What's new

I went back to using Boar Brushes

This was the other one I'm considering getting but since I don't have any barber handle brushes I thought I'd try a Razorock barber handle Plissoft. But that Sagrada sure does look sharp.

I love how it feels, performs and looks. It’s a cheap brush and certainly worth a try.

I’ve tried 1 boar (Em’s) and one synthetic (Whipped Dog). Both are good quality, but neither did it for me. The boar splayed way out, and the synth was too soft and required constant re-wetting So I use all kinds of badger brushes now.

Here’s a tip for boar users: Try a pure badger. They hold moisture, warmth and soap or cream, and they generate slick lather. Plus, the tips have just enough scritch that you know you’re brushing your face but without irritation—especially if your cream or soap lubricates well (examples: T&H or NB cream and Stirling sheep tallow soap).

An Omega mixed midget may be my next experiment, but I have too many brushes now.

I used a Omega 10098 today and man, is it a lather hog. Still trying to get the lather to last for three pass but it is tough. But, I do enjoy the broom-like feel on the face, contrary to popular opinions.

just curious, do you soak the brush for at least 5 minutes before using it?

Yup. Usually 15+ minutes soaking before use. I got a lot better lather today with it. Just started a bit wetter and that seemed to do the trick.

I have found that with boars in particular, damp is better than dripping when trying to load. One gentle squeeze and no problems. Sometimes a little trial & error gets you there :)

I start with my brush being soaking wet then I give them one good snap of the wrist and that seems to get out the excess water. It works with all types of brushes.

This is what I do. I just wish it didn't take 2 days for it to dry out.

If you shave every day, it doesn't hurt to have 2 boars, this way you can rotate them and give each one a full 48 hours to dry between uses. I am lucky enough to shave every other day. All my boars have broken in within a month of usage (15 uses). A broken in boar is a beautiful thing. :D

If you shave every day, it doesn't hurt to have 2 boars, this way you can rotate them and give each one a full 48 hours to dry between uses. I am lucky enough to shave every other day. All my boars have broken in within a month of usage (15 uses). A broken in boar is a beautiful thing. :D

When I first got mine, I washed it in Dawn and then lathered it up and left it like that for 24 hours. It feels really nice now.

I have a Stirling but thought about picking up an Omega as a second brush. The 10098 looks like a winner.

When I first got mine, I washed it in Dawn and then lathered it up and left it like that for 24 hours. It feels really nice now.

I have a Stirling but thought about picking up an Omega as a second brush. The 10098 looks like a winner.

Think of it as a backup, in case of an emergency :D

This is what I do. I just wish it didn't take 2 days for it to dry out.
Back before the internet we used our boar brushes daily and didn't worry about dry time. They performed and broke in just as well. Even when stored handle down sitting on the counter.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Back before the internet we used our boar brushes daily and didn't worry about dry time. They performed and broke in just as well. Even when stored handle down sitting on the counter.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
That's what I've been doing for the last 6 weeks or so. My previous boar I also used daily, but hung it bristles down. Of course I live in a very dry climate so YMMV.

Top Bottom