What's new

How long can cigars be kept in a humidor?

I smoke cigars rarely (perhaps four times a year) but I would like to get a humidor so I know I have a supply of good quality cigars. However, I am worried that considering how rarely I smoke, there is a chance they will not 'keep'?
Any advice?

Properly humidified almost indefinitely, and for a certain amount of time the cigars will age and get better, however after about ten years they tend to start losing the oils in the leaf that gives them flavor and they begin to taste a bit flat...I have domestic and cuban cigars in my humidors that have been there about five years and are just starting to come into their own...especially the cubans...they generally need to age at least a year before ssmoking them if you buy them fresh as the Cubans don't age the leaf before rolling it and all the domestic cigar makers usually do...

Cigar are much better when aged, but, different cigars will peak at different times. I find that after about 25 year most cigars start to go downhill slowly. Obviously, YMMV.

Fantastic. I just wanted to confirm before I took the plunge and invested in a humidor.

Fantastic. I just wanted to confirm before I took the plunge and invested in a humidor.

But don't ignore them. Keep an eye on the temp/humidity, and open the lid and move them around a bit to let a little fresh air circulate.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I was going to say that you might be talking about more maintenance than you want for four sticks a year. But . . . I've found if I have cigars around they call to me. Something like the Shmoo from the Li'l Abner cartoons.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I find all my really old cigars, maybe 17 years old, all smell the same to me prelight, as if they all melded together. I’ll have to smoke on to see.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Brendan:
I agree with many here...in a 'well-maintained' humidor...indefinitely. :thumbsup:

BTW, from where I source my cigars, they on average already have at least 2-4yrs age as indicated by their Factory Box Codes. So, for me...that's plenty enough aging.

Also, I'll admit that aged cigars 'mellow' (in strength and character), and blend their qualities resulting in subtle complexities (i.e., draw, aroma, burn and flavor). I find that a few years aging makes a smoother, more pleasant, 'rounder' cigar!
proxy.php

Humidors.jpg
"A cigar in the humidor is worth two in the bush"! Unknown Author

PS I do have three (3) 'dress boxes' (9 cigars), of Partagas Culebras (5⅜in x 39 - Box Code May 17), that I'm going to further 'age' and enjoy these (with two [2] other dear friends), cigars on News Year Eve 20-23 respective. :drool:

They still have high end pre-embargo Cuban cigars aging perfectly in humidors! Right temperature, humidity, lighting, etc and they will only get better with time!

Vr

Matt

Boveda packs work best for me, and I highly recommend hardwood humidors. I never understood why gents buy particle board made in China humidors that don’t maintain humidity, and then fill them with expensive cigars.

For me it is Boveda Packs and hardwood for my mini aging vaults! Another option is a Pelican 1060 Micro case which is outstanding...and 20 bucks off of Amazon!

Vr

Matt

There was a story about cigars found in a basement in Ireland that had cigars that were in perfect condition. These cigars were supposedly made in the 1800's. The Wall Street Journal did an article about it here but you need a subscription to read the whole article. They were sold at Christie's for a fortune. Yeah, cigars will keep providing the right conditions.

The Carona cigar lounge in Orlando has a large humidor full of "pre-embargo" Cubans. That would make them about 60 years old.

Top Bottom