What's new

The Quest: DFS + 0 Irritation or Ingrown Hairs

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The 37C is no Fatip but its also not your typical Merkur baseplate design. Interesting...

The blade is supported more towards the edge than in the center like the typical EJ/Merkur/Muhle base.

View attachment 982283

View attachment 982284

The cap should clamp the blade pretty well to the base but the lather slot does leave the blade mostly unsupported at the edge. Add the blade being torqued, with the right blade in it, I can see it being a smooth shaver.
Until the Fatip Slant is released the Merkur 37c rules.

stock-photo-54652100-jpg.982266

Are you sure that's not a Double Duck Dbl Duck?

OMG. Maybe it is the fabled Fatip Slant (which I have in transit, but only you have received).

Joel, that's a great review of the razor, but it really can be summed up in the one statement (at least to those of us very familiar with the various Fatip models).

View attachment 982274

Not my photo, but a good illustration.

I know there are two versions of the Merkur slant. The other one has a longer handle and is, I think, heavier. If you get a chance and have a caliper would you measure the diameter of your Merkur slant for me? If no caliper would you compare it to a Fatip Grande handle or a Fatip Piccolo handle, or some other razor handles. I like handles fatter than the Piccolo. The Grande handle suits me but the Piccolo handle does not. I also wonder about which of the Merkur slants to buy?

I think I like the shorter handle better, but the longer handle also looks good.

View attachment 982273

Yeah, I know I'm using the straight exclusively, but I also sometimes think about doing a month of slants in September. I enjoyed it last time I did it. If Slantember rolls around I want to have in my arsenal a Fatip Slant (dream on) and probably a Merkur Slant.

You've made an excellent case for the razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

No calipers. Best approximation is that it is larger in diameter than the Schone.

The 37C is no Fatip but its also not your typical Merkur baseplate design. Interesting...

The blade is supported more towards the edge than in the center like the typical EJ/Merkur/Muhle base.

View attachment 982283

View attachment 982284

The cap should clamp the blade pretty well to the base but the lather slot does leave the blade mostly unsupported at the edge. Add the blade being torqued, with the right blade in it, I can see it being a smooth shaver.

I don't own a fatip testina gentile, but maybe I should get one to really compare them... I have some razors to sell off first. Not totally certain which ones yet. And not until I actually spend a week with each razor to put it through its paces. So not until this time next year more than likely. I'm settling into a good set of soaps and post shave products that I really enjoy. Oddly enough, I find myself using soap from one of three companies more often than not: Barrister and Mann, Sudsy Soapery, and Stirling. I still have my SV 70th anniversary, two Grooming Dept soaps (one of which makes my skin itch and my daughter may also hate the scent), and WK Pasha's Pride. I enjoy the scents for each of the soaps I have right now, but think I'll eventually pare my den down to a few less. The performance for most of them is also excellent. We are going to be moving again soon (hopefully won't have to move again for several years now) and I won't have as much room for my shave den. I find myself using my Bay Rum stuff almost exclusively these days, soap is from both SS and Stirling.

The 37c is really killing off my desire to use any other razors. I won't trim the den down yet. But I have no clue why I would use anything else really. It is so efficient and smooth. My skin is looking better and better. I ] don't see any of my other razors beating out the 37c, but I'll give them all a fair shake at convincing me. I've even added in the official brotherhood tag to my sig line for it... Razor monogamy is a weird thought. But maybe I'll be joining the likes of @Esox and @Tokyospike sometime soon. Time will tell, though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
But maybe I'll be joining the likes of @Esox and @Tokyospike sometime soon. Time will tell, though.

For maybe the last month I've been starting fresh GEM PTFE blades in my Bullet Tip for 4 shaves, then moving them to my MMOC for the next six or so.

I'm still thinking about an AC razor though...

It's not how I do most things, but it working and it is fun.

Lots of truth there.

Perfect is for beginners.

Very nice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I find I'm getting worse shaves when I'm chasing the perfect shave or kit. My best kit right now is as follows:

Any Stirling/Sudsy Soapery soap, B&M reserve fern, WK Pasha's Pride soap (so, any slick soap)
Merkur 37c
Perma sharp super blade (Turkish or Russian, doesn't seem to matter)
Dickinson's witch hazel then any aftershave followed by any balm

My skin will be raw and sore for a day or two whenever I switch from a foolhardy experiment with another razor and blade back to the 37c. This is usually due to the other experiment, not the 37c. After a few days with the 37c and perma sharp combo, my skin is back to the best it's ever looked. Then, I get bored and perform yet another foolhardy experiment. And again, I can't make it seven days and have to go back to the 37c/perma sharp combo.

Is this combo perfect? NO! I don't get a BBS. I can make myself bleed by chasing that baby. Can I get a very respectable DFS that borders on BBS most places without blood loss? Yep. And I frequently accomplish that.

If I go for perfect, I bleed and prove that I'm the fool. If I chase something better with another razor (most recently a Gillette slim that gave a fantastic first shave after 36 hours growth, then very poor 24 hour growth shaves) I regret it at some point and come back to the 37c.

I'm packing up to move again (last time for at least two years, hopefully closer to five). I'll keep two pucks of soap handy for variety, two aftershaves, a balm, my trusty 37c and my stack of perma sharps. The rest is going into moving boxes. We'll see what ends up coming out of the boxes in the future. I have a feeling if anything does, it'll be for nostalgia's sake and not a better shave.

I still can't believe this razor. The testina gentile is on the list to try out. Maybe it'll prove a worthy rival to the 37c. We shall see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

For maybe the last month I've been starting fresh GEM PTFE blades in my Bullet Tip for 4 shaves, then moving them to my MMOC for the next six or so.

I'm still thinking about an AC razor though...
Having used the major platforms, I can say that my preference is the injectors with Proline blades. The Chinese schicks are also good though. The wide blade is nice for the AC razors, but also a bit of a pain at times. I much prefer the narrower blade. I also like the feel better than the GEMs, but that is just me. I'm back on the DE kick right now due to something that I can't figure out: why the 37c shaves me so well. I actually think the blade torque does something for my whiskers due to the way they grow parallel to the skin. Otherwise, I can't explain it. The testina gentile is definitely in my future to prove that it isn't the closed comb guard style of safety bar causing the shave results. As far as I can tell it isn't, but who knows?

My opinion: you'd like the AC razors, Mike. Better than the MMOC? Maybe. I think they're much smoother than GEM blades, while retaining the efficiency (at least the Proline). I don't think there is as much difference between the General and the Hawk as I used to think. They're both excellent. I seemed to like the Hawk more as it handled more like an injector with its weight. The general was a tank. Maybe I'd like it better with a lighter handle. An experiment for another time. All that to say, try out one that catches your fancy and don't worry if it isn't the perfect one. It'll get your feet wet and allow you to decide if the blade is up your alley. It may not be. Then, you're only out the cost of the one razor. Up to you.

Enjoy the shaves!

Over the last few weeks, I have discovered that I can get a DFS in 1.5 passes using my Fatip Grande loaded with an Astra SP blade. I do a simple N-S pass with plenty of skin stretching. I then relather above my Adam's apple and go ear to chin on jaw and up neck. Then S-N on cheeks and top lip.

It's never 100% perfect. I can push it further. I can chase (and catch) the baby. It just isn't worth the irritation/weepers that are usually (not always) part of the end result!

The Hawk is certainly a razor that is very interesting! It gets excellent reviews for sure!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The 37c is really killing off my desire to use any other razors. I won't trim the den down yet. But I have no clue why I would use anything else really. It is so efficient and smooth. My skin is looking better and better. I don't see any of my other razors beating out the 37c, but I'll give them all a fair shake at convincing me.

Having used the major platforms, I can say that my preference is the injectors with Proline blades.

I'm confused, Joel. Which is it?

I mostly agree with what I think you're telling Mike about the AC razors. I have not had the opportunity to do a head to head comparison between my DLC SS Hawk, and my SS General, and my two ATT AC razors.

The more "aggressive" of the two ATT bases is definitely a different animal, but it can be tamed with a steep or design angle (neutral angle). The General and the less "aggressive" ATT base are rather similar. Sometimes I like one over the other, but not enough to write home about.

The Hawk came my way The Hawk flew into my shave den after the others had left for their still extended road trip (with Grant). It is my impression (without doing a head to head, but still) that the Hawk may very well be the best of the three. Not that they are not all very good and nice and useable razors.

I only used the GEM or E-R once which isn't a fair trail, but I wasn't in love with the blade. I too suspect Mike would really like the AC platform or the injectors.

As you know I'm only shaving with the straight razor, but I think the single edged AC platform and the single edged injectors have a lot in common. I think both are generally better than the DE razors. That is not me knocking the DE razors because I like some of them enough to think I might use them again. It's just that when it comes time to shave I grab a straight. In a huge hurry I'd grab my trusty Schick Type E-2 with a Chick.

I'm considering doing a month of slants in September, or a month with some slants interspersed with straights, but I'm not signing up just yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm confused, Joel. Which is it?

I mostly agree with what I think you're telling Mike about the AC razors. I have not had the opportunity to do a head to head comparison between my DLC SS Hawk, and my SS General, and my two ATT AC razors.

The more "aggressive" of the two ATT bases is definitely a different animal, but it can be tamed with a steep or design angle (neutral angle). The General and the less "aggressive" ATT base are rather similar. Sometimes I like one over the other, but not enough to write home about.

The Hawk came my way The Hawk flew into my shave den after the others had left for their still extended road trip (with Grant). It is my impression (without doing a head to head, but still) that the Hawk may very well be the best of the three. Not that they are not all very good and nice and useable razors.

I only used the GEM or E-R once which isn't a fair trail, but I wasn't in love with the blade. I too suspect Mike would really like the AC platform or the injectors.

As you know I'm only shaving with the straight razor, but I think the single edged AC platform and the single edged injectors have a lot in common. I think both are generally better than the DE razors. That is not me knocking the DE razors because I like some of them enough to think I might use them again. It's just that when it comes time to shave I grab a straight. In a huge hurry I'd grab my trusty Schick Type E-2 with a Chick.

I'm considering doing a month of slants in September, or a month with some slants interspersed with straights, but I'm not signing up just yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That should have read "major SE platforms". I'm enjoying the 37c more than my SEs. If I use the SE razors, give me a Proline. But I'm not using them much anymore. Used a twin and the M-3 last night and was disappointed. The 37c did a better job with a one pass shave than the M-3 did by a decent amount.

Hope that clarifies things. 37c is the current king of my shave den. I don't even know what to put underneath it at second. Maybe the I-1 with a Proline or Schick. For now, I'm packing up everything that isn't the 37c and I'll go from there in a month or two.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Any Stirling/Sudsy Soapery soap, B&M reserve fern, WK Pasha's Pride soap (so, any slick soap)

If you like Slick Joel, you might try Mama Bears. Its the slickest soap I've yet used.

My opinion: you'd like the AC razors, Mike. Better than the MMOC? Maybe.

The RR Hawk is still on my mind. Its the least expensive road for a test of the AC blades. Maybe one day I'll have a weak moment and order one.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That should have read "major SE platforms". I'm enjoying the 37c more than my SEs. If I use the SE razors, give me a Proline. But I'm not using them much anymore. Used a twin and the M-3 last night and was disappointed. The 37c did a better job with a one pass shave than the M-3 did by a decent amount.

Hope that clarifies things. 37c is the current king of my shave den. I don't even know what to put underneath it at second. Maybe the I-1 with a Proline or Schick. For now, I'm packing up everything that isn't the 37c and I'll go from there in a month or two.

I'm glad the 37c suits you so well, Joel. I may buy one sometime.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have used the German 37 by RazoRock before. Didn't have a lot of luck with it. It is a 3 piece "clone" of the merkur 37c. Merkur retooled the 37c recently, and it is now a bit less aggressive. Someone else's word, not mine. I think I have one from after the retooling, but the gent I bought it from got it secondhand, so he doesn't know either. I'm not going to get into a tizzy about it, as I find the shaves very comfortable. They're also relatively close. I'm getting a very good DFS most nights. I'm not getting a BBS most nights, which I get with my injectors, and I'm actually quite happy about that. It makes things much easier on my skin to not get quite so close. It is a long lasting DFS too. Over time, I expect I'll start getting a bbs but I'll be quite happy with what I'm getting now.

I gave myself what I thought was a pretty decent weeper last night. Decided to try it without any styptic and used my modification of bootleggers bay rum (1/3 master bay rum, 1/3 Gabels bay rum, 1/3 pinaud VIBR). This mix tends to make weepers bleed more. No bleeding after rinsing with cold water and applying witch hazel. Apply the modified bay rum spalsh, and got a pretty intense burn. Checked, no weepers flaring up yet. Weird. Applied the balm, and still no weepers. This razor/blade combo for some reason will occasionally cause a weeper or two, but these are easily controlled without styptic.

I can tell when I overshave with the 37c/perma sharp combo. I don't seem to pay for it like I do with other
... used my modification of bootleggers bay rum (1/3 master bay rum, 1/3 Gabels bay rum, 1/3 pinaud VIBR). This mix tends to make weepers bleed more. No bleeding after rinsing with cold water and applying witch hazel. Apply the modified bay rum splash, and got a pretty intense burn...

I'm very interested in this modified Bootlegger's mix. I was thinking about trying this myself. How is the scent?

Thanks in advance.

I'm very interested in this modified Bootlegger's mix. I was thinking about trying this myself. How is the scent?

Thanks in advance.

I personally prefer my 50:50 mix of Master's and Gabel's to the modified bootlegger's. The scent with the modified bootlegger's is quite similar to bootlegger's: decent bay oil initially that goes away shortly after you apply (maybe lasts up to 30 minutes) and then gets taken over by some of the clove and spices of the Pinaud VIBR. The Gabel's seems to last longer with just the Master's. I get a very pure bay oil scent with the 50:50 mix that lasts for a few hours. Not as long as the VIBR will last, but I prefer that scent profile. You can also buy a gallon of Gabel's for about $30 or so. I also much prefer the skin feel of the 50:50. The VIBR seems to dry my face out more, and more master's means more glycerin which keeps the moisture at the skin level better. Hope that helps ya!

Top Bottom