What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

Shave #8 game changer??

AMACK game changer
ARCO stick
Gillette Tech

Sorry folks no picture! I was kind of in the middle of my shave on this one when I realized I did not have my phone. Anyways I went with the ARCO stick straight to the face and did a face lather this time. The handle on this brush was nice, had a good feel. The knot was soft but did not fan out as much as I would have liked. Instead when I applied pressure it kind of just bent over if that makes sense. I worked with it and eventually got a decent lather kind of thin though. Surprisingly this two pass shave was one of the smoothest yet out if this bunch. Maybe the technique I guess. Until next time!

20190520_202108.jpg

Attachments

• 20190520_194949.jpg
    20190520_194949.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 7
Shave #9 simple but good

L 'Occitane Pliison
St James Black Pepper & Lime
Gillette Super Speed

Another good little brush. This one was very well rounded in terms of performance. Made a great lather, spread out very well on the face. Not too soft, but not too stiff either. It felt really good working the lather into my face. The handle felt good (maybe a touch too small). Also I am not sure how long the brush has been around but there is a bubble in the finish on the handle. Could bw a design flaw. I was very happy with this shave. I did have a tiny slip of the razor (the wrong way) Ouch! But it wasn't too bad. :a16:
20190521_053845.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #10 compact

Satin Tip The Purest
St James Black Pepper & Lime
Gillette Super Speed

This one was a bit small. Probably would be good for travel. The handle had an almost rubber feel to it. Made a pretty decent lather and it brushed on well to the face. The knot spread out well. Had a good shave with this one. I would rate it about middle of the road from what i have used.

20190522_054549.jpg

Shave #11 Bulky

Edwin Jagger Silvertip
Proraso Green
Gillette Tech

This brush as I alluded to above was a bit bulky. I felt like it took a long time to whip up a nice lather. Once I got that done the large knot on this thing really spread out well on my face. Had to be careful not to get on too far outside the shaving area this thing was big. I liked the material and look of the handle but overall it was just too bulky for me. Good shave though. Just a few more days left. Im not gonna make it through all these brushes. Gotta be picky here in the remaining days.

20190525_214933.jpg

Shave #12
Green Bay Pakers? No label on this brush
Tobbs Avocad
Gilette Tech

Well this brush whipped up a lather at warp speed. It was a little watery (my fault) but this brush was ULTRA soft. It basically almost flattened out on my face. No real backbone to this one. It was comfortable on the skin though. Again the handle was a bit large for my taste and i also like a more rounded shape. Almost done!
20190527_124604.jpg

Well sad day for me but great for the next person. The box is on the move! Dropped it off today with extra insurance up to $100. Stil have a few more reviews to post. I had a great time trying out some great brushes. Now the hard part trying to decide which ones to buy! :001_302:

20190601_130357-jpg.986384

Morning everyone,
I received the box last night thanks @Rudd4Prez ! Everything looked great and to be in good order. I thought there would be 14 brushes. I haven't counted them but there look to be more than that. The box happened to arrive just in time for me to be participating in a shaving "game" over on reddit so these may end up being some interesting shaves. Today was cologne dupe day and sponsored by Stirling so I broke out the Stirling Kong. I appreciate the brush being in the box because I would never purchase something like this just to try it out. It was an absolute beast with the sample of Dunshire I used and had a very soft feel on my face. I liked it a lot. I always have to clean-up after I lather so it just made things more efficient being able to move that much lather across my face all at once. It was a real shocker to me this morning. Here's the photo I took. I did it last night before I realized that I should use the Stirling Kong. I need to take a moment and take an inventory of everything that's in there tonight and figure out where to go to next.

proxy.php
[/url][/IMG]

@mightyeskimo What can you tell me about the Red resin brush with the lighter colored knot in the box. I liked both the shape of the handle and the knot. I couldn't find any information about the brush in the box though.

Thanks,
Badlander

@mightyeskimo What can you tell me about the Red resin brush with the lighter colored knot in the box. I liked both the shape of the handle and the knot. I couldn't find any information about the brush in the box though.

Thanks,
Badlander

Good morning @Badlander13! I'm glad the box arrived in good order. I believe that brush is the AP Shave Co SynBad donated by @Grundi. I'll see if I can dig up some more details. It's my favorite handle in the box!

Good morning @Badlander13! I'm glad the box arrived in good order. I believe that brush is the AP Shave Co SynBad donated by @Grundi. I'll see if I can dig up some more details. It's my favorite handle in the box!
@mightyeskimo and @Badlander13, it is indeed an AP Shape Co SynBad 24mm and absolutely gorgeous!! However, I cannot take credit for donating it. I was second to use it; @REV579 was first. He might have donated it. Checking my notes, and brushes are definitely personal preference, I very much like that brush.

@mightyeskimo and @Badlander13, it is indeed an AP Shave Co SynBad 24mm and absolutely gorgeous!! However, I cannot take credit for donating it. I was second to use it; @REV579 was first. He might have donated it. Checking my notes, and brushes are definitely personal preference, I very much like that brush.
Yes, it took a while to get it, but we need to thank AP Shave Co, as we received one of the early ones.

Make/ModelKnot SizeLoftTotal HeightWeight
Maggard B&W 100T Tuxedo(my benchmark)20mm46mm99mm39g
APShaveCo SynBad24mm56mm120mm92g
THIS WEEK'S BRUSH:
APShaveCo SynBad (24 mm/56 mm; 120 mm total height, 92 g.) Forgive my use of the stock photo, but my camera images were not nearly as accurate as the stock photo.
View attachment 885816
View attachment 885817

THIS WEEK’S SOAP:
ToOBS Sandalwood & ToOBS St. James Luxury
Handle: The heavy Ruby Ripple handle looks nice and feels nice in the hand. It is like most of the barber-style resin handles, but certainly appreciate a rippled color.

Softness/Feel of the Knot: This knot has really soft tips and really didn't have much scritch. This is a really soft knot.

Backbone: This knot has the soft-tips of a tuxedo, but not nearly the backbone. Great with the ToOBS.

Splay: The knot opened up well, without much pressure and would certainly be a great candidate for a daily brush/razor combination.

Water Retention: It held the water well and could hold more or less depending on how I decided to use it.

Loading Soap: This brush was able to load and hold the lather great.

Building Lather: The brush lathered up nicely, the lather was good and rich. Like so many of the synthetic brushes, it rendered a nice manual release of the lather.

Summary: This brush arrived to the pass-around a bit late, but with a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm. Since I would have a couple of days with the brush, I decided to try it in a number of different way: 3-days growth, 2-days growth, and 24 hrs later. In the end, this brush worked on my face best without more than 2-days growth. The softness of the brush and tips really made the creaminess of the lather more noticeable without much stubble. As the stubble was longer, the more the bristles were influenced by the extra growth. This brush could be a serious go-to brush for summer sunburns.
Other information related to the brush:
The knot is set at a depth of 12mm
The knot has an overall height of 68mm
The handle has an opening of 26mm

I would rate this brush around the the Timberwolf Grey, setting a preference based on one's expectation of the firmness of backbone. It's a brush that really reminds me of the Cashmere.

Mühle Silvertip Fibre > Vie Long Silvertip Extra Soft
B&W Maggard Synthetic > Timberwolf Grey(Satin Tip Handle) APShaveCo SynBad > RazoRock Plissoft = Whipped Dog Satin Tip The Purest > Stirling Kong > L'Occitane Plisson > Edwin Jagger Silvertip > Zenith TS 505AK > Omega Hi-Brush

Top Bottom