duster on your face. Forget aiming, it'll be smear n clear, think cream pie fight not painting lol.

That's not been my experience at all.

MS.30mm.Silver.New.Old.3-18.640.JPG

I believe my largest knots are supposed to be about 30mm but actually measure 33mm with my calipers. Both of these are silvertips.

I experience them as huge walls of soft badger. They have adequate backbone (actually quite good backbone). They're dense. The are not imprecise according to my view of how brushes should be. Perhaps you might think I'm just used to and exceptionally skilled with huge brushes, and I suppose I am used to them, but doubt I've got skills beyond the norm.

BOSC.2.EnablersOf shaving science.jpg

If we don't try things we'll never find out whether we like them or not, but that doesn't mean we should go beyond the bounds of scientific curiosity.

upload_2019-6-19_9-24-35.png

Of course, just because I like these big brushes doesn't mean everyone will. I'm sure some gentlemen experience them as a pie in the face.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom