What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Pretty sure some steels and grinds and even razor brands are better than others, but, perhaps more than that different steels and grinds and razor brands are different from each other. Not pretending that I've got it all sorted out or anything close to that.

I wonder if there are some steels and grinds we could all agree are the best were we all to try them? What's your guess?

I'm just rubbing steel on rocks until it's sharp. It's that simple and that complicated.
  • Rubbing how?
  • Not rock. Rocks (sometimes).
  • Until is a very big word (sometimes).
The really hard part for me now is determining when to quit and do the shave test. The shave test sometimes tells me I'd be a fool to make the razor sharper even if I could. Other times it tells me the razor needs more work, but it never tells me exactly how much. Well, maybe it does, but I'm not able to hear it yet.

Just fumbling along I am.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I cannot imagine a professional back in the day could or wanted to spend as much effort as we do. Perhaps honing was the apprentice's job. Wish I knew more.

Looking at eBay offerings, lots of razors were honed more on the tips and 4/8-5/8 are more plentiful. Looks also like many razors were used past their prime and perhaps because they were a good tool.

Considering Barber supply razors, they were appealing to the professional. Most were hollow ground and 5/8. I feel that I've learned much studying old ads and auctions.

On another topic a person once said, perfect is for beginners. I suspect many razors we would reject was the favorite of an ancient barber.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was really good.

6-11-19.TorreySnap.Kit.640.Chai.Horse.JPG

This is a really nice blade and kit.
  • Torrey 136 with blade snap holder.
  • Zenith extra soft horsehair brush (wonderful brush).
  • Grooming Dept soap, preshave, serum.
  • PAA Beach cologne and aftershave.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
Very nice shave indeed.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can relate to this.

While I don't use a straight often, I'm glad I only have a few. I'm not trying to find universal truths, or determine when something works and when it doesn't. I just need to do whatever it takes to make it sharp - then leave it alone. There's less to have to learn and remember that way.

Your voyage strikes me as like trying to figure out how to drive and maintain a car by using a different one every day. I'm not saying your way is wrong, as you're obviously getting an immense amount of fun and satisfaction with it (when it works), but I am glad it's you doing it, and not me :D

It's not how I do most things, but it working and it is fun.

I cannot imagine a professional back in the day could or wanted to spend as much effort as we do. Perhaps honing was the apprentice's job. Wish I knew more.

Looking at eBay offerings, lots of razors were honed more on the tips and 4/8-5/8 are more plentiful. Looks also like many razors were used past their prime and perhaps because they were a good tool.

Considering Barber supply razors, they were appealing to the professional. Most were hollow ground and 5/8. I feel that I've learned much studying old ads and auctions.

On another topic a person once said, perfect is for beginners. I suspect many razors we would reject was the favorite of an ancient barber.

Lots of truth there.

Perfect is for beginners.

Very nice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Some great mail yesterday...

6-11-19.NortonWashita#1.Box.640.JPG

6-11-19.Washita.Top.&FatBoy.640.JPG

This is a really nice new Washita I scored (the FatBoy razor in the photo is purely for scale and not new to me).

The box has a little broken place on one end (which doesn't show up at all in the photos). Fortunately it snaps back in place perfectly. I may decide to put some glue on it and clamp it (fix it) but it will probably be fine without any fixing. I may also sand out the inside edges of the box to make the stone fit a smidgeon less tightly because I had a bit of difficulty removing the stone.

The first thing though is to shellac the label and soak the stone in Simple Green.

I like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave went very well.

BokerTree.Kit.640.6-12-19.JPG

Kit?
  • Boker Tree off DCA. Excellent.
  • GD Barbershop soap, Preshave, Serum. Excellent.
  • Zenith extra soft horsehair brush. Excellent.
Plus these...

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

Excellent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Dying to see what it looks like cleaned up. Curious as to how the label held up as well. Is it flat?

All I've done is one the Ark love thread where the stone is discussed. Examination was extensive, but didn't include any flatness testing. Now spray shellac has been applied and the stone is drying. I'll let it dry for days. I've read that's best with shellac and I'm in no hurry. Next will be Simple Green.

The label seems fine after the shellac, so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was a test of the new from eBay razor I received, cleaned up, and honed on the Double Convex Ark yesterday.

ATOR|ERN.Kit.Molten.Mancurian.640.6-13-19.JPG

Did my honing succeed?

proxy.php

What a nice edge! Oh, my, gracious me!

My kit...
  • This ATOR|ERN|Wald razor.
  • Grooming Dept soap, Preshave, Serum.
  • A good splash.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • A wonderful Zenith Manchurian.
Which splash?

PAA.Beach@Holden.480.2018 (2).JPG

I am very pleased with my razor and its edge, but where do I go from here?

Time to improve my shaving skills.jpg

The edges are sufficient to get it done, but my skills could be better.

I do not expect instant improvement, and I'm not entirely sure how to improve my shaves. All I know is they could be better and it's my responsibility to make it happen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday I enjoyed using one of my Boker Red Injun razors.

Red.Injun.Boker.Kit.SOC.GD.640.JPG

It's off the Double Convex Ark 8x3. It's sharp and comfortable and smart.

Used my usual Grooming Dept software.

Cremo.SR.SpecialReserve.Pinaud.3-8-19.480.JPG

A good Friday scent which lasts and lasts. Not everybody appreciates it but I was chosen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday I used new razor.

6-15-19.FredericksCeleberated.Off-DCA.Kit.640.JPG

Vintage but new to me, this is a Fredericks Celebrated Razor. It cost me $17.78 including shipping. Deal it was as it turns out.

The photo below shows just how wide it is, and its smile, and was taken before I sorta kinda cleaned up the blade.

Fredericks Celebrated Razor.480.6-12-19.JPG

The edge is plenty sharp. It does not need more honing. However, I think I can get it even sharper with more time on the Double Convex Ark.

The rest of my kit was typical for me recently. It was a good shave.

Oh, this is a heavy razor blade and it doesn't sing. That means nothing for the shave, but this shaver likes to be serenaded. It is a very very nice blade anyway.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

View attachment 990841

Vintage but new to me, this is a Fredericks Celebrated Razor.

The photo below shows just how wide it is, and its smile, and was taken before I sorta kinda cleaned up the blade.

View attachment 990842

The edge is plenty sharp. It does not need more honing. However, I think I can get it even sharper with more time on the Double Convex Ark.

Oh, this is a heavy razor blade and it doesn't sing. That means nothing for the shave, but this shaver likes to be serenaded.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thats quite a smiler Jim. It really does have a big grin.
Shouldn't be a problem with the DCA though.

I'm waiting on delivery of a Scottish razor thats got a very slight smile.

glasraz1.jpg

Something that was made less than 20 miles from where I live and is probably around 150 years old.
Makes me feel young again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

View attachment 990841

Vintage but new to me, this is a Fredericks Celebrated Razor.

View attachment 990842

Oh, this is a heavy razor blade and it doesn't sing. That means nothing for the shave, but this shaver likes to be serenaded. It is a very very nice blade anyway.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think thats the nicest blade I've seen of yours so far Jim. I think its more a Cheshire Cat grin than a smile haha.

cheshirecat_gicleeprint_dc7a027f-2618-4624-b545-564a732fb94e_grande.jpg

How much honing is too much honing?

time-warns-out-things-44.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thats quite a smiler Jim. It really does have a big grin. Shouldn't be a problem with the DCA though. I'm waiting on delivery of a Scottish razor thats got a very slight smile. Something that was made less than 20 miles from where I live and is probably around 150 years old. Makes me feel young again.

Indeed, the smile was no problem at all with the Double Convex Ark, Doug. I was very impressed with the stone's ability to make honing it so easy. Well, easy is the wrong term as the blade was very hard to hone. Let's try again. I was very impressed that I didn't have to, because of the DCA, do anything particular to hone the smile. I honed as I always do on the DCA and the stone's convexity handled the smile as if it weren't even there.

glasraz1-jpg.990848

Doug, I've never before seen a Scottish razor. Didn't know any were made in Scotland. Very cool. Also it looks like a good old Sheffield razor. I would have thought, just looking at it, Wade or Fredericks, but it is clearly marked on the tang. Does the other side of the tang say anything?

I think thats the nicest blade I've seen of yours so far Jim. I think its more a Cheshire Cat grin than a smile haha. How much honing is too much honing?

CheshireCat.BigTeeth.jpg

Except for the teeth it's a lovely cat, Mike. I know a good feline dental hygienist.

time-warns-out-things-44.jpg

If I had a cat like that, I could find a very good use for the blade.

