What's new

The Daily Double

DD about time for a new blade and the Fatips

Pass 1 Grande Nero
Pass 2 and touch up Piccolo SE
Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
RazoRock What the Puck Lime with a dab of Cremo to uberize and bring the mint
Whiting-Adams vintage boar

The Fatips deserve more slots in the rotation than they have been getting. I was shooting for just DFS but got a bit more with an easy, low drama double. Just what was needed on a day that will be a scorcher.

View attachment 989939

Those are some great looking razors. Is the brush hiding in the bushes?:clover::001_302::clover:

I had a great Daily Double today and it happened closer to noon than midnight which is a change. I finally got the coop finished. We will make some small improvements along the way but the hens are finally in the hen house, so are the roosters.

20190612_143959.jpg
20190611_203229.jpg

Back to the shave which is what you all came here for.
HOT shower prep.
Proraso white pre.
Mer shaving sandalwood on omega boar.
Enders with schick proline for the first pas WTG. 2nd use.
Pal adjustable on low with chick blade first use.
Witchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.
Very close comfortable shave.

I bumped the blade forward a hair and 3/4 on the enders. It was actually a better shave than the good shave last time, although slightly more aggressive than today called for. Mid shave I bumped it back a 1/2 a hair and that was The Sweet Spot, for the shave at least. It's pretty easy to adjust when you want to but doesn't seem to move inadvertently while you're shaving. That razor handle so well this was almost as single razor shave but I really wanted to try the Pal , so I refrained from using the Enders for the second pass and gave the Pal a chance. On low setting it was nice and Mild but Plenty efficient.

20190612_145912.jpg

DD beat the heat

Almost 100 yesterday, high 80s forecast today and plenty of outside work that needs to be done before a family weekend. So why not get up before 4 and have time for a double?

Pass 1 ATT S2 slant head on a custom Russian Ti “pineapple” handle
Pass 2 Fendrihan all stainless dual comb “Artist” handle
Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Cella/Cremo Cooling bowl lather overdose to help break in the
Beautiful new boar - Shave Forge knot set with a scrubby 47mm loft in a gorgeous olive wood handle turned by @GAW9576

6858D98D-7B14-4302-9495-9BB5A92B5403.jpeg

Tried this double with the razor assignments backwards. Pass 2 is the precision pass and, for me, the smaller ATT head and the Ti handle make the precision instrument. I was in full Cella guy mode with the copious supply of lather I whipped up, so I could barely find my face to do any precision work. Fun, but perhaps not efficient.

Last edited:
DD beat the heat

Almost 100 yesterday, high 80s forecast today and plenty of outside work that needs to be done before a family weekend. So why not get up before 4 and have time for a double?

Pass 1 ATT S2 slant head on a custom Russian Ti “pineapple” handle
Pass 2 Fendrihan all stainless dual comb “Artist” handle
Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Cella/Cremo Cooling bowl lather overdose to help break in the
Beautiful new boar - Shave Forge knot set with a scrubby 47mm loft in a gorgeous olive wood handle turned by @GAW9576

View attachment 990165

Tried this double with the razor assignments backwards. Pass 2 is the precision pass and, for me, the smaller ATT head and the Ti handle make the precision instrument. I was in full Cella guy mode with the copious supply of lather I whipped up, so I could barely find my face to do any precision work. Fun, but perhaps not efficient.

Glad you got the knot set and where able to try it out. How did you like that knot? I have a 28mm awaiting a handle. And I believe it will be Olive wood. How did the handle feel in hand with the knot installed?

Glad you got the knot set and where able to try it out. How did you like that knot? I have a 28mm awaiting a handle. And I believe it will be Olive wood. How did the handle feel in hand with the knot installed?

The knot suits me. It is very stiff and scrubby right now, but I expect it will soften and splay a bit as it breaks in. I was tempted to set the Shave Forge 20mm mistura, but boar is my wheelhouse. I wanted to set it and forget it, not experiment with something new. I plan to use this brush frequently. Short ‘n’ scrubby boar is my daily driver.

The handle feels perfect at this low loft. I am confident it would be a great handle with a taller loft or a softer knot as well. The shape is a real classic that offers a large smooth grip area. It also displays the varying woodgrain well. Seems odd that none of my other brushes are any place close to it. I cut off a wine cork as a spacer to get the loft exact, then used some silicone wetsuit repair glue (tube was open) to set it. Loving it! :001_wub:

Cork is a great idea. I drilled that hole super deep because I planned on experimenting with loft but found I like bigger knots than that handle would handle. Glad you like it.

