What's new

Merkur Futur - Disappointing So Far

Yes, Gillette Silver Blues. I came to these after using Feather blades. I found that the GSB has a great combination of sharpness and smoothness. Remember, the right blade can make all the difference in the world.

I've avoided the Merkur Futur. To me, it always looked like it was trying way too hard to be cool and novel. I've also read too many stories like this one. I think it's probably great for some people but way too much for the rest of us. That, and you can't shave under your nose!

What's a GSB please?

ll try anything to make this razor work.
Cheers,
Renato

"GSB" is an abbreviation for the blade "Gillette Silver Blue", which is a Teflon-coated DE razor blade.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Yes, Gillette Silver Blues. I came to these after using Feather blades. I found that the GSB has a great combination of sharpness and smoothness. Remember, the right blade can make all the difference in the world.

Thanks guys.
I've just ordered a pack of GSBs from Ebay.
Regards,
Renato

I've avoided the Merkur Futur. To me, it always looked like it was trying way too hard to be cool and novel. I've also read too many stories like this one. I think it's probably great for some people but way too much for the rest of us. That, and you can't shave under your nose!
I wish I'd read those stories!
Rather than being in one.
Cheers,
Renato

I wish I'd read those stories!
Rather than being in one.
Cheers,
Renato
Well, the good news is that the Futur has many true believers and you can probably sell it for a decent price. People like to collect all three finishes and might want yours. There are plenty of more traditional razors to try that will look great and shave in a way you expect.

Well, the good news is that the Futur has many true believers and you can probably sell it for a decent price. People like to collect all three finishes and might want yours. There are plenty of more traditional razors to try that will look great and shave in a way you expect.
True indeed, thanks.
But so far I have three suggestions given to me here to try before I give up entirely.
Possibly four, as I was thinking I might also try the least aggressive blades I own in it - Shark Stainless Steel.
Cheers,
Renato

I have a QShave clone of a Futur, and it behaves unlike any of my other DE razors. I have a mustache, so under the nose is no problem for me.
Sometimes it feels like a TTO that is not quite closed. The audio feedback is quite loud, which I like, now that I'm used to it.

Early on I sliced my thumb making a mid-shave setting change, when it slipped off the end of the cap. Now I simply lay the head on the edge of the sink and turn the handle.

It's turning out to be one of my favourites, but I don't think I'd recommend it as a starter razor. It has too many quirks.

I have tried many razors and I still have the Futur. It's a fact that not every razor will suit everyone and just cos it doesn't suit you doesn't meant it doesn't suit someone else.

Before I tried the BIC in my GC84 I was ready to sell them off but now it's a great razor.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I've been wet shaving for a little over a year, and rarely experience cuts/nicks. When I would shave with a Futur, even on the lowest setting, it was a given that I would get a nasty cut. I tried it multiple times, and ended up selling it. I just could not get it to work well for me.

worst cut I've ever had was from a Futur. Sliced my earlobe open bringing the thing to the back of my head and it took at least 5 minutes to get the blood to stop flowing. The shower looked like a scene from Psycho.

I would love to try a modern adjustable like the Futur. I put my Slim away for a long time because it seemed like it was giving a really rough shave. Changed my technique and now the Slim is my primary DE.

I don't own a real Futur, but do have two of the clones, which by all accounts shave very close, and find both give a great shave. My hunch is there may be two issues causing the 'bad' shaves.

I find my MingShi & QShave clones like a bit steeper angle, the handle a bit close to the face, and they they can bite if you apply too much pressure. If you ride the cap or use a shallower angle, they're more tolerant of a bit of added pressure, BUT (big BUT), you're more prone to nicking the ear lobe or nostrils with the edge of the blade, when pulling towards either one. - My caution is to watch when adjusting the setting, if slips, you end up getting a cut on your thumb. (Lessen learned and I either use a towel, or hold the short neck below the plate now).

The second thought is, the design seems to lend itself to a bit sharper blade, especially if you're going a bit shallower. The duller blade will pull up the skin, when it doesn't cut through easily or w/o resistance, and end up causing small nicks. That said, I should mention that I can't get a good shave out of a Derby blade in nearly any razor, they're simply not sharp enough for the coarse gray scruff on my face. With the exception of Derby, Voskhod, and maybe Bolzano, I can chock just about anything in either of mine and get a nice clean, close, and comfortable shave. I've used Wilkinson Sword (both German & Indian), Astra, MingShi (smooth blade btw), Rapira Super Platinum, GSB, Nacet, and Feathers and have received great shaves with them......I use setting 4 on my clones, however, the clone setting equates to around 1 setting lower on a genuine Futur, from what I've seen mentioned by others. (It's the bit of 'slop' or looseness in the parts, as the tolerances just aren't as close).

Very good razor. I own 2, one in the Matte finish and the other in Gold. Never an issue with either of them. I've used different blades in them with no problems but, I get the best performance from the Futur when I use Feathers, KAI's & Bolzano's. Extremely smooth and efficient feeling shaves....

I have a QShave clone of a Futur, and it behaves unlike any of my other DE razors. I have a mustache, so under the nose is no problem for me.
Sometimes it feels like a TTO that is not quite closed. The audio feedback is quite loud, which I like, now that I'm used to it.

Early on I sliced my thumb making a mid-shave setting change, when it slipped off the end of the cap. Now I simply lay the head on the edge of the sink and turn the handle.

It's turning out to be one of my favourites, but I don't think I'd recommend it as a starter razor. It has too many quirks.
Thanks. Out of idle curiosity I might buy one of these clones and compare. Might be less quirky than mine.
Cheers,
Renato

I have tried many razors and I still have the Futur. It's a fact that not every razor will suit everyone and just cos it doesn't suit you doesn't meant it doesn't suit someone else.

Before I tried the BIC in my GC84 I was ready to sell them off but now it's a great razor.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
Thanks - though I doubt I will ever become fond of the Futur.
Cheers,
Renato

My first DE was a futur clone by mingshi.

And I absolutely hate this piece of trash. I'm NEVER going to touch it again. EVER.
You feel about it the way I feel about my two shavettes.
Cheers,
Renato

I've been wet shaving for a little over a year, and rarely experience cuts/nicks. When I would shave with a Futur, even on the lowest setting, it was a given that I would get a nasty cut. I tried it multiple times, and ended up selling it. I just could not get it to work well for me.
That's really nasty, thanks. Luckily it's not as bad on me, though three or four bloody nicks per shave is too much for me.
Regards,
Renato

worst cut I've ever had was from a Futur. Sliced my earlobe open bringing the thing to the back of my head and it took at least 5 minutes to get the blood to stop flowing. The shower looked like a scene from Psycho.
Ouch. That was memorable - in a bad way.
Regards,
Renato

I would love to try a modern adjustable like the Futur. I put my Slim away for a long time because it seemed like it was giving a really rough shave. Changed my technique and now the Slim is my primary DE.
Interesting. My first DE razor was a Gillette Super Adjustable - I used it for years, never liked it and it sent me to using electric for decades. I might give it my five yearly try and see if I think it's better than what I remember.
Regards,
Renato

I don't own a real Futur, but do have two of the clones, which by all accounts shave very close, and find both give a great shave. My hunch is there may be two issues causing the 'bad' shaves.

I find my MingShi & QShave clones like a bit steeper angle, the handle a bit close to the face, and they they can bite if you apply too much pressure. If you ride the cap or use a shallower angle, they're more tolerant of a bit of added pressure, BUT (big BUT), you're more prone to nicking the ear lobe or nostrils with the edge of the blade, when pulling towards either one. - My caution is to watch when adjusting the setting, if slips, you end up getting a cut on your thumb. (Lessen learned and I either use a towel, or hold the short neck below the plate now).

The second thought is, the design seems to lend itself to a bit sharper blade, especially if you're going a bit shallower. The duller blade will pull up the skin, when it doesn't cut through easily or w/o resistance, and end up causing small nicks. That said, I should mention that I can't get a good shave out of a Derby blade in nearly any razor, they're simply not sharp enough for the coarse gray scruff on my face. With the exception of Derby, Voskhod, and maybe Bolzano, I can chock just about anything in either of mine and get a nice clean, close, and comfortable shave. I've used Wilkinson Sword (both German & Indian), Astra, MingShi (smooth blade btw), Rapira Super Platinum, GSB, Nacet, and Feathers and have received great shaves with them......I use setting 4 on my clones, however, the clone setting equates to around 1 setting lower on a genuine Futur, from what I've seen mentioned by others. (It's the bit of 'slop' or looseness in the parts, as the tolerances just aren't as close).

Thanks, your suggestion about the angle is similar to a few other suggestions I've received here.
I shall try that tomorrow with a Feather Blade instead of the Dorco I was using.
Only problem is - I've already put a good big nick in my middle finger as I was changing the blade.
Most unsafe "safety razor" I've ever come across.
Regards,
Renato

Very good razor. I own 2, one in the Matte finish and the other in Gold. Never an issue with either of them. I've used different blades in them with no problems but, I get the best performance from the Futur when I use Feathers, KAI's & Bolzano's. Extremely smooth and efficient feeling shaves....
Thanks, you give me some hope. Tomorrow I try the Feather.
Cheers,
Renato

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Fascinating thread. A Futura is a fairly expensive razor to buy and then come to hate.

I used to shave with an R41 on an almost-daily basis, alternating with a Ming Shi 2000s. At its most aggressive setting, and using an Astra green, the Ming Shi was far less aggressive than the R41. To me, it felt very mild, yet efficient.

Now that was a few years ago before I grew, and only recently shaved, a beard. Now, the R41 feels VERY dicey; in fact, my daily shaver post-beard is a very mild Oristo. Point is that I'm now curious to see how the Ming Shi behaves on my freshly shorn face. May take it for a test drive tomorrow, styptic pencil standing by.

Last night I used '60s Super Adjustable on settings 4 with GSB blade and got a BBS like shave

Yes, I've seen some positive comments about the Super Adjustable here over the years like yours. I was using it with extremely sharp Wilkinson Sword blades (which was about all that was available here back then) at a setting of 2 with canned lather, and I'd only start to like it after using the blade for a week when it stopped nicking me. I did try it with good creams in more recent times, when it's nick performance was better, but I preferred the non-adjustable closed combs.

I think the Futur is worse on me though.
Cheers,
Renato

Fascinating thread. A Futura is a fairly expensive razor to buy and then come to hate.

I used to shave with an R41 on an almost-daily basis, alternating with a Ming Shi 2000s. At its most aggressive setting, and using an Astra green, the Ming Shi was far less aggressive than the R41. To me, it felt very mild, yet efficient.

Now that was a few years ago before I grew, and only recently shaved, a beard. Now, the R41 feels VERY dicey; in fact, my daily shaver post-beard is a very mild Oristo. Point is that I'm now curious to see how the Ming Shi behaves on my freshly shorn face. May take it for a test drive tomorrow, styptic pencil standing by.

Th bigger the blade gap, the more aggressive. I've got six or seven Chinese razors, all but one of which have huge blade gaps. I haven't tried the R41 or Ming Shi though.

I'm sure a crystal deodorant stick/alum will suffice for your next shave. Styptic pencils work when alum fails, but they STING.
Cheers,
Renato

UPDATE:
Hi Everyone,
Well, I've just shaved again with the Futur incorporating all the helpful suggestions given here - shallower shaving angle, Feather blade, setting at 1, light touch - as well as shorter strokes while doing the suggestions.

Result was one tiny blood nick - but it was at a spot I regularly get it with other razors, so I won't hold that against the Futur. And significantly less micro-nicks were felt after applying the alum crystal deodorant stick.

Plainly, this was a significant improvement compared to my earlier shaves with it - though it took longer than what it would have taken with my regular Merkur, Jagger or Gillettes.

Still, this was pretty finicky stuff compared to my other razors. Not sure I will keep it - but then again I might.

Thanks again for all your assistance.
Regards,
Renato

I broke out my MingShi with a fresh Wilkinson Sword Classic (German) blade for the morning shave, leaving it set on it's previous setting of 4. Nice close and comfortable shave, no nicks, no apparent feedback from the witch-hazel or aftershave. - Once you're comfortable with it, it shouldn't really take any longer than other razors to shave. I'll go a tiny bit slower around the ears and nose just subconsciously, with the rather wide gap starring at me, otherwise no difference.

If you want to get a scare, watch Rich (Rich Man Shaving) shave with his, he just flings his Futur around, shallow angle, with quite a bit of pressure. The first time I watch, I was sure he was going to give himself one heck of a speeding ticket using it.

Top Bottom