What's new

Wiborg on eBay as "Unobtainium" for 4x retail price.

Ok, So I read that they aren't selling brushes anymore... but I seem to recall these guys didn't make their own knots... so couldn't you find a maker who uses the same knots even if Wiborg isn't selling any more? Surely their handles aren't worth $750 premium. Never used one myself and they do look like nice brushes... but it's not like Rooney Finest (Hair isn't available anymore) or the preban ivory Plissons or some other ACTUAL unobtainium... What's going on here?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Someone might be trying to cash in on the resurgence of traditional wet shaving. Just a guess.

I do know people were offering slightly over retail for them on forums/trading pages... but nothing like what this guy is asking.

With listings like that I love to just lob in really low offers, just to amuse myself and annoy them a little...

My two favorite brushes are very large silvertips, 30 mm X 70 mm and 30 X 69 mm. The 69 has a shorter handle but softer silvertip. Very similar brushes but enough different to keep them both. I have a 38 mm Frank Shaving silvertip and don't like it nearly as much. It is so dense that it is like shaving with a fuzzy tennis ball.

It's simple supply and demand. There is a demand and very little supply.

While that particular one is priced a bit high I've seen Wilborg brushes sell in the $700 plus range. It's crazy to think about but that one would likely sell if it were priced around this mark and they buyer would likely be very happy to get it.

Varlet is kinda the same way as with the difficulty in attaining one I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell at twice retail or more. Black Eagle would be another that could be above the $500 mark for a brush.

On top of this higher end retail brush prices seem to be rising as a result of the secondary market seeing these crazy prices. Makers of the current top brushes have taken this as a sign to raise their prices as well. Paladin, Black Eagle and Declaration all have brushes, very close to, or in some cases, well above the $300 mark.

On top of this higher end retail brush prices seem to be rising as a result of the secondary market seeing these crazy prices. Makers of the current top brushes have taken this as a sign to raise their prices as well. Paladin, Black Eagle and Declaration all have brushes, very close to, or in some cases, well above the $300 mark.

Still a major bargain when compared to a $500 Simpsons.

Top Bottom