Today's Daily Double was actually an A.M. shave, I'm just posting late because it's been a busy day.

20190615_071723.jpg

Hot towel prep.
Proraso white pre.
Mer shaving Fougere bay on black badger
PAA Alpha Ecliptic with Astra superior platinum 5th use first pass WTG
PAA Prismatic with same blade 2nd pass ATG
Witchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.
Hot towel cleanup.
Here are more details on my thoughts of both razors.
Just shaved with it this morning.
WARNING Handle with care.
It's an aggressive razor, if you get the angle wrong like I did when I wasn't paying quite enough attention it may bite. When I rode the cap with a very light touch the way the razor is designed to be used it was a very pleasant shave, a d quite efficient.
Someone let me try out the PAA Baklite OC slant. I really liked it and will likely pick one up in the near future. I like that the Ecliptic is a non torquing slant. If you turn the razor around and shave with the other side it is the opposite angle of attack. With the torquing slant it's the same angle when turned. And the Prismatic was quite a nice shave too. It's rated as Medium aggressive which I would agree with and gives lots of audio feedback, which I like.

Father's Day ly Double.
Hot shower prep.
Proraso white preshave.
Mer shaving Fougere Orange donkeys milk soap on two band badger. (love these soaps)
Gem Jr. Bar with 2nd flip Gem SS ptfe. First pass WTG
Enders speed with schick proline for second pass ATG and back of neck.
Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.
Cold water rinse.
Close comfortable fun shave.

20190616_163943.jpg

Photos at Micromatic Monday.....

I performed the first WTG using a pre '34 Geneva straight razor followed by a second WTG face pass, ATG neck and corners with the BMMOC.

For both razors I followed the same process and used the BMMOC with the same care I had used with the SR. I feel I often go too fast with a safety razor and miss small sections leaving stubble.

Photos at Micromatic Monday.....

I performed the first WTG using a pre '34 Geneva straight razor followed by a second WTG face pass, ATG neck and corners with the BMMOC.

For both razors I followed the same process and used the BMMOC with the same care I had used with the SR. I feel I often go too fast with a safety razor and miss small sections leaving stubble.

It's certainly easy to get carried away and go to fast with a safety razor, I don't think I've ever rushed a straight razor shave.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Had a daily double today, and as usual it made me wonder why I ever just shave with one razor -- in a word, it was AWESOME!!! Here is the photographic evidence....
IMG_1826.jpg
The write up with all of the particulars are over at Micromatic Monday. I've been using more DE's and I think I'll be doing a Daily-Double with my Gillette New SC and an SE razor (probably the AutoStrop B2)....in other words, I'll Be Back :001_cool:!!!

Had a daily double today, and as usual it made me wonder why I ever just shave with one razor -- in a word, it was AWESOME!!! Here is the photographic evidence....
View attachment 991435
The write up with all of the particulars are over at Micromatic Monday. I've been using more DE's and I think I'll be doing a Daily-Double with my Gillette New SC and an SE razor (probably the AutoStrop B2)....in other words, I'll Be Back :001_cool:!!!

Nice Terminator quotes and nice Daily Double.

Today's Daily Double
Hot shower prep
Bloom water pre
Mer shaving Fougere Orange on two band badger.
Star Lather catcher with despined and wedge adapter Gem SS ptfe 1st use WTG
Gem Featherweight deluxe with Gem ss ptfe 3rd flip. ATG
Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.

I should have corked the blade for the Star but it wasn't terribly rough. The featherweight did fine.

20190617_115926.jpg
20190617_145952.jpg
20190617_150112.jpg
20190617_150158.jpg

After taking the first picture I tried putting the blade with the wedge adapter in the star razor. It just was not going to happen so I had to do a fair amount of sanding and filing to the wedge adapter the right thickness to fit in. I think I got it to be a pretty darn good fit. But I definitely think I need to start corking the gem blades before their first use.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Micromatic Monday for myself today and the shave had a some irritation according to the Alum block, but no weepers on a blade with (8) shaves.
First time to enter a shave on the Daily double, interesting, I will use a Schick injector for a touch up once in a blue moon. The slim works well for light shaving on my ears were any other razor will nick me, I also trim the blade on the ends so not to catch other sensitive parts of the ear with blade overhang.
Razor: Gem Micromatic
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)
Soap: Razorock XXX
Brush: Razorock plissoft
Pre shave : Shower + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock XXX Aftershave + witch hazel + Nivea balm
mmmonday-june-17-2019-2-jpg.991621

I used the Gillette slim setting (1)to trim my ear hair, a lot of barbers like to trim the ears but it makes a person trim them on a regular basis now. A person should avoid trimming ear hair as long as possible IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Did my first ever daily double today. GEM 1912 (GEM SS blade) on the first pass and my Gillette Fatboy D4 (Gillette 7 o'clock blade) for the 2nd and 3rd. This was my first shave with the Fatboy so I started on a 4 but dialed it up to a 7 right away. The Gillette blade was from a sample pack, it was ok but I felt a bit of tugging at one point. Otherwise the Fatboy was a good shave at 7 for me, and the GEM did great as always.

Soap is Stirling Gentleman (sample size), brush is Stirling lil' brudder synthetic, my first try on those as well and I enjoyed them.
20190619_153608.jpg

Today's Daily Double shave was much better than my last.@Flintstone65 and I noticed a few interesting things mid-shave, but first the process.

Hot shower prep with Noxzema wash.
Pre lather with a little shave soap and let it sit for a bit.
Lightly lather up some Mer shaving Mysore Sandalwood with my two band badger then face lather the rest of the way.
First pass WTG with Star lather catcher loaded with a 4th use Gem SS
Second pass ATG with Gillette ABC Scroll and a 5th use Bluebird.
Witchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash them a cool water rinse.
This was a much much more comfortable shave than the last one when I used the wedge adapter. I pay close attention to using light pressure and riding the cap so to speak.

20190619_075626.jpg
20190619_090801.jpg
20190619_090836.jpg

I can't say the whole difference was the non adapted blade because this blade was broken in, however this is what I noticed mid shave and why I don't think I will bother with the adapter again, at least in this razor.

20190619_090512.jpg

The blade naturally sits high in the back. It seems to me if you drew a line through the center of a wedge blade this is about how it would ride in the razor.
Here are two more photos at different angles.

20190619_090647.jpg

I love the shadow of the razor in this picture^.

20190619_090609.jpg

The conclusion is that this is a pretty impressive razor, and it shaves much better than I had previously thought.
The fact that it is about 119 ( am age as my house ) and shaves so well is a testament to the build quality and great design. And it's a beautiful razor.

Last edited:
Today's Daily Double shave was much better than my last.@Flintstone65 and I noticed a few interesting things mid-shave, but first the process.

Hot shower prep with Noxzema wash.
Pre lather with a little shave soap and let it sit for a bit.
Lightly lather up some Mer shaving Mysore Sandalwood with my two band badger then face lather the rest of the way.
First pass WTG with Star lather catcher loaded with a 4th use Gem SS
Second pass ATG with Gillette ABC Scroll and a 5th use Bluebird.
Witchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash them a cool water rinse.
This was a much much more comfortable shave than the last one when I used the wedge adapter. I pay close attention to using light pressure and riding the cap so to speak.

View attachment 992113 View attachment 992114 View attachment 992115

I can't say the whole difference was the non adapted blade because this blade was broken in, however this is what I noticed mid shave and why I don't think I will bother with the adapter again, at least in this razor.

View attachment 992116

The blade naturally sits high in the back. It seems to me if you drew a line through the center of a wedge blade this is about how it would ride in the razor.
Here are two more photos at different angles.

View attachment 992117

I love the shadow of the razor in this picture^.

View attachment 992118

The conclusion is that this is a pretty impressive razor, and it shaves much better than I had previously thought.
The fact that it is about 119 ( am age as my house ) and shaves so well is a testament to the build quality and great design. And it's a beautiful razor.

Very impressive tools, my good friend. :ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

Very impressive tools, my good friend. :ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

Thank you. I'm glad @Flintstone65 gave me some good advice on smoothing out the Star. It was an impressive difference in shave quality. I'm so glad I found this forums and the fantastic group of gentlemen, my shaves are continually improving and the camaraderie improves my outlook on life.

Top Bottom