What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

I only just got my self a black Arkansas from dans . I have not used it yet but do you guys who use Arkansas after coticule find any difference?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I only just got my self a black Arkansas from dans . I have not used it yet but do you guys who use Arkansas after coticule find any difference?

In using the Ark a difference from the coticule? Yes, the Arks are much less forgiving. No slurry. My Arks are slower than my coticule.

In the Ark edge vs my coticule's edges? Yes, the Ark edges are sharper (at some of them). Not that I don't like coticule edges (some are super sharp) but generally my coticule edges can be improved by the Ark.

Congratulations on your Arkansas stone,

Jim

Yes a difference, whether it’s an improvement or just a difference depends on your face and the Coticule I think. I have a small 150x30 vintage that’s lightning fast on water, but can leave a little bit of a dull/rounded feeling edge. I find about going to full finish on the coti then 20-40 laps on my giant black ark leaves a sort of hybrid ark/coti edge, somewhere 60-100 laps the edge is all ark. Even past 100 laps though I can tell which razors of mine went synthetic progression to ark and which went coti to ark. Also Keep in mind your ark will improve with use as the surface becomes more polished, so even if you’re not immediately impressed it pays to keep honing.

As a general rule the ark edges are keener but still forgiving on skin.

Great reply’s I have just got round to lapping the surface to 15000 grit whet and dry I also worked the surface with a old razor . I will have to give it ago this week end . What do you guys use on the surface to hone with? Water or fine oil ?

Great reply’s I have just got round to lapping the surface to 15000 grit whet and dry I also worked the surface with a old razor . I will have to give it ago this week end . What do you guys use on the surface to hone with? Water or fine oil ?
Given your experience with cotis I feel that the ark will help to enhance your already amazing edges.

To hone I would use an oil or even dish soap.

Those opinions vary all over the map too. I’d recommend you try something very light viscosity and then something very heavy viscosity to see where your preference lies. I’ll use running water, water with some type of cohesion changing additive like Ballistol or Dish soap, or a mix of heavy pharmacy mineral oil and alcohol (everclear-95% pure and drinkable).

Personally I like the heavier mineral oil/alcohol mix and the feedback of either pushing the blade down through it and feeling some cutting action or letting the blade skate along with almost no cutting towards the finish. Ballistol and water mix is a good light viscosity fluid and has the benefit of turning white so you can really see the undercut on a black stone clear as day.

Yes a difference, whether it’s an improvement or just a difference depends on your face and the Coticule I think. I have a small 150x30 vintage that’s lightning fast on water, but can leave a little bit of a dull/rounded feeling edge. I find about going to full finish on the coti then 20-40 laps on my giant black ark leaves a sort of hybrid ark/coti edge, somewhere 60-100 laps the edge is all ark. Even past 100 laps though I can tell which razors of mine went synthetic progression to ark and which went coti to ark. Also Keep in mind your ark will improve with use as the surface becomes more polished, so even if you’re not immediately impressed it pays to keep honing.

As a general rule the ark edges are keener but still forgiving on skin.
This pretty well sums it up for me too

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use or have used as lubricants on my four Arks.
  1. Ballistol/water mostly 1:4, but all sorts of amounts of water added from drops to lots and lots.
  2. Straight Ballistol.
  3. Water from a spray bottle.
  4. Running water at the sink.
  5. Synthetic oils.
  6. Sewing machine oil (a very thin mineral oil).
  7. Numerous proprietary honing oils.
  8. Thick mineral oils & thick mineral oil diluted with various solvents (but not ETOH although Everclear sounds good).
  9. 3 in 1 oils (there are several).
  10. Others.
Mostly now I use numbers 1-4.

In terms of the results I think they all work well enough. Subjectively I like some and dislike others; for instance the thick mineral oil works fine but I don't enjoy using it.

Does it matter? Maybe not at all.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Here's my modest Arkansas collection........

0228191049.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
For those of you that are wondering which stone is best, the black or translucent, I finally have the answer for you...

Top Bottom