What's new

The AS-D2 is truly a great razor.

B20C46EF-247E-4A73-8C95-91FE64A357A2.jpeg

Attachments

• 7EC8A0F1-55D7-4A87-ABEB-AA7A667BF237.jpeg
    7EC8A0F1-55D7-4A87-ABEB-AA7A667BF237.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
I would like to see pictures of a rusted up feather as d2. I've never seen or heard of a quality stainless razor getting significant rust. A little surface staining is possible. But I didn't think significant rust was.....

I've always wanted to try the AS D2 but the cost has always been a deterrent. Although there seems to be a sense of "mild razors aren't manly" on the forum, some of us don't need or want something super aggressive--that's why adjustables and mild to aggressive razors are all sold. I much prefer a DFS with no irritation to a BBS but red neck shave. I get that some people can shave with an axe head and never get irritation, but that's not me.

The myth refuses to die re stainless is "rustless". It's not and never has been. It just takes a little more time to rust than carbon steel. These photos should ram that home.

No stainless isn't rustless or completely rust free. But the good quality stuff just never rusts through to the point of failure like a base metal. BIG difference. I'm betting that AS D2 would clean up just fine with some toothpaste and or polishing compound and a toothbrush. A base metal/zamak razor would be totally destroyed under the same circumstances that AS D2 was put in.

i used it, didn't clean it, left it with the razor inside, i placed it in a spot where water periodically splashed on itView attachment 989058 View attachment 989059 View attachment 989059im gonna give this one away and get a new one. this is my base razor i compare all other razors too.

If you want to sell it for a reasonable price I'm interested. I think I could make it look fine again with a little effort. I'd take a 2nd as a travel razor.

The myth refuses to die re stainless is "rustless". It's not and never has been. It just takes a little more time to rust than carbon steel. These photos should ram that home.
even though it looked nasty i did shave with it a few times like that, just the upper cheeks though and lower neck to line beard.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I agree, they are beautifully made and very durable! One you should be able to enjoy forever. The price point these days is a pretty decent bargain.
+1. When I first joined B&B, these were among the most expensive DE razors out there (as best I recall). That was only eight years ago, and SS razors were relatively rare. Things have sure changed!

Not only is it stainless steel, but it also has a thin protective layer of chrome on it.

No doubt that razor would clean up and be just fine.

And yes, I'm aware that stainless steel can and does rust. The AS-D2 is one of the least likely razors to be seriously damaged by rust.

...I'm betting that AS D2 would clean up just fine with some toothpaste and or polishing compound and a toothbrush. A base metal/zamak razor would be totally destroyed under the same circumstances that AS D2 was put in.

+1! Yep! Well worth investing a bit of time on the cleanup.

im not really into salvaging things. im gonna invest in another one and take care of it better. the rusty one. i tried to restore it with a dremel but i failed. i gave it to someone on here im sure they gonna salvage it and hopefully post before and after pix of it

im not really into salvaging things. im gonna invest in another one and take care of it better. the rusty one. i tried to restore it with a dremel but i failed. i gave it to someone on here im sure they gonna salvage it and hopefully post before and after pix of it

With a dremel? I've never heard of anyone using a dremel on a razor. Was that before or after the pictures you posted?

Top Bottom