What's new

Most efficient daily razors by brand?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
In another thread, I asked input on the most efficient razor that can be used on a daily basis. This thread is similar, but I want to break it out by brand.

For instance, the iKon tech is certainly very efficient, but I can't shave with it every day. Too much irritation.

The PAA Ascension stainless, or the RS10 aggressive plate, are very efficient, and I can use them daily.

So let's get a list going! Parker, Merkur, Muhle, EJ, Yaqi, Baili, there are a ton out there! If any of you has extensive knowledge of any brand in particular, what are its most efficient razors that you can use every day?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have the Timeless SS .95OC, Karve CB with D plate, Razorock Game Changer .84P. All are good for daily use and quite efficient. Also, I have a Blackland Dart which is very efficient and could possibly be used everyday, but as in the case with all of them, YMMV. Everyone is different. All work well for me.

Karve C plate - efficient, can use daily

Timeless SS .68 - less efficient but can use daily

Fatip Piccolo SE - efficient, can use daily

Razorock SLOC - less efficient but can use daily for extended lengths of time with no irritation

Eversharp Krona - less efficient but daily use is a breeze

If I understand correctly we are looking at razor brand rather than individual razor. Therefore something like Wolfman with multiple gaps and Charcoal /ATT / Timeless with 2 or 3 plates/gaps may not qualify. Neither would Razorock, IMO, which has several mild but many vastly different performing razors even though some are exceptionally smooth and/or efficient. I am not sure the Karve with only a (wide gap F plate) open/closed comb is quite there or the discontinued Raw Shaving (RS 10/18) could match.

Regarding BRAND EFFICIENCY I would submit the following for consideration:

1. Merkur Adjustables (Progress/Mergress, Futur & Vision) when wide open (largest gaps) are very efficient
2. Paradigm (Ti1, 17-4, Ti2 and SE when comparing to other SE razors) are extremely smooth and as a group efficient to very efficient.

Let's see where this rabbit hole goes ...

Karve on plates B and C,
Merkur Progress on setting 1-1.5. Muhle R89.
Rasorock German slant 37 (with a handle from Muhle R89, i.e., a light handle)
Sometimes Parker Variant is set at 1-0.5
But the undisputed leader is Karve. With him I can shave and 5 o clock shadow)))

In no particular order:

Gillette Old Type and New Type
Barbasol Floating Head
Schick Type E injector
GEM Micromatic
This is a good list. Razors that are considered "aggressive," but with the right technique can easily be used for daily shaving. I have used all of the above except for the Barbasol daily for extended periods of time without any problem at all.

If you find a razor to cause irritation if used daily, may I suggest that you examine your shaving routine and technique. I have very sensitive skin that is easily irritated. However, I can shave with any razor on a daily basis as long as I take the following precautions. Hopefully, one or more of these tips will work for you.

1. Use the right blade in the razor. If I put a Feather blade in my Muhle R41 and shave every day, I will get irritation, but if I put a 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver or Voskhod blade in that razor, I will be fine. However, I can use a Feather blade in a less aggressive razor.
2. Be sure your pre-shave routine is excellent. I generally shower before I shave and use both a shampoo and conditioner on my beard as well as my hair. If your beard is clean and hydrated it will shave more easily.
3. Make sure you are using a top quality shave soap that provides excellent slickness, cushion and post shave moisturizing and conditioning. If your skin gets irritated easily, a great soap will help prevent that irritation and will help heal any slight irritation that might occur. Do not try to get by with a cheap soap.
4. When shaving be sure to maintain the proper shave angle. Many people shave with an angle that is too steep such that the blade is scraping off skin cells along with your beard. If you are "shaving off the guard", try to shave at a more shallow angle either by shaving at a neural angle or "shaving off the cap". That will allow the blade to cut more cleanly.
5. Always shave using minimal pressure. Allow the razor to do the job for which it was designed. If you have to apply pressure tp get a close shave something else is wrong.
7. Because I use soaps with good conditioning properties, I typically apply witch hazel as my aftershave; but you might find a good aftershave or shave balm to be helpful.

Top Bottom