What's new

Any cellphone techies here?

I may need to use Uber to get rides to and from medical appointments. My current flip phone can't use apps, of course. Will any smart phone download the uber app? I don't want to spend 100s just to use Uber.

There is an Uber app for both Android and iPhone devices. I don't personally use it, so I can't comment on how well it works. If you don't want to invest in a regular phone plan, you can purchase a lower end smart phone at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc, and just purchase the minutes and data you need, adding to it whenever necessary. You can still use the phone on wireless networks without using your minutes (although you may need to set up phone calls to go over the wireless network instead of cell).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Define "any smartphone" :)

Assuming you mean regular Android or iPhone handsets, any of them released post-2013 should work - Android version needs to be 4.4 or higher, iPhone 4s or later. It'll be a terrible experience to use a phone that old, but it'll work. You should start your search on swappa.com or Gazelle, you'll get a good price on used phones, offer decent customer service, and have screened out all the eBay/Craigslist scammers/spammers.

Define "any smartphone" :)

Assuming you mean regular Android or iPhone handsets, any of them released post-2013 should work - Android version needs to be 4.4 or higher, iPhone 4s or later. It'll be a terrible experience to use a phone that old, but it'll work. You should start your search on swappa.com or Gazelle, you'll get a good price on used phones, offer decent customer service, and have screened out all the eBay/Craigslist scammers/spammers.
Good point. Any smartphone currently on the market, not old second hand ones. Most of the phones I see are at least at Android 7.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I faced nearly the exact same situation: my city gives each resident over 60 fifty-cent Lyft rides within the city limits (and to many medical locations in LA.)

But I needed a smart phone. I went to target, where the very helpful guy set me up. I bought a Moto E4+ for $125 =/- and signed up for Consumer Cellular at $30.00 a month. Works like a champ.

Lyft is the only app I have installed, but I use the phone to text, check my emails, consult Google via voice.

Another option is just to schedule your rides from your computer. I just checked Uber and Lyft, and it appears that Uber will allow you to do that, but Lyft will not, at least as of now.

Another option is just to schedule your rides from your computer. I just checked Uber and Lyft, and it appears that Uber will allow you to do that, but Lyft will not, at least as of now.

That would work well in going to appointments but pick up after, i'd never hazard a guess as to when an appointment might be over and the ride should be there to pick me up.
dave

Pick a smartphone that is not more than a couple of generations out of date, and it should be fine. You might want to post your choice here before purchasing, however.

That would work well in going to appointments but pick up after, i'd never hazard a guess as to when an appointment might be over and the ride should be there to pick me up.
dave
My doctor's office has wifi for patients (in the waiting room). If yours dose the same, you could take your laptop with you and avoid the cost of a smart phone.

My doctor's office has wifi for patients (in the waiting room). If yours dose the same, you could take your laptop with you and avoid the cost of a smart phone.
Good point. I can book a Lyft/Uber at my local airport using their WiFi. It could get a little tricky if there is a long distance between wifi and the pickup zone, but the real time mapping of your driver is usually good enough to judge when to walk out of wifi range to meet.

I don't see why not. I just want to say that I don't think you need one of the Tracfone smartphone-specific plans. You can use one of the original Tracfone plans that you might use with a flip phone, or maybe in your case transfer over. At least that's what I did and continue with on my Tracfone Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro. (It's a little bit older, Android 6.)

I don't have an Uber or Lyft app, so I can't say anything about that.

Last edited:
Who is your current provider? Just upgrading to a smartphone with them may be the best way to go. I'm usually pretty big on used tech, but I'm a little wary of used phones, especially lower end ones. You don't want to get stuck with a worn out battery, and you may not be able to upgrade an older phone to the current OS (especially Android phones) like you can a computer.

Do you have an ipod touch? I've no phone or car but my ipod touch will take the uber and Lyft apps so i could do like @DocPapi suggested and use available wifi and the ipod to connect with a ride if needed.
dave

That LG Premier Pro LTE (L413DL) should be fine. Is it really only $40? Is it unlocked to work with other carriers? It looks like a nice phone for someone who is not a power user.

Here is a list of minimum requirements from Uber's website:

Recommended Devices For Driving With Uber | Uber

The smartphone in question is advertised to be running on the Android 7.1 Nougat OS, which satisfies Uber's requirements for Android 6.0 or newer. Unfortunately, the specs on the processor were not listed, so I can't compare to Uber's minimum requirements, but I really doubt there would be an issue. IMO, that smartphone should be a good choice.

Tracfone requires a service plan, so you'd have to commit to an extra monthly cost from them.

Do you have reliable access to WiFi at both ends of your ride? If so, get an unlocked handset and don't put a sim card in it, you'll be able to get online anywhere you have WiFi. Good options in the US (where I assume you are) include the Moto E4 (moto e (4th gen.) - affordable smartphone) or Samsung A10 (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-A10-...roidcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUacUdUnU73276YYwYg), both in the $125 range.

What's you current phone carrier? You can get a very limited plan in the $15-20 / month range if you shop around, but it's probably going to be a waste of money to have two active plans if you only use the smartphone a couple times a month for minutes at a time.

Here is a list of minimum requirements from Uber's website:

Recommended Devices For Driving With Uber | Uber

The smartphone in question is advertised to be running on the Android 7.1 Nougat OS, which satisfies Uber's requirements for Android 6.0 or newer. Unfortunately, the specs on the processor were not listed, so I can't compare to Uber's minimum requirements, but I really doubt there would be an issue. IMO, that smartphone should be a good choice.
I believe that's for Uber driver's, not passengers. As I recall, he is/will be a passenger.

Sure it is. The minimum plan is $15/month not unlimited.
As I was trying to say earlier, I don't think you need the $15/month plan, unless something has changed. You can, I believe, continue to buy the 90-day cards for $20, or whatever you might have been doing with your old Tracfone, if that's what you have.

Or maybe you don't have to activate at all if you're only using WiFi, but you might as well, so that you have something to make phone calls without having to carry around two devices.

Top Bottom