What's new

Old Record Succe razor

I went down to the flea market again to look at, and buy, a complete travel kit for 5 Euros.
The travel kit looks to be from the 50's and is complete with mirror, soap, brush, soap cup for regular soap and a razor.
The brush look pretty nice and the soap smells like, a soap with not too much perfume.
Is there anyone here who knows something about the old Record Succe?
I think I heard about this razor before and it may happen that it is Swedish, but I don't know.
As you can see from the pictures, the kit is in pretty good condition for 5 Euros
IMG_20190609_135731.jpg IMG_20190609_135755.jpg IMG_20190609_135920.jpg IMG_20190609_135952.jpg IMG_20190609_141603.jpg

I have no info for you. Just wanted to say cool find, and I would have picked it up too. Be sure to let us know how it shaves. Congrats and enjoy! :clap:

Thanks guys!

I will try it on monday.
And for your information, the brush is marked Clipper and "Äkta Borst"
Clipper is probably the brand and "Äkta Borst" in Swedish means "Pure Bristle" and it really have a nice feel to it :)
Looking forward to monday so I can test both the razor and the brush, after a thourogh cleaning of course

The green tint is most likely Verdigris from the brass tube. If your water runs through copper pipes it's already in your water any way. Whatever it is it's only on the surface. Some guys scrape the outside before using I just wash it off well. I've used soap from around the 20s or 30s and it's still good.
P1070362(r1rs).jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Enjoy those flea markets -- I can remember when the USA had flea markets where you could find something like that....now it's all stuff that "fell off the truck" on the way to the Dollar store.

In any case, there are 4 entries in Waits' Compendium for a "Record" razor company; but no mention of Succe as either a company or model/brand. Three of the companies were German and 1 was Swedish. Two of the German companies produced "Gillette type razor sets", but Waits' doesn't give any dates. The Swedish produced "safety razors and blades", and the company filed a trademark in Sweden in 1945 and one in the US in 1948 -- so the timing looks closer to your set. Typically the Swedish company used a trademarked symbol of Diana the huntress, so this may be a false path. Here's the excerpt of what Waits' had to say....hope it's helpful.
WaitsCompendiumRecord.jpg

Enjoy those flea markets -- I can remember when the USA had flea markets where you could find something like that....now it's all stuff that "fell off the truck" on the way to the Dollar store.

In any case, there are 4 entries in Waits' Compendium for a "Record" razor company; but no mention of Succe as either a company or model/brand. Three of the companies were German and 1 was Swedish. Two of the German companies produced "Gillette type razor sets", but Waits' doesn't give any dates. The Swedish produced "safety razors and blades", and the company filed a trademark in Sweden in 1945 and one in the US in 1948 -- so the timing looks closer to your set. Typically the Swedish company used a trademarked symbol of Diana the huntress, so this may be a false path. Here's the excerpt of what Waits' had to say....hope it's helpful.
View attachment 988951

I found a little bit of information on my razor.
Seems to be a Swedish Record Succe från ca 1946.
Manufactured by "Svenska Rakbladsfabriken" in Grästorp.
The razor in the lower left corner looks like my razor and is also called "Succe".

62141728_2466001460097998_6748085751700783104_n.jpg

Today I shaved with my new (old) Record Succe :)

First of all, it's a really mild razor, yet quite efficient.
It feels more mild and gentle than Popular but it provides a smoother and more efficient shave.
The safety bar feels really sturdy and the razor gave very little audio feedback.
I loaded it with a Gillette Nacet blade and put some Arko Cool Shaving Creme on my brush and lathered up.
First pass was really smooth, it felt like it didn't cut through any of my 48 hour stubble.
But when I rinsed before my second pass I could feel it was a pretty good first pass.
Second and third pass, XTG and ATG, gave me a DFS with just a hint of stubble left on my jawline and upper lip.

I don't think I will use this razor on a regular basis but it's a cool razor and I love the whole kit that came with it.

Top Bottom