What's new

Noob shaver, Timeless .68 review

Ok guys, been a minute but Timeless Day 3.....SOTD

proxy.php

tl;dr below in bold

Longer review here:

Was waiting on some North from @Captain Pre-Capsize and it showed out today.....Scott was a sick quick pimp and inserted some samples for me:

proxy.php

Venture and 45th Parallel....can't wait to try these. Interestingly enough, I ended up here today thru no fault of my own:

proxy.php

and this is pretty much exactly what North smells like. I'm sitting here basking in the scent of the AS balm and it smells like winter. If you've ever spent time in the desert in the winter, this catches it.

Anyway, you're not here for that, you're here for the Timeless review. Keep in mind tonight's review is brought to you by Fryette Amplification and O'Dells awesome Jolly Russian:

proxy.php

and by the brilliant album Desolation by Khemmis:

proxy.php

That out of the way, let's get to it, shall we?

Got home after adventures in the blizzardy SE of SLC and found the package of goodies Scott sent me, got to work after a shot and a beer. Loaded up some lather and went at it:

proxy.php

This stuff smells amazing and works incredibly well; makes some SICK lather as you can see.

This took 3 passes......you know the drill...WTG, ATG, XTG....and there was some buffing. A LOT of buffing. I haven't shaved for a couple days, hence the late review. I skipped Wednesday, skipped most of Thursday, and shaved early on Tuesday....this was most of 48 hours growth, so there was some stuff. My jawline is weird and grows in all different directions, my neck is weird, it's all weird. It takes time.

This razor does it, it just takes TIME to do it.

For me, it's not efficient. It's just isn't. I'm not trying to rag on anybody's taste or purchases or whatever, but for me and my beard, at the .68 plate this is NOT a fast razor. Technique is involved sure......but for me, this is slow on day 3, whereas the Karve was more intuitive and faster, the Krona was kicking this thing's *** on day 3, and the SLOC is just a beast and will murder on day 1.

Is it a great razor? Yes, it is. it's built amazingly well, it looks awesome, it shaves impeccably....just not as fast as I would like it to.

At the end of the day, whenever we do it, to me shaving is a chore. It's something I've managed to turn into a joy given the options available to me for soap and AS and razors or blades etc.....but at the end of the day it's still almost something I DON'T WANT TO DO. Anything that prolongs that beyond my wishes is an inferior product. I'll GET faster with it, I know I will...but is it going to be something that I can get as fast as I am with the Karve? Time will tell.

It's still taking longer on day 3 than I wish it would for BBS.
Is it there? Yes.
Can I achieve it with minimal effort? Yes.
Is it faster than the Karve which costs roughly 1/3rd the price? Nope.

So if you're looking for the gist, it's right here:

3 passes, BBS. Took some work tho, ain’t gonna lie. This is NOT a fast razor for me, not on the .68 plate anyway. I’m gonna have to go up to the .95 for a daily driver. I don’t have to as I have the Karve, but when it suits me I will.

Nice review. I've thought about getting a Timeless razor, but am getting too many great shaves with my Karve. I did pick up Absolution by Khemmis after reading your post and am enjoying that so thanks for the tip.

Nice review. I've thought about getting a Timeless razor, but am getting too many great shaves with my Karve. I did pick up Absolution by Khemmis after reading your post and am enjoying that so thanks for the tip.

Nice, glad you’re digging it, that’s a fantastic album.

Karve and Timeless both great shaves, atm I’m partial to the Karve but I’ll be grabbing the .95 plate just to see how that does.

I have made my Timeless Titanium 0.68 my daily razor and use it most of the time. As a daily shaver it is smooth, efficient and comfortable for me. I believe the titanium handle is 85 mm and is a nice length for this razor. I found that I needed to use a less shallow angle than with other razors. After changing to the less shallow angle, the efficiency improved greatly.

I have made my Timeless Titanium 0.68 my daily razor and use it most of the time. As a daily shaver it is smooth, efficient and comfortable for me. I believe the titanium handle is 85 mm and is a nice length for this razor. I found that I needed to use a less shallow angle than with other razors. After changing to the less shallow angle, the efficiency improved greatly.

Good advice man....just finished my daily and took that advice. Worked well; think I'll get better at this Timeless after a bit.

Thanks!

Wanted to update this a bit.....95 plate should be here this week but I've been using the .68 for a few shaves, and after changing up my technique with this razor I'm very impressed.

Once I stopped trying to make it be my Karve, this thing just excels...stopped applying pressure, let the razor do the work, and it's a great daily driver. WAY more efficient than I gave it credit for....3 pass DFS, approaching BBS. It just works. No scrapes, no nicks, no cuts, no weepers and no burn.

Timeless .95 should be here later this week and it'll be interesting to compare them....some days I don't WANT a whole huge scrape like the Karve gives me, I just want to clean my face up. This plate is perfect for that.

