What's new

Hm...a rethink about the Astra SP

Used Astra SPs exclusively for my first 2 years of wet shaving, then tried many others and settled on GSBs, Nacets, Polsilvers, and Yellows. Really love all four of those and sold off my remaining Astra stock, save for a few tucks.

Just threw an Astra into my Rockwell on plate 4 for old time's sake and had a phenomenal shave. Honest to God, there is not a micron of hair left on my face or neck and I didn't come within a country mile of a weeper or nick. Smooooooth sailing every step of the way. Alum stick was pure radio silence and the aftershave had no sting.

Astra + Rockwell 6s = :a14:

Maybe I shoulda kept those Astras, they were the old ones with the black printing and less glue :001_cool:

A top tier blade is certainly of no little importance, but after awhile one notices (if they are observant) that certain soaps/creams "pave the road" better which greatly aids glide. Of course this is taking into account that a person has good prep and technique to begin with.

True, that. I bought a 2 oz squirt bottle of "pre shave oil" which I've been using that lately. 2 squirts into the hand, rub over skin, then apply lather - makes a huge difference. Haven't seen redness since.

Astra SP is an excellent blade, I agree with you. Thank you for your post. Sounds like you may be adding some to your den.

I've had some pretty great shaves from them before too. I've got blades I prefer to the Astras, mostly because they're less sharp and there's less of a chance of irritation. But they really do work well. And you can't beat the price of them. They really are one of the best!

Used Astra SPs exclusively for my first 2 years of wet shaving, then tried many others and settled on GSBs, Nacets, Polsilvers, and Yellows. Really love all four of those and sold off my remaining Astra stock, save for a few tucks.

Just threw an Astra into my Rockwell on plate 4 for old time's sake and had a phenomenal shave. Honest to God, there is not a micron of hair left on my face or neck and I didn't come within a country mile of a weeper or nick. Smooooooth sailing every step of the way. Alum stick was pure radio silence and the aftershave had no sting.

Astra + Rockwell 6s = :a14:

Maybe I shoulda kept those Astras, they were the old ones with the black printing and less glue :001_cool:

No ‘maybe!’ You shoulda kept those Astras!! :a14::a14:

A top tier blade is certainly of no little importance, but after awhile one notices (if they are observant) that certain soaps/creams "pave the road" better which greatly aids glide. Of course this is taking into account that a person has good prep and technique to begin with.

Proper preparation of your beard and face before the shave is critical. Human hair when dry has a tensile strength similar to that of copper wire of similar diameter. Thus, the more coarse the hair (larger the diameter), the more difficult it will be to sever during the shave. When exposed to water, the hair follicles swell in diameter, but decrease in strength. Thus, you beard should be clean and well-hydrated prior to the shave, either by showering or using soap and hot towels to accomplish the same thing. During your shave, a well hydrated shave later will keep the beard hydrated and lubricate your face as the blade slides across your face.

I usually return to the Astra SP brand after a run with a different brand. Always get a very nice shave which seems to be my standard for comparison. There are other brands I like just as well but based on price these blades are a deal.

Astra SP is an excellent blade, I agree with you. Thank you for your post. Sounds like you may be adding some to your den.

I did buy 100 haha

I must admit it is strange to have gone through a massive blade exploration process and purchasing binge, only to rediscover the Astra, the very first blade I used on my first wet shave.

I feel like Dorothy realizing that what she wants is just to go back to Kansas. :001_cool:

I think Astra SP are "good" blades. Maybe, "very good" blades. But I stop just short of calling them "great". However, I will call them a great value!

When I started this DE journey, the first blade to arrive in the post was a Feather. That was a big contrast compared to the budget carts I had been using. I only had one tuck so they soon ran out and he next batch of blades to arrive were at the opposite end of the spectrum: Dorco, Derby, Big Ben etc. Very disappointing compared to a Feather. Then my order of 50 Astra SP's arrived and the clouds parted the angels sang. Not only where they smooth and sharp but they lasted longer than any blade I had used at the time including Feathers. These days I mainly use Polsilvers or 7 O'Clock Yellows. But when I occasionally use an Astra SP I am never disappointed, still sharp enough and smooth, a great blade.

When I started this DE journey, the first blade to arrive in the post was a Feather. That was a big contrast compared to the budget carts I had been using. I only had one tuck so they soon ran out and he next batch of blades to arrive were at the opposite end of the spectrum: Dorco, Derby, Big Ben etc. Very disappointing compared to a Feather. Then my order of 50 Astra SP's arrived and the clouds parted the angels sang. Not only where they smooth and sharp but they lasted longer than any blade I had used at the time including Feathers. These days I mainly use Polsilvers or 7 O'Clock Yellows. But when I occasionally use an Astra SP I am never disappointed, still sharp enough and smooth, a great blade.
I'd say that's placing the Astra's with some damn fine company! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom