What's new

Carts vs DE Razors - Pros and cons of both

People get ingrown hairs with carts, disposables, SE, DE, SR. YMMV, I was lucky enough to switch to DE which gives me no ingrown hairs or irritation(unless i shave very fast and recklessly). I think the flaw in my case of the carts is that they get TOO close, since they have to pull the hair under the skin to cut it. If you are lucky enough to not get any ingrown hairs from carts then it's definitely more effective than a DE also the "carts are too expensive" argument is kinda not true anymore. Many companies have surfaced over the years providing cheap carts. YMMV as always.

Ingrown hairs is a common complaint in the Shave Clinic. Multiblade cartridges do indeed pull the hair, and if you shave quickly, can result in a super close shave. I've had a few ingrown hairs over the years, but since I had a beard from 1977 to 2005, they were fairly rare. No "scientific" studies, not that most of what passes for "science" these days is actually science. Misapplication of statistical analysis drives me nuts.

Pivoting cartridges definitely require less skill to use comfortably, but I greatly prefer the shave from a DE.

People get ingrown hairs with carts, disposables, SE, DE, SR. YMMV, I was lucky enough to switch to DE which gives me no ingrown hairs or irritation(unless i shave very fast and recklessly). I think the flaw in my case of the carts is that they get TOO close, since they have to pull the hair under the skin to cut it. If you are lucky enough to not get any ingrown hairs from carts then it's definitely more effective than a DE also the "carts are too expensive" argument is kinda not true anymore. Many companies have surfaced over the years providing cheap carts. YMMV as always.

I think the real caution with cartridge razors is attempting to use them to shave ATG. If you are only shaving WTG, you can probably do OK, but a full three-pass shave with a cart is probably asking for trouble.

I have shaved ATG since 1976 with every razor I've used, including multi-blade cartridges. Just have to learn how. WTG is the equivalent of leaving the blade out for me.

Ingrown hairs is a common complaint in the Shave Clinic. Multiblade cartridges do indeed pull the hair, and if you shave quickly, can result in a super close shave. I've had a few ingrown hairs over the years, but since I had a beard from 1977 to 2005, they were fairly rare. No "scientific" studies, not that most of what passes for "science" these days is actually science. Misapplication of statistical analysis drives me nuts.

Pivoting cartridges definitely require less skill to use comfortably, but I greatly prefer the shave from a DE.
Oh, so no Dermatology certificate on the wall. I thought you were an expert.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Fact: DE blades are cheaper than cartridges. Simple math, very easy to compare. Even a small child could figure that out.

Fact: You don’t need a DE to use expensive brushes, soaps, and aftershave.

Fact: Cartridges are allowed in carry-on luggage. Additional fact: Bic makes a single blade disposable razor in the form of a cartridge with the handle included (my favorite travel razor).

YMMV = just about everything else.

My opinions:

The two blade Schick FX Diamond was the best cartridge ever made. I got excellent shaves with it and no razor burn doing a two pass WTG & ATG. The originals lasted about a month per cartridge.

Three or more blades isn’t really adding anything to the shave other than more money.

It’s easier to make clean edges around sideburns and facial hair with a DE/SE than with a multi blade cartridge.

I have many more opinions, but that’s enough for now.

I was thinking of a thread debunking (or confirming) myths on both sides of the 'shaving fence'. For instance - myth that carts cause more irritation and ingrowns - and if that's not true but you see it as a talking point by DE evangelists, you point it out.

Let me start:

Carts myth:
It takes a lot less time to shave. - In my case, only five minutes difference between DE and carts, as it takes time to spread the canned goo all over the face and takes a lot more rinsing.

DE myth:
A money saver on the long run. - In my case, false, as it only got me interested in shaving and I wound up spending way too much dinero on it.

Continue...
Well, I used a cart today, because I had a whopping great zit on my upper lip, and was I was I going to shave it with good gear, and spread the Staphyllococci all over my face?

No, I don't think so.

I used a "disposable" for that bit (which would be fine for 10 more shaves, if shoved in boiling water).

What to use, meanwhile, to tidy up the rest of the face? I used the M3 that was lying around, and it did a surprisingly good job.

I'm pragmatic about what I use. Preferred thing = Rockwell 6C, but you have to pick your tool realistically.

DE shaving should be better for your skin as well. Goop usually contains all sorts of stuff.

Never understood this crazy "disassociation" between a DE and canned foam.
Men have been shaving with DEs and canned foam since the early fifties ,by the mid 50s canned foam had 80% of the market,with zero problems.

Than came the "internets" with all kind of bull about how "bad" canned foam is...

"Goop" contains the exact same "short of stuff" with soap (talking about a huge myth that canned foam is more "chemical" than soap)

I have been shaving with a DE and canned foam since 1980.

Last edited:
The biggest myth is that a modern razor (cart or disposable) gives you a faster shave.
It simply doesn't.
I need less than 5 minutes for a 4 pass BBS shave with a DE (I only use canned foam) and 7 minutes with a modern razor since it clogs and requires constant rinsing.It is also less efficient,the DE simply "cuts" better.
That's the reason why I never switched to carts or disposables and only use them when I travel .

The biggest myth is that a modern razor (cart or disposable) gives you a faster shave.
It simply doesn't.
I need less than 5 minutes for a 4 pass BBS shave with a DE (I only use canned foam) and 7 minutes with a modern razor since it clogs and requires constant rinsing.It is also less efficient,the DE simply "cuts" better.
That's the reason why I never switched to carts or disposables and only use them when I travel .
It's a good job you don't have diabetic neuropathy or arthritis. You are you, not everyone is a clone of you. I know some guys that take 45 minutes to shave with a DE.

It's a good job you don't have diabetic neuropathy or arthritis. You are you, not everyone is a clone of you. I know some guys that take 45 minutes to shave with a DE.

I thought this was a shaving forum,not a medical one ...severely handicapped people have "limitations & difficulties" in all the aspects of their life, not only shaving, and can't be "used" as a "shaving" benchmark.

45 minutes for a shave?

Ridiculous (if you aren't severely handicapped) .

Men have been shaving with DEs and canned foam since the early fifties ,by the mid 50s canned foam had 80% of the market,with zero problems.

Than came the "internets" with all kind of bull about how "bad" canned foam is...

"Goop" contains the exact same "short of stuff" with soap (talking about a huge myth that canned foam is more "chemical" than soap)

Gillette Foam ingredients:
WATER/EAU, STEARIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ISOBUTANE, LAURETH-23, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, PROPANE, FRAGRANCE/PARFUM, BHT.

Gillette Gel ingredients:
WATER/EAU, PALMITIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ISOPENTANE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, STEARIC ACID, FRAGRANCE/PARFUM, ISOBUTANE, SORBITOL, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, PEG-90M, PEG-23M, BLUE 1.

If we start to look at the chemicals in the those ingredients listed above, the first one i investigate (TRIETHANOLAMINE) or TEA shows up this warning:

According to Cosmetic Ingredient Review, Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics, and the U.S. National Library of Medicine, there is strong evidence that Triethanolamine is a human skin, immune system and respiratory toxicant. One or more animal studies show sense organ effects at very low doses, especially when used around the mouth, eyes and lips, and one or more in vitro tests on mammalian cells show positive mutation results. It has been shown to cause bladder and liver cancer, as well as changes in testicles.

I didn't bother looking at any other ingredients. The first one looks dire enough.

Be careful what you shave with.

It simply doesn't.
The average cartridge shaver isn't looking for a BBS and only does 1 pass. For 1 pass only, a cartridge >>> DE

I thought this was a shaving forum,not a medical one ...severely handicapped people have "limitations & difficulties" in all the aspects of their life, not only shaving, and can't be "used" as a "shaving" benchmark.

45 minutes for a shave?

Ridiculous (if you aren't severely handicapped) .
Diabetes or arthritis are common conditions not severe handicaps. And strangely I have read that individuals enjoy the long slow zen like shave experience that a DE provides over the quick and easy cart shave.

Carts are really uncomfortable to use and expensive. A 100 pack of DE blades can last for at least a year.

Think about how few carts you can buy with that money. I got into DE shaving to get a comfortable shave and save money. And I have so far.

I shaved with carts and canned goo for 40 years and got good results. Shaving was a 5 min chore every morning. I now enjoy a luxurious relaxing de shave every morning, sometimes taking 30 minutes or more. What was once a chore, is now a pleasurable hobby. The collection of stuff was not expensive considering my other hobbies. My new hobby doesn't make a dent in the family expenses, and SWMBO likes the results. She even likes the scent of Arko!
My brother had some recurring skin problems caused by shaving. He now uses a brush, maca root cream, and his favourite cart. His skin problems disappeared in a week and never came back.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Exactly. The equipment used has nothing to do with ones lathering choice.

I used the opposite approach and started using soap and a brush while shaving with a double bladed cartridge. It just worked better for me and didn’t clog the cartridge.

What I love about DE: no matter how many days I haven't shaved I know my DE will mow it all down. Meanwhile a cart user has to trim first with an electric to do so or suffer through intense clogging.

Top Bottom