Finally get where you guys that use it as a daily are coming from.

Bravo ... great review @Steinmetzify ... well done. I will like to see how the .95 Timeless performs versus the Karve plate C. Did you get the .95 in Straight Bar, Open Comb or Scalloped?
I find the .95 SB ti timeless smoother and more efficient than the karve SB C plate. Same can be said about the timeless bronze SB when compared to the karve. Actually, the timeless bronze is the reason I sold my Karve. Hope that helps.

Bravo ... great review @Steinmetzify ... well done. I will like to see how the .95 Timeless performs versus the Karve plate C. Did you get the .95 in Straight Bar, Open Comb or Scalloped?

Since I already had the .68 in scalloped and the Timeless website advised a SB for everyday smooth shaves I went with that one.

Stoked; the .68 turned out to be really great, excited to see how the .95 compares to that and the Karve too.

@Steinmetzify
Its great to hear your getting great shaves with your 68 plate. I'm sure the efficiency kick of the 95 plate will get you to BBS in 2-3 passes. Since using my Ti95SB that I got a year ago February I am now getting BBS in 2 passes and now only shave every other day as the BBS shaves last on average of 26-30 hrs. There literally isn't much the next morning even if I wanted to shave!!

I find the .95 SB ti timeless smoother and more efficient than the karve SB C plate. Same can be said about the timeless bronze SB when compared to the karve. Actually, the timeless bronze is the reason I sold my Karve. Hope that helps.
Thank you Sir for your input and comparison btwn Timeless vs Karve C plate. I will keep that in mind.

Timeless .95 showed up:

proxy.php

Bit more blade gap on this humpy:

proxy.php

Right off the bat, the SB is a little more grabby when buffing than the scalloped plate seems to be....I either need more water or better technique. I'll stick to this one for about a week or so and learn the angles. As it was, 2 pass BBS on par with the Karve C (my gold standard as of right now). Dig it. I like the .68 but it takes longer.

9/10 just because I'm not familiar with the .95 yet.

Man I'll say this.....I chucked the .95 onto a little shorty Maggard's handle, got some unprecedented control, which led to the two best shaves of my life. This thing stays.

proxy.php

.95 and my Karve are my two lifer razors so far.

Man I'll say this.....I chucked the .95 onto a little shorty Maggard's handle, got some unprecedented control, which led to the two best shaves of my life. This thing stays.

proxy.php

.95 and my Karve are my two lifer razors so far.
Way to go! That handle looks very good with the Timeless .95, most importantly it performs the way you want it. I think you found the perfect match. Nice!

Awesome. Interestingly, I just ordered the Timeless handle that you abandoned. I hope I have better luck with it.

Yeah, the 100mm was way too long for me....I have some weird angles on my jawline I need to get to, and some weirdly thick back muscles and that made it really uncomfortable for me to use at those angles.

I have the 85mm/14mm that just showed up today, but I dunno if I'm even going to try it. I think I'm a short handle guy for life.

@McNutt I hope that one works out for you tho! Let me know.

I have the Timeless Titanium .95OC with extra plates in .95 Open/Smooth and .68 smooth. Started out with the .68. Nice shave. Got the .95 Dual plate, great shaves. Open side better. I now only use the .95 OC. Best shaves ever. Very light touch, good soap and a good blade. I have my Grail razor. No redness, weepers or irritation. 2 pass 1 WTG and 1 ATG with 1 area pickup if I want BBS on 2 days growth. I seek no more.

Oh, wait, I am replacing a 100mm with an 85mm knurled Timeless handle. I'm not going with another 100mm. That's too long for me too (even though that 100mm plaid is beautiful).

I have the Timeless Titanium .95OC with extra plates in .95 Open/Smooth and .68 smooth. Started out with the .68. Nice shave. Got the .95 Dual plate, great shaves. Open side better. I now only use the .95 OC. Best shaves ever. Very light touch, good soap and a good blade. I have my Grail razor. No redness, weepers or irritation. 2 pass 1 WTG and 1 ATG with 1 area pickup if I want BBS on 2 days growth. I seek no more.

Nice man, I thought about the OC but I shave daily, sometimes in less than 24 hrs time. I hit Timeless and that’s what they recommended for my needs, I still really want to try the OC though. Maybe after a while, between this one and my Karve I feel pretty set for razors for a minute, even though I have other stuff that’s nice as well. I might have to PIF some stuff....

Oh, wait, I am replacing a 100mm with an 85mm knurled Timeless handle. I'm not going with another 100mm. That's too long for me too (even though that 100mm plaid is beautiful).

Oh I hear you, it’s completely awesome to look at and hold, really great craftsmanship. Glad you’re grabbing the 85 though; I’ve been using an 85mm Razorock handle on both the .68 and the .95 and that length worked a ton better for me.

If you still feel it’s too long and want maneuverability more like your Karve, that MR3 razor is like $25 on eBay.

Top Bottom