What's new

No more Voskods for me

I have not tried the Silver Star or Timor blades, so I cannot comment on them.
These blades for me are just right in everything from a Gillette Tech to an r41 due to them being both sharp and smooth:

1. Polsilver
2. Gillette Platinum
3. Gillette Yellow
4. Silver Star
5. Timor
I just finished up a tuck of Silver Stars and get 4 very nice shave from each blade. Definitely one of Lord's nicest blades.

Gentlemen, after so many ounces of Dos Equis Amber that I can no longer adequately estimate, it is my informed logical decision that defenders of the Voskhod "Spanish Inquisition DE blade" fall into two categories. First, the guys under 30 whose beard stubble assumes the consistency of boiled spaghetti noodles in the presence of a Santa Anna wind.

Second, paid shills in the employ of the KGB. Er, whatever it is they call themselves now. Popular history has it that Trotsky was murdered in Mexico City with an icepick. This is incorrect. He died of shock...from shaving with a Voskhod in a cheap Soviet copy of a Gillette Tech.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Gentlemen, after so many ounces of Dos Equis Amber that I can no longer adequately estimate, it is my informed logical decision that defenders of the Voskhod "Spanish Inquisition DE blade" fall into two categories. First, the guys under 30 whose beard stubble assumes the consistency of boiled spaghetti noodles in the presence of a Santa Anna wind.

Second, paid shills in the employ of the KGB. Er, whatever it is they call themselves now. Popular history has it that Trotsky was murdered in Mexico City with an icepick. This is incorrect. He died of shock...from shaving with a Voskhod in a cheap Soviet copy of a Gillette Tech.
:thumbsup: I checked this post for Dos Equis fueled media bias and it came back neutral with a very high level of factual reporting. Another words: Nailed it!!! :punk:

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I will let Voskod's production manager know. They may want to shorten the work week or hours to absorb the loss ;)

In all seriousness, I don't understand why in a YMMV type of situation, AND THIS IS, why others would say you are wrong.

For the record, I don't like Feather blades all that much.

I'm 35.

proxy.php

I've never had that tugging experience with a first use Voshkod blade whether in my Gillette Adjustable Slim, Super Speed, Gillette OCs or in my Charcoal Goods.
I'm also not fancy with shaving creams and Voshkod can give me a nice shave with Rite Aid shaving foam, Neutrogena or Svoboda creams.
Maybe, that's the reason I've never shifted to other blades because why try to fix something that's not broken.
:001_smile

Did a late night shave this evening. Prep was several rinsings, and a splash of Lectric Shave.

I selected my Parker Variant and a new Voskhod blade on a very aggressive setting. Cream was Proraso blue.

Two swipes and I was done with it. Horrible dragging tugginess. Very uncomfortable. Was this even intended to be a cutting implement?

Loaded an Astra SP into my Game Changer and proceeded to have a very nice, smooth shave. I have several tucks of Voskhod left, destined to be curios in an antique store 50 years from now.

I know...this is the part where somebody says that once you wear off the coating, it gets better. No thanks. A blade should work properly on Day One. I'm not messing with these things again.
You're not alone.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's all I can get from these blades. The first shave is excellent, the second good, and the third is horrible.

Thats exactly how they performed for me. Great first shave. Gillette Yellow smooth and sharp. The second shave was harsher, the third almost unbearably harsh. On the fourth shave though they smoothed right out completely and stayed like that for several more shaves.

I've read about a few Russian shavers that use them, but only after slicing up a sheet of paper to remove that top coating layer then they use a single blade for many shaves.

Thats exactly how they performed for me. Great first shave. Gillette Yellow smooth and sharp. The second shave was harsher, the third almost unbearably harsh. On the fourth shave though they smoothed right out completely and stayed like that for several more shaves.

I've read about a few Russian shavers that use them, but only after slicing up a sheet of paper to remove that top coating layer then they use a single blade for many shaves.

Interesting. I've never used them beyond 3 shaves. Will give this a test.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

^^^Beware^^^ Be very aware. These thoughts come from the darkest recesses of Mike's mind where he keeps hidden all the rusty carbon blades. He is also known to openly prefer to shave with a duck that can't quack (MMOC). Beware be very aware.

2da.gif

Okay, I'll have another go. Tonight. A Voskhod. I'll even try it the "Russian" way. I'll slice some notebook paper with the edges prior. And my prep will be above reproach.

Then we'll see.

@Ashley Bummer they didn't work out for you. I tried Voskhods for the first time just a few weeks ago and I loved them in a WCS 110s OC and in a Baili BR179. They were crazy smooth for me. I'll try them again tomorrow morning - for science and research's sake of course!

Voskhods are the worst blades i've used, they are so smooth that it interferes with the actual sharpness and starts getting tuggy

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
^^^Beware^^^ Be very aware. These thoughts come from the darkest recesses of Mike's mind where he keeps hidden all the rusty carbon blades. He is also known to openly prefer to shave with a duck that can't quack (MMOC). Beware be very aware.

7e8f49662e4770ebf6ce710b9eb5ae60.jpg

The MMOC lit the way. It shines so brightly all my other razors bow in awe at its greatness lol.

One does need to be aware however, very aware, when using one.

I believe with Voskhod blades the top coating flakes off easily and thats what leads to the rough shave. Slicing up a sheet of paper should remove that top fragile coating layer and I'll be curious to hear about your experience after trying that.

GSB is my Nemesis but many really like them. I think its the same idea, only more pronounced in my case. The first shave with a GSB is, literally, a bloodbath. A rough, harsh, tuggy, painful bloodbath. The second shave is better and the third better again but if the first shave is that bad, why use them in the first place.

The first shave with a Voskhod was so nice for me it was worth shaving through the harsher 2nd and 3rd shaves to see what happened with them.

I've been saying for quite a while now that DE blades need to be matched to the hair composition of the one using them. The right blades should not tug, should not feel rough or harsh and they should slip through the hair and glide along the skin while barely being felt. Match the blade to you, not the razor.

My hair composition starts destroying the top coating layer on GSB's on contact. On Voskhods it happens, but it happens slower. With my best blades, it doesnt happen at all and they work great in virtually all of my DE's.

Top Bottom