Fredericks.Face.480.NotCleaned.6-12-19.JPG

Thanks for the complements to my recently honed Fredericks. It is a big and very handsome blade in person. I believe it might be one of the best finds I've come across on eBay particularly at what I gave for it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Father's Day I shaved again with the Fredericks Celebrated Razor.

Fredericks.Celebrated.Father'sDay.2019.Kit.640.JPG

This razor was quite sharp yesterday and "didn't need" more honing, but I honed it anyway just to see if I could get it even sharper.

upload_2019-6-16_13-7-33.png

Oh, yes! After a good bit more time on the Double Convex Ark this edge is a good bit sharper. If anything it is also more comfortable, smoother feeling, and even kinder on my skin. I want to emphasize that I really thought nothing needed to be done. It's not that the edge needed to be improved. I just thought maybe it could be sharpened to even a greater level of perfection.

Tower&Crocjpeg.jpeg

Some things are unlikely, but possible, but that doesn't mean everything is a good idea. As it happens, it was a good idea to hone this edge some more.

Oh, my, is this a nice edge or what?

The Zenith Manchurian and the Grooming Dept Mandarin Bay were the perfect complements to this razor. I had a very enjoyable shave and a very good shave.

Besides, my daughter came for a Father's Day Weekend visit and my wife made me the perfect lunch of black bean, corn, and tomato salad + avocado slices + sautéed scallops. I think it's the best lunch I've had in my entire life.

I wish you a great shave today,

Jim

Doug, I've never before seen a Scottish razor. Didn't know any were made in Scotland. Very cool. Also it looks like a good old Sheffield razor. I would have thought, just looking at it, Wade or Fredericks, but it is clearly marked on the tang. Does the other side of the tang say anything?

I've seen a few Scottish razors on ebay and never thought to bid for any until now.
There's nothing on the back of the tang, and nothing elsewhere to suggest it's sheffield steel.
From the little I can find out the manufacturer was a gunsmith, cutlery maker and general iron mongery.

Hope I can get it back to shaving condition once it arrives.

Any sign of that nice Dorko you bought?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've seen a few Scottish razors on ebay and never thought to bid for any until now.
There's nothing on the back of the tang, and nothing elsewhere to suggest it's sheffield steel.
From the little I can find out the manufacturer was a gunsmith, cutlery maker and general iron mongery.

Hope I can get it back to shaving condition once it arrives.

Any sign of that nice Dorko you bought?

The Dorko spent a few days sitting around in Germany and then began moving my way.

upload_2019-6-16_13-45-53.png

I don't know how fast it will travel from here on. I would be surprised to see it delivered tomorrow, but also surprised if I don't have it in hand by Thursday.

Several other eBay razors are also in transit. I've got so many SRs I don't have time to hone them, but they'll all get their turn eventually. A few I purchased recently are not much to my liking, but only a couple look like bad purchases (and they were cheap purchases). Mostly I've scored some nice kit recently.
upload_2019-6-16_13-51-27.png

All that is to say my razor collection is now officially in a new category.

I can't image the Scottish razor will be any problem at all. It looks like very good steel. Nothing obviously wonky shows up in the photo. Plus, it looks like it will be a razor you immediately like once it is in hand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I am learning about new makers. I've got a bid on one now. I won't broadcast and get outbid, but there are American import companies that brought in excellent razors. I need not go to Sweden or Japan for a decent shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am learning about new makers. I've got a bid on one now. I won't broadcast and get outbid, but there are American import companies that brought in excellent razors. I need not go to Sweden or Japan for a decent shave.

Maybe that's why some of the "American" razors are so hard. Not mentioning any names, but you know which ones.

It does depend some which year and which model, etc. I'm also not saying items from Sweden or Japan are better (because I have no for sure experience of such items and also because I like German, Sheffield, and American steel a whole lot).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Maybe that's why some of the "American" razors are so hard. Not mentioning any names, but you know which ones.

It does depend some which year and which model, etc. I'm also not saying items from Sweden or Japan are better (because I have no for sure experience of such items and also because I like German, Sheffield, and American steel a whole lot).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yes, I am saying the same, not to dis any Swedish or Japanese razors. If I live there or had a connection, I would go for them, but since I am not, I won't be paying more.

What was meant in this thread by "proper moisturizer" rather than using witch hazel? I don't know why alcohol after shave splashes are called "moisturizers" and how people are worried about 14% alcohol in witch hazel when alcohol splashes are like 40-50%.

Top Bottom