What's new

RR GC IS IT SPECIAL ??

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I just shaved for the first time with my new 84. Brand new Nacet and Oleo Irving Park products. It was pretty easygoing and produced a very fine shave. I like how there is no blade edge sticking out, and the quality of the machining seems wonderful given the price. It did not seem aggressive or touchy to me at all, in fact it seemed like a very cooperative and even gentle razor. I usually shave with straights, although I often use a variety of DE razors when I am pressed for time. I am happy with it.

Thinking about getting a GC .68 but not sure it'll be aggressive enough.

My two points of reference are:
- I usually use my Rockwell 6s on plate # 4. # 3 seems too mild (although OK with a Feather). # 5 is OK but I don't love it on my neck.
- I have a 34C but rarely use it because it's a bit too mild for my taste. I consider it would be equivalent to a Rockwell 3.5, if such a thing existed.

I'm not looking for an r41 type of experience, I like "mid", Goldilocks razors, not too mild and not too aggressive.

Thoughts on whether the GC would be appropriate?

Last edited:
The .68 would likely be too mild for you (though I enjoy it’s daily BBS shaves very much). You’d have a hard time finding one anyway.

You might consider the .84 instead. Should be smooth still, with more blade feel and efficiency.

The .68 would likely be too mild for you (though I enjoy it’s daily BBS shaves very much). You’d have a hard time finding one anyway.

You might consider the .84 instead. Should be smooth still, with more blade feel and efficiency.

+1

I don't find the difference between the GC .68 and the 34c to be significant. It's a bit more efficient. I don't own the Rockwell so I cannot compare to that.

Thinking about getting a GC .68 but not sure it'll be aggressive enough.

My two points of reference are:
- I usually use my Rockwell 6s on plate # 4. # 3 seems too mild (although OK with a Feather). # 5 is OK but I don't love it on my neck.
- I have a 34C but rarely use it because it's a bit too mild for my taste. I consider it would be equivalent to a Rockwell 3.5, if such a thing existed.

I'm not looking for an r41 type of experience, I like "mid", Goldilocks razors, not too mild and not too aggressive.

Thoughts on whether the GC would be appropriate?

try the timeless bronze .78 gap

The GC 84 I enjoyed more than the original. The original was a rougher shave than the Mamba without being more efficient. The GC 84 smoothed out the shave and added efficiency. The Mamba was a great shaver that was so smooth, you had to check if a blade was loaded when you started your shave. The Mamba 70 retained that quality while increasing efficiency significantly. Both GC 84 and Mamba 70 are great shavers. If you want to "feel the razor doing it's work" go with the GC 84. If you want a "phantom shave", the Mamba 70 is for you.

+1! Good advice!

I find the .68 to be similar to the 6S on #4, but more efficient and with better blade rigidity. The .68 is a bit more aggressive/efficient than the 34C and shaves appreciably closer. I think the .68 is about as good as a daily driver as you’ll find (for me, at least). .84 is also an excellent razor, just more of a multi day growth shaver for me. YMMV.

I find the .68 to be similar to the 6S on #4, but more efficient and with better blade rigidity. The .68 is a bit more aggressive/efficient than the 34C and shaves appreciably closer. I think the .68 is about as good as a daily driver as you’ll find (for me, at least). .84 is also an excellent razor, just more of a multi day growth shaver for me. YMMV.

Exactly. Same for me. The GCs are great ATG.

I like to use my Rockwell 6S on R4 and R5.
Unfortunately I must sold both GC, the GC .68 was not efficient enough, and I really didn‘t like the GC .84 on the neck, ymmv.

I now have a lot of experience using the 6S with plates 3 and 4, the GC .68 and .84, and the 34C. In fact, these are the razors I have used the most over the last few years. I pretty much agree with this evaluation in every respect, except I give the edge (forgive the pun) to the 6S on plate 4 to the GC .68 due to its supreme smoothness. The extra blade rigidity of the GC means you need a very light touch, especially shaving over bumps and crevices on your face and neck, though this is less so of the .68 than the .84. I find the 6S is easier to use and has just enough blade rigidity to avoid the chattering problem you can have with the 34C if you aren't careful. I think the 34C is a great design but it dates back to the days when blades were thicker and more rigid. To be fair, I haven't tried shims, but that's just too complicated for me.

I now have a lot of experience using the 6S with plates 3 and 4, the GC .68 and .84, and the 34C. In fact, these are the razors I have used the most over the last few years. I pretty much agree with this evaluation in every respect, except I give the edge (forgive the pun) to the 6S on plate 4 to the GC .68 due to its supreme smoothness. The extra blade rigidity of the GC means you need a very light touch, especially shaving over bumps and crevices on your face and neck, though this is less so of the .68 than the .84. I find the 6S is easier to use and has just enough blade rigidity to avoid the chattering problem you can have with the 34C if you aren't careful. I think the 34C is a great design but it dates back to the days when blades were thicker and more rigid. To be fair, I haven't tried shims, but that's just too complicated for me.
Nice feedback

What game changer should I get? I find I like a old flair tip Gillette 34C they don’t leave my face burning and bleeding but they also do shave very close. The alu H1 does pretty good. The best I have is probably V1 one blade. So what is the best one to get?

I have a Game Changer .84 that I'd like to trade for a Game Changer .68. (Or a Mamba .70 head)
The GC .84 is a great, smooth shaver and will effortlessly and comfortably mow down several days growth. I have somewhat sensitive skin. After 2-3 days growth I can shave with the GC .84 and have no irritation. Day 2 is OK too but once I get to days 3, 4, 5+ I start getting a bit of irritation even with a very light touch. It's kind of a cumulative effect that builds with each successive day. For me, the GC .84 is a bit much as a daily shaver. For me it's more of an every other day shaver. If I had to put a label on it I would put it at the high end of the moderately aggressive scale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom