What's new

Yaqi Triplets.

My weekend straight with my new furballs!
IMG_20190525_130127.jpg

Like eating a great, messy burger, the experience was a really guilty pleasure lol.

I soaked the Mysterious Space Silvertip brush in ice water and proceeded to face lather with Niko (nivea/arko mix)... I swore I nodded off some time during the cold water lather... It was like a spray of winter must during a sweltering summer day.

It was hypnotic and I found blobs of lather dripping off my face... It was greasy burger messy lol.

The bad was it didn't exfoliate as well as I would have liked and it became a bit floppy but the lather was straight ready and I got a BBS easily.

I had enough lather for 4 or more passes.

My Monday shave wasn't as exciting. Back to works shaves, a GC84/BIC Niko Brown Ferrari shave.

My 2nd shave with the other side of the BIC and it went amazing well, BBS with a loud buzz from the GC84.

The Brown Ferrari is a great syn brush. Ultra smooth, decent backbone, the sort of no muss no fuss face lather suited for a working weekday.

The sort of clean, no mess, quick and easy shave/clean up that gets you ready for work in no time.

The Brown Ferrari may be a tad ordinary but it's as reliable as clockwork.

What great brushes.

The clear plastic tube that comes with smaller Omegas are great for Yaqi too as travel containers, another plus.

IMG_20190525_164606.jpg IMG_20190525_164642.jpg

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Last edited:
I have the Mew Brown and it's an excellent brush with a hint of "scritch", but as a face latherer I fell in love with the YaQi 24mm Cashmere (green Dandelion) and use it for 95%+ of my shaving. Softer than the Mew Brown and just enough backbone/splay for perfect face lathering. Try one.

My one issue is needing to find a watch Smith that can calibrate it well as the movement tends to be a bit fast so you gain a few seconds every day.

Mechanical watches drifft with daily activity (your movements) and the position of the spring (run faster or slower). Your watch is good, but you need to find the optimal resting position at night. Some keep them resting face up/down, sideways, depending on lifestyle. It compensates for those extra few seconds.

You need to treat your mechanical watch like part of your body. When your sense of time is locked in synergy with the mechanism you may get mind blowing accuracy. I've had my Vostok Amphibia run perfect for a period of 6 months within +- 5s (for the total of 180 days). I rest it sideways or face up, depending if I have a slow or active day.

I have the Mew Brown and it's an excellent brush with a hint of "scritch", but as a face latherer I fell in love with the YaQi 24mm Cashmere (green Dandelion) and use it for 95%+ of my shaving. Softer than the Mew Brown and just enough backbone/splay for perfect face lathering. Try one.

Thx Bogeyman,

Something else worth a look... At this rate I might as well get the lot of every Yaqi there is lol.

There's something to be said about the face lathering abilities of a boar too.

I'm awaiting delivery for a couple of 24mm board to see what works best for me.

What I found out so far after trying numerous brushes:

Synthetics are just that, synthetic. Their skirtch, backbone, smoothness etc etc are all uniform. Virtually nothing changes from the start till the end of the lather which makes them rather dull. The advantage is how easily they clean up and dry.
They are perfect for workday shaves and travel.
So far the Ferrari is the standard I'll measure other syns by.

Boars require more tlc and elbow grease depending on the hairs used. I find boars the most unique & versatile of the brushes as a broken in boar can have badger soft tips and strong backbone.
Boars brushes are great and really affordable if you don't go for crazy expensive thaters for example. If all I had were boars I'll be more than content.
My idea boar brush is a 24/48 mm bleached boar hair in a long handle brush.

Badgers are the epitomy of luxury and for those who need/want the very best, there isn't much else that will compare.

I'm definitely a stubby loft guy. My preferred knots are:
2 band 24/42mm
Silvertip 24/45

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Mechanical watches drifft with daily activity (your movements) and the position of the spring (run faster or slower). Your watch is good, but you need to find the optimal resting position at night. Some keep them resting face up/down, sideways, depending on lifestyle. It compensates for those extra few seconds.

You need to treat your mechanical watch like part of your body. When your sense of time is locked in synergy with the mechanism you may get mind blowing accuracy. I've had my Vostok Amphibia run perfect for a period of 6 months within +- 5s (for the total of 180 days). I rest it sideways or face up, depending if I have a slow or active day.

Hey naughtilus,

My dive watch has a very accurate +10 s every day rofl. It is consistently off from the start lol.

I got it for a measly $105 so the $300 tune up is crazy.

Granted it's a first generation orange monster and worth a good $300 or more but, I'm ok with a 1 min wind back every weekend rather than paying $300.

I'll make sure my next dive watch will be properly tuned from the start.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

My weekend straight with my new furballs!
View attachment 984425

Like eating a great, messy burger, the experience was a really guilty pleasure lol.

I soaked the Mysterious Space Silvertip brush in ice water and proceeded to face lather with Niko (nivea/arko mix)... I swore I nodded off some time during the cold water lather... It was like a spray of winter must during a sweltering summer day.

It was hypnotic and I found blobs of lather dripping off my face... It was greasy burger messy lol.

The bad was it didn't exfoliate as well as I would have liked and it became a bit floppy but the lather was straight ready and I got a BBS easily.

I had enough lather for 4 or more passes.

My Monday shave wasn't as exciting. Back to works shaves, a GC84/BIC Niko Brown Ferrari shave.

My 2nd shave with the other side of the BIC and it went amazing well, BBS with a loud buzz from the GC84.

The Brown Ferrari is a great syn brush. Ultra smooth, decent backbone, the sort of no muss no fuss face lather suited for a working weekday.

The sort of clean, no mess, quick and easy shave/clean up that gets you ready for work in no time.

The Brown Ferrari may be a tad ordinary but it's as reliable as clockwork.

What great brushes.

The clear plastic tube that comes with smaller Omegas are great for Yaqi too as travel containers, another plus.

View attachment 984423 View attachment 984424

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

You mean that Omegas are sold in those tubes in your country??! It's the first time i see them! :blink: Omega must have changed packaging...

You mean that Omegas are sold in those tubes in your country??! It's the first time i see them! :blink: Omega must have changed packaging...

It's not my omega, its my buddy's 13522. My other Omegas the 49 n 104 came in paper boxes so I thought it's only for the smaller boars.

Either way it's no biggie to go to an arts n craft store to get a plastic tube w caps.

Cheers BF,

Mawashi

There is a cure for that. It's called quartz. Walk out of the Stone Age. :D

There is a cure for that. It's called quartz. Walk out of the Stone Age. :D

It's also called cheapo.

Today's watch. I have been feeling this stone age for 12 years with this one without missing a beat. View attachment 984793

A good mechanical is always a thing worth keeping.

I'm not a guy who wants to pay ridiculous amounts for watches but I will get something I appreciate.

Prospex SBDX014 and SBDX016 Review - Timeless Luxury Watches
In a metal bracelet.

Last edited:
It's also called cheapo...

There are many HAQ watches costing thousands and accurate to under 10 secs. a year. I wear a watch to be on time. Mechanical watches have gone the way of the dodo and are essentially "jewelry" and nothing more. The horological equivalent of the musket.

There are many HAQ watches costing thousands and accurate to under 10 secs. a year. I wear a watch to be on time. Mechanical watches have gone the way of the dodo and are essentially "jewelry" and nothing more. The horological equivalent of the musket.

Irony... Someone promoting electronics in an old school shaving forum.

Got bunch of watches, quartz included. The Vostok is my favorite.

My only electronic "watch" is my shearwater dive comp and my phone.

YAY they finally arrived! Congrats!!

Your description about the badger brushes is very accurate...but your negatives about them are my positives haha

I love the black/purple swirl handle along with the fan shaped two band (I have a second one of these in my travel kit).

The silvertip I have both in fan and bulb. I love both but the fan is slightly nicer as it has a bigger face coverage and I enjoy a soft silvertip enveloping my face :)

Yaqi really have done their badger brushes perfectly IMO. Great density, and very well balanced backbone & density.

Congrats again and enjoy!!

which Yaqi would you recommend ( non synthetic ? ). Nothing too big , just good enough for 2pass shave. Soft with some backbone

which Yaqi would you recommend ( non synthetic ? ). Nothing too big , just good enough for 2pass shave. Soft with some backbone

Out of the badger brushes, Yaqi have silvertip and two band finest.
Do you know which you would prefer?
Silvertip for me is the apex of brush luxury but they have significantly less backbone than two bands.

The two bands (once broken in) retain backbone but give a nice scrubby feeling on the face.

Yaqi offer 21mm in silvertip only. The rest are 24mm, which are generously packed with hair. Great value for money!
But they may be a bit big for just two passes but then...this hobby is also about luxury, not just completing a chore :)

Yaqi is nice, in fact just put my first use on a new synthetic two-band style I got from them yesterday, but personally I appreciate the hard work our postal service workers do.

Out of the badger brushes, Yaqi have silvertip and two band finest.
Do you know which you would prefer?
Silvertip for me is the apex of brush luxury but they have significantly less backbone than two bands.

The two bands (once broken in) retain backbone but give a nice scrubby feeling on the face.

Yaqi offer 21mm in silvertip only. The rest are 24mm, which are generously packed with hair. Great value for money!
But they may be a bit big for just two passes but then...this hobby is also about luxury, not just completing a chore :)

+1

Personally I have 2 silvertips, the purple and short metal handle version. The metal version is my favorite as its really nice n dense, doesn't splay as much and it's 52mm loft really feels great for face lathering.

I'll be getting the 2 band badger in both short and long metal handle as I prefer the 2 band's scrub over the Silvertip.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

+1

Personally I have 2 silvertips, the purple and short metal handle version. The metal version is my favorite as its really nice n dense, doesn't splay as much and it's 52mm loft really feels great for face lathering.

I'll be getting the 2 band badger in both short and long metal handle as I prefer the 2 band's scrub over the Silvertip.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Same goes for the short metal two band. It has a lower loft and doesn't bloom put too much.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

I'm not much into buying more brushes right now, but I really like the look of the handle on the far left.

I'd want it in either two band (the Yaqi two bands I have are excellent) or maybe silvertip (which I've heard good things about from Mike @Esox).

GD-Mallard-Fougere.5-14-19.Kit.350.Yaqi.640JPG.JPG

Here's one of my nice Yaqi